• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen 13
1 1

226 posts in this topic

This is why these boards rock.

A friend bumps a page you have never seen and then you go digging through a collection you bought to find things that matter...

7005984401_a035ffdbd5_z.jpg

yeah that was a nice trip to help you get the collection

As soon as I saw this board, I had to join in the conversation!

Pretty much the one series I really got into into from the first issue was Gen 13.

Over e years, I have been very lucky, and even got the following:

- the special chromium #1 from the boxset, signed by Campbell

- a do-it-yourself cover that Jim Lee signed and drew Fairchild on at Sdcc 1996

- a do-it-yourself cover that Campbell signed and drew Fairchild on at C2E2 2010 (I told him I'd been waiting 15 years for that moment!)

- a #11 European Tour edition signed by all 4 guys (Lee, Choi and Garner at Sdcc in 1996, and then signed by Campbell at c2e2 in 2010)

-1a & 1b that I got signed by Campbell and Garner at Sdcc 1995 (waited in a 2 hr line for those)

-1J signed by Campbell (notice a Fairchild pattern yet with me?)

-8 through 17 signed by Garner and Choi (I plopped those down in front of them at Sdcc 1996)

Btw, someone had questions about a hardcover collection of the original mini-series. There was a release, but I believe it was under 1000 copies print-run. I ordered a used copy from a seller online in the last few days, and can't wait to finally get this.

Btw, once I get the chance, I'll post up some scans of my collection to prove what I have.

On a final note, I got the last Holofoil variant cover chase card from the first Wildstorm Archives set today, and bought a clean doityourself for $6 from a local comic shop. I was hoping to ask Alex Garner to draw on it at this year's C2E2, but he cancelled his upcoming appearance. It's my dream to have an interpretation of Caitlin Fairchild drawn by Lee, Campbell, and Garner (if I could find Brandon Choi and just get him to sign a DIY cover, I'd be fine with that too).

I swear, this last week I'm the guy struggling to regain his youth.

1: I completed the Holofoil chase cards from Wildstorm Archives 1 that had 11 of the 13 variant covers (just took 17 years to complete!)

2 : I completed the chase cards from Wildstorm Archives 2 that had the Whilce Portacio art (just took me 16 years to complete)

And

3 : after 18 years, I finally obtained the hardcover collection of the Gen 13 miniseries, still sealed, and #0756 out of only 1000 (there's a card signed by Campbell inside, but I'm not sure I should break the seal. I also have an unopened copy of Wizard Magazine that had the G13 girls on the cover).

Plus, I noticed noone's done a blog piece on the variant covers, so I'm planning that post, along with full-image scans and more.

Is 200 too much to spend on the red box set?

That sounds like a steal to me. I recall my local comic store owner in Iowa back in 1995, saying it was going for around $500 at the time it came out (not sure where he heard it from, though).

Btw, I was cleaning out my storage space as I am planning to move to a new apt in less than a week, and after perusing over my Gen 13 collection, was amazed how much I had gotten signed at SDCC in 1996 and 1997. Here's an updated list:

1996 SDCC (Signed by Brandon Choi and Alex Garner):

Gen 13 #5 (mini-series)

Gen 13 #0

Gen 13 #7

Gen 13 #9

Gen 13 #10

Gen 13 #11

Gen 13 #11 (European Tour Edition)

Wetworks #2 (Variant Cover)

1997 SDCC (signed by Wildstorm FX colorists Martin Jimenez & Joe Chiodo):

Gen 13 #17

Gen 13 #18

Gen 13 #19

Gen 13 #20

(yeah, they just did colors, but these guy were using light/dark gradient color work that was blowing my teenage mind!).

Previously, I had mentioned that I had a couple covers drawn on by Jim Lee and J Scott Campbell. Well, I made that part of my entertainment blog's post about the Gen 13 Variant Covers:

http://theentertainmentnut.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/gimmicks-of-yesteryear-the-13-variant-covers-of-gen-13-1/