• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Digests (The Battle of The 100 Pages)
2 2

145 posts in this topic

I would like to start off this thread dedicated DC digests.

DC digests has been under value for many years. They really weren’t collected because of their reprint stories, some digests had some new material but mostly were just reprints. When they were bought from local marts or comic shops most weren’t handle with care. What really intrigue me with these books, they were oddly small and having no advertisements on the back covers. Most had original art on the front covers and if not all had original art on the back covers. I’m assuming getting these books in high grade (9.6 or above) is achievement. Why am I assuming??? Looking at the CGC census not too many has been graded. Couple of reasons, not many survived in great condition from the late 70’s and early 80’s, because no one thought these reprinted material would worth anything, so that means it wasn’t properly handled or properly storage. Also, allot of them had extreme printing defects.

Including…

1.) Overhang

2.) Glue on front/back covers

3.) Glue wasn’t set smoothly along the spine and result to wrinkly spine edges.

4.) Printing tears.

5.) Horizontal line across usually on back covers that sometime breaks color

6.) Etc…

I've recently post pictures of these defects. You can view the defects by going to the link below.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5607347&Searchpage=1&Main=255267&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post5607347

I will be posting front and back covers Of my digests books that I’ve been able to find or from my personal collection that I have been storing for years. I have been recently getting these books graded so my enjoyment has been an all time high.

Please feel free to post your DC digests.

Here to start off.

I saw this on ebay but at the time I was collecting JSA related books so I decided not to buy it. But when I decided to buy this digest it was no longer available on ebay. Luckily a board member gave me the seller's email address so I can acquire the book.

This late 70's digest is a bit hard to find in high grade.

BestofDC2-1.jpg

BestofDC2-2.jpg

Edited by vane

I have a little different take on condition, I do think that a number of these are out there in high grade, although demand is decent as well so prices are usually better than comics of the era.

I think the lack of staples and the solid structure of the books kept them in decent shape at comic stores or in collections with reasonable storage and handling. In other words, a box of these kept un bagged and un boarded would survive in 9.4-9.8 condition much easier than a box of comics in the same type of storing and average light handling.

I could easily be biased too as I bought two collections of these digests of about 100 books each and they were both very nice. I also bought a collection of about 300 Richie Rich digests which also were ultra nice overall. But again, demand for these is similar to treasuries, if you have them in 9.0 and up collectors want them.

Ed

I have a little different take on condition, I do think that a number of these are out there in high grade, although demand is decent as well so prices are usually better than comics of the era.

Ed

You might be right. The digests are seem to be more sturdy compare to regular comics, but like I said before...no one would thought these would worth anything when they came out. My older brother (10 years older) saw them in the market places but did not buy them. I asked him why didn't he collect them, he said they look like little kiddy books. And allot of them were handled without care.

I think the lack of staples and the solid structure of the books kept them in decent shape at comic stores or in collections with reasonable storage and handling. In other words, a box of these kept un bagged and un boarded would survive in 9.4-9.8 condition much easier than a box of comics in the same type of storing and average light handling.

I could easily be biased too as I bought two collections of these digests of about 100 books each and they were both very nice. I also bought a collection of about 300 Richie Rich digests which also were ultra nice overall. But again, demand for these is similar to treasuries, if you have them in 9.0 and up collectors want them.

Ed

I'm with you on this. There are tons of digests out there in HG. Cases and cases, 100's of 1000's of unread ones. The perfect example is the DC Tarzan digest. People used to think it was rare, now you trip over HG copies. Lots of the difficulty in finding them is an artifact of dealers not wanting to carry them, lots of collectors not wanting them because they assume they are all reprints, etc.

That said, I do think the inherent printing issues would make it challenging to find uber HG.

And they sure are fun.

I have hundreds of high grade digests :whee:

Cool.

I haven't seen you post any digests. Will you be getting them graded soon? Or you think it just not worth getting it graded?

Edited by vane

I found this raw on ebay and submitted to CGC at Terry's comic convention in January of this year. The only thing wrong with it is the top front cover has the art from the back cover. This is extremely common with digests books. Many of my digests has this flaw. If you can find one without that production flaw it will be a plus. It look like there was no quality control when these books were being printed.

DCSpecialSeries24-1.jpg

DCSpecialSeries24-2.jpg

Edited by vane

Here is another steal I got from ebay. Doug Sulipa states the last 5 issues in the DC Special Blue Ribbon Digests had a low print run. Tied that into the production Flaws, and being mis-handled it might be hard to find in a 9.8.

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest23-1.jpg

DCSpecialBlueRibbonDigest23-2.jpg

Let me clarify on what is scarce. If there are (10) 9.8's CGC (or maybe more) that is still scarce NOT rare but scarce. That's just my opinion.

Edited by vane

Cool.

I haven't seen you post any digests. Will you be getting them graded soon? Or you think it just not worth getting it graded?

Nope, not even close to being worth my time.

Cool.

Nope, not even close to being worth my time.

Then would you be willing to sell your digests?

pm sent.