• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
21 21

4,764 posts in this topic

That's the story. First part of the Marvels were sold off a while back. The rest of the Marvels and DC have now surfaced and are scattered to the 4 corners of the earth already.

That's the story. First part of the Marvels were sold off a while back. The rest of the Marvels and DC have now surfaced and are scattered to the 4 corners of the earth already.

To get a decent shot at Dave's books, you not only need to be there very early on set-up day, you need a flame thrower to chase the hyenas away from his boxes.

It's amazing that the carcass wasn't entirely picked over and you were able to score that book. But you know that already.

To get a decent shot at Dave's books, you not only need to be there very early on set-up day, you need a flame thrower to chase the hyenas away from his boxes.

It's amazing that the carcass wasn't entirely picked over and you were able to score that book. But you know that already.

What was funny about this year is Dave just set up and said he was open for business. Usually he draws cards for dealers to look through his new books.

The black swoosh on the books kept lots of nice copies available for bottom feeders like me. I have about 8 other hard to find PF's from the collection I hope to scan tomorrow.

The black swoosh on the books kept lots of nice copies available for bottom feeders like me. I have about 8 other hard to find PF's from the collection I hope to scan tomorrow.

I had an X-Men #52 from the same collection. And because it's a black cover and it was black marker swoosh, CGC dinged it with a PLOD for color touch. I guess I could have pleaded the case and showed CGC other examples from the collection. But it didn't seem worth the bother. And it's a weird thing to determine the intent in a situation like that.

Here is a tease. Most were in this shape or nicer. elieve it or not I was the 5th person to pick through this box and this book was still sitting there.

1001-1.jpg

Va-va-voom! That is too freakin' sweet.

Sign me up, Big Guy... I want to place my order! :idea:

Here is a tease. Most were in this shape or nicer. elieve it or not I was the 5th person to pick through this box and this book was still sitting there.

Great book, Joe!

I think I know the source of that book. I've bought a number of similarly marked books from a certain dealer years ago. The dealer explained that the books came from brothers who started out sharing a collection. But that plan didn't work out because one of them started marking the books like that to show that it was his book.

I don't own this book anymore, but I still have the scan:

JungleAction1b.jpg

Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!

More than fifteen certified Picture Frames in the MC Chest.

That's me book, GT.

And I thank you and JP for t' aftstory.

By t' way... I recently upgraded that copy with t' following booty.

JA-1_9-8.jpg

Okay, Framers, big time Marvel horror fan here.

Been that why since the Old Days, good times I remember.

Always loved reading the Where Monsters Dwell books.

Those were fun days, filled with simple pleasure.

So when the opportunity presented itself to own an original boyhood memory,

To take me back to a world gone away, from gold days I'll always treasure.

I jumped at the chance.

The book is a stock image from the MC personal collection.

While the cover art is a recently procured Kane Frame masterpiece.

I hope that you will enjoy, and trust that it will take you back to a world gone away.

As these memories seem like just yesterday...

WMD-17.jpg

WMD-17_cover.jpg

The line art is AWESOME, am I the only one that thinks the actual product really does not so it justice?

Congrats on picking this up (thumbs u

Does anyone know the story behind the origin if the Picture Frame books?

Was it a marketing gimmick (by Stan?) to draw attention to Marvel books - I wonder if the picture-frame covers had an impact on the number of books sold...and why were they discontinued?

So many questions...

Edited by AtlasFan

Does anyone know the story behind the origin if the Picture Frame books?

Was it a marketing gimmick (by Stan?) to draw attention to Marvel books - I wonder if the picture-frame covers had an impact on the number of books sold...and why were they discontinued?

So many questions...

Marvel started them when they decided to raise cover prices from 15 to 25 cents, and publish giant-size comics. The move lasted all of one month, but they decided to keep the picture frame cover scheme after deciding to go forward with 20 cent regular sized comics.

Not long ago I had the opportunity to up-grade an old friend.

A friend I don't actually remember where or when purchasing but it is one I remember

reading and rereading (mostly gawking at the strange art) many, many moons ago.

When I purchased the upgrade I embarked upon the task of locating the old friend,

as I wanted to see for myself just how she'd aged down through the years.

After several days of searching she was finally found in a long box with many old friends

from days gone by.

Visually worn, tattered and tired she had obviously aged. But in seeing that I did not care.

As she still retains that special place within my comic-book heart.

CTB-14_reader.jpg

CTB-14.jpg

I think you've become the Suscha King of the North, Peter. Sweet books.

Thanks GT. (thumbs u A couple of these could have better wraps but they were still hard to ignore. Very bright, glossy covers with fresh pages, something that I find is lacking in a lot of the pedigrees that have been already around for a few years.

I think you've become the Suscha King of the North, Peter. Sweet books.

Thanks GT. (thumbs u A couple of these could have better wraps but they were still hard to ignore. Very bright, glossy covers with fresh pages, something that I find is lacking in a lot of the pedigrees that have been already around for a few years.

Yeah, definitely great colors on the Suscha books. I'm a fan of the Winnipeg, Western Penn, and Golden State bronze books, but I think the Suscha colors are nicer than any of them.