• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,201 posts in this topic

Hmmm the only way I would feel comfortable about 1 - 5 people being in charge of the probation list would be if they didn't buy and sell here.

Too much power to give to too few of people.

Hmmm the only way I would feel comfortable about 1 - 5 people being in charge of the probation list would be if they didn't buy and sell here.

hm Maybe I should apply for the position. I don't need to buy anything else this year. This would be a good way to resist temptation.

hm Maybe I should apply for the position. I don't need to buy anything else this year. This would be a good way to resist temptation.

:wishluck:

They don't have the power to decide who goes on, just to update the list. Who goes on would still be decided the same way.

Before you were here, Divad pretty much handled the entire shebang himself...and did an outstanding job.

NO one took themselves on and off...

I'm not sure we need to have everyone have Mod powers, just put a notice on the top of the thread in Purple ;) Red saying it can only be changed by an agreed upon committee member.

and if Sagat tries to change it, just smack him upside down on his head (or nominate him for the Hall of Shame as someone suggested).

That's what's silly about the probation list; some clown can just take themselves off. It should be locked and only one member can update the list. There is someone I have in mind.

I agree 100% Since the probie list was Divads brain child I nominate him.

I have long felt the list itself should be locked in this way. I second Divad's nomination but think we need at least one other person (ideally two others) to insure realtime coverage, especially for things like hectic work days, being sick, going on vacation etc. It may also be good to have the other people in different time zones, maybe one on the East Coast and one in one of those odd European places. .

This is a good idea, but as my participation has been limited of late, I like POV's idea of having 4 or 5 authorized members. I'm fine with the three posters here and perhaps bosco as well? How about?

Povertyrow

oakman29

mikenyc

bosco

divad

Hell no.

HELL no.

:roflmao:

:popcorn:

The greatest weakness of the PL...the ability for there to be a "Am not! Are too!" back and forth...is also its greatest strength...it's a completely democratic process.

There is no way that a small group of people....even if it's only procedural power at this point...should have that kind of power.

It doesn't matter who the people are. It wouldn't matter if it was ME, and you gave ME the sole power...I would reject it.

It's a dangerous path to go down.

Keep the list as is. There are three people on that list that I personally would feel comfortable with and the other two, not so much.

I wouldn't trust myself with the responsibility. I'm too emotional at times.

Let's not make this more complicated than it needs be. The only reason why we are talking about it is because of one dutch puzzle (SAGAT). We don't need to reinvent the wheel because of one malcontent.

How would we go about locking the thread from the general population,and only five people having access to it? Would we need to ask Arch for moderator status only in the probie thread?

I've said this before... if you're going to involve Arch or Mods, just ask them to LOCK the words "PROBATION LIST" into the sig line of the offender.

Arch has proven that this lock of a sig line can be done. Then the offending party can't post anywhere without the brand of shame being evident.

Wouldn't be too hard either since there are only 50 or so HOS and Probation list members.

How would we go about locking the thread from the general population,and only five people having access to it? Would we need to ask Arch for moderator status only in the probie thread?

I've said this before... if you're going to involve Arch or Mods, just ask them to LOCK the words "PROBATION LIST" into the sig line of the offender.

Arch has proven that this lock of a sig line can be done. Then the offending party can't post anywhere without the brand of shame being evident.

Wouldn't be too hard either since there are only 50 or so HOS and Probation list members.

I think that is an excellent idea. :applause:

Keep the list as is. There are three people on that list that I personally would feel comfortable with and the other two, not so much.

I wouldn't trust myself with the responsibility. I'm too emotional at times.

Let's not make this more complicated than it needs be. The only reason why we are talking about it is because of one dutch puzzle (SAGAT). We don't need to reinvent the wheel because of one malcontent.

I hope you feel comfortable with me? I don't sell,well only one book to you.Thanks for that. :hi:

+1

That would be PERFECT!

The greatest weakness of the PL...the ability for there to be a "Am not! Are too!" back and forth...is also its greatest strength...it's a completely democratic process.

There is no way that a small group of people....even if it's only procedural power at this point...should have that kind of power.

It doesn't matter who the people are. It wouldn't matter if it was ME, and you gave ME the sole power...I would reject it.

It's a dangerous path to go down.

Do you feel the same way about the unspeakable "power" that a few members have in the Virtual Comic Con hosted here? :facepalm:

Or the awesome power of the Mods themselves?

There is no "power" here. It is a purely administrative job.

That's what's silly about the probation list; some clown can just take themselves off. It should be locked and only one member can update the list. There is someone I have in mind.

I have long felt the list itself should be locked in this way. I second Divad's nomination but think we need at least one other person (ideally two others) to insure realtime coverage, especially for things like hectic work days, being sick, going on vacation etc. It may also be good to have the other people in different time zones, maybe one on the East Coast and one in one of those odd European places. .

This is a good idea, but as my participation has been limited of late, I like POV's idea of having 4 or 5 authorized members. I'm fine with the three posters here and perhaps bosco as well? How about?

Povertyrow

oakman29

mikenyc

bosco

divad

Thanks Divad but I would not want to be that involved anymore. As I had said a while back, "Pov doesn't work here anymore" and then my stripper vids were pulled. :( I do think you and a few others would be good for the list itself, because having it locked, which is part of the reason, would also prevent all the trash posts that keep littering it.

Looking at the posts centering on all of this and the mess the Probation List thread itself is in, I'm glad to be out of it.

:foryou:

+1

That would be PERFECT!

That was suggested a long time ago... I thought it would make a nice custom title....it didn't seem to fly with the Mods.

Povertyrow

oakman29

mikenyc

bosco

divad

Thanks Divad but I would not want to be that involved anymore. As I had said a while back, "Pov doesn't work here anymore" and then my stripper vids were pulled. :( I do think you and a few others would be good for the list itself, because having it locked, which is part of the reason, would also prevent all the trash posts that keep littering it.

Looking at the posts centering on all of this and the mess the Probation List thread itself is in, I'm glad to be out of it.

:foryou:

Without moderator assistance it isnt worth the time or emotions. 2c

+1

That would be PERFECT!

That was suggested a long time ago... I thought it would make a nice custom title....it didn't seem to fly with the Mods.

It continues to amaze me that the Mods can consistantly pull a pic of a girl in a bathing suit or a slight political comment, but can't help enforce an issue that would actually protect board members.

Not saying that Mods aren't helpful or needed... just a 2c

I think you've done a great job in these PL threads POV :applause: - I know you worked hard documenting all the rules.

You've resisted taking the easy road on some nominations, when opposing the mob was the right thing to do. You always state your reasoning clearly yet you are very open minded when considering the opinions of others.

(worship)

+1

That would be PERFECT!

It continues to amaze me that the Mods can consistantly pull a pic of a girl in a bathing suit or a slight political comment, but can't help enforce an issue that would actually protect board members.

Not saying that Mods aren't helpful or needed... just a 2c

This has been discussed before. There is a huge difference between maintaining the contents of the boards (removing photos etc) and branding individual users with negative siglines and/or custom titles. Why should CGC put themselves in such a potentially actionable position?