• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

When you walk in and drop a bomb like that you need to say a bit more than, "I'm in." :makepoint:

:shy:

I don't really have a history with this book as it was purchased in February of this year. I would love to say that I bought it years ago when it first came out and that I have hoarded it over the years and finally sent it to be slabbed...but I can't.

I have been chasing this book for over 25 years. When I was 14 I was able to buy number 2 and up in the comic store and bought a number 3 off the rack (with double cover) but haven't ever sent anything to CGC to be graded so it may be a while before anything happens with those...I had never seen a number 1 1st print in person in any condition and have been to many conventions where someone had just bought the last remaining copy 5 minutes before I showed up.

My wife was the one who actually bought the book as she saw it as a good investment over the next 20 years (as long as 200 9.8's don't get slabbed!) so I get to enjoy it by proxy and claim that it is in my collection. I had been talking about it for years and lamenting over how difficult it would be to get the chance to see one, let alone buy one. When it was available in Feb in the CL auction she took the opportunity and won.

Needless to say I'm a lucky guy to be able to drool over it in person, and even luckier that I didn't pay for it...

If anyone knows any history on this particular copy I would be grateful to hear about it.

When you walk in and drop a bomb like that you need to say a bit more than, "I'm in." :makepoint:

:shy:

I don't really have a history with this book as it was purchased in February of this year. I would love to say that I bought it years ago when it first came out and that I have hoarded it over the years and finally sent it to be slabbed...but I can't.

I have been chasing this book for over 25 years. When I was 14 I was able to buy number 2 and up in the comic store and bought a number 3 off the rack (with double cover) but haven't ever sent anything to CGC to be graded so it may be a while before anything happens with those...I had never seen a number 1 1st print in person in any condition and have been to many conventions where someone had just bought the last remaining copy 5 minutes before I showed up.

My wife was the one who actually bought the book as she saw it as a good investment over the next 20 years (as long as 200 9.8's don't get slabbed!) so I get to enjoy it by proxy and claim that it is in my collection. I had been talking about it for years and lamenting over how difficult it would be to get the chance to see one, let alone buy one. When it was available in Feb in the CL auction she took the opportunity and won.

Needless to say I'm a lucky guy to be able to drool over it in person, and even luckier that I didn't pay for it...

If anyone knows any history on this particular copy I would be grateful to hear about it.

Well..... you now gave this stellar copy a neatly put and expressed history upon your dear sweet Wife buying it.

I was eyeballing that book too for a spell. Glad that book found such an appreciative home to reside in, for what sounds a good long time.

Helleva beautiful book!

Welcome to the club!! (May I take your coat Sir?!?!) (worship)

Thanks, I'm gunning on achieving 9.8's on all the releases of the oversize issues...I know it may actually not be possible as there are very limited supplies of 9.8's but a goal should be a difficult one so as to be challenging...

I'm not interested in anything past issue 12, that's where I stopped reading them in my youth as I felt the art was not at the level that had hooked me in the first place... I'm excited to see if I can do this...I reckon #1 1st print was the hardest to get (and most expensive) but I think the #3 variant will be the most challenging...

Seeing as I only started collecting them in Feb of this year I think anything is possible... :wishluck:

Thought you guys might appreciate this picture:

turtles1-4a.jpg

First time all 5 have been together in a shot... :cloud9:

Funking super nice! Can I ask what the two #1's are? I'm drooling!

EDIT: I see a first print :headbang: and a third?

Edited by sessnet