Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#5597416 - 04/13/12 09:32 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: goldust40]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
 Originally Posted By: goldust40
Rose may go on and on about how great his current band is, but creatively he is more or less finished, and is basically coasting on the classic material he co-wrote with the original line-up(s) 20 or so years ago.

I think Chinese Democracy was actually a pretty good album - certainly better than 95% of the "rock" albums that come out nowadays. True, it didn't live up to expectations, but, really, how could it after the years and years of anticipation? Still, there are some really solid tracks on the album...songs like "This I Love", "Better" and "Prostitute" I think are better than a lot of the material on the UYIllusion albums.

As for Axl's comments, as a huge fan of the band (I've seen them live 6x, including the band's longest and most epic concert performance ever at the L.A. Forum in 1991, as chronicled in Slash's excellent autobiography), of course I'm disappointed about Axl's continuing unwillingness to reconcile. That said, if there are lingering unresolved issues, if I was Axl, I don't know that I'd want to get back together with my former bandmates for a night, let alone a reunion tour, either. I mean, I'm sure most of us here have had former a-hole bosses or co-workers at previous jobs who we'd rather not see, let alone work with again, if we didn't have to.

I hope they will eventually be able to resolve their differences before they get too old to do a good reunion tour, but that's really up to them, not the fans. Slash has definitely pulled his punches in the press over the years, as I believe he really wants to reconcile. Axl, of course, not so much - but, reading between the lines in Slash's autobiography, I can understand his reticence. It sounds like Axl was the only one who kept his *spoon* together while the band was on top, while each of the other band members was putting both themselves and the band at risk through their drug abuse. I don't know if that excuses all of his *spoon*ish behavior since then, but I do understand that the blame for the band's break-up and lingering disagreements runs both ways.
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#5597426 - 04/13/12 09:36 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Bane]
Jeffro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jerkfro
 Originally Posted By: Bane
 Originally Posted By: Jeffro
 Originally Posted By: chrisco37

Appetite for Destruction is a classic R&R album. Easily one of the best from that time. I wasn't a huge fan when they first got on the scene, but they grew on me fairly quick.

It went the other way for me. I started out liking them but then the grunge/alternative scene got me in its claws and that was the end of that. lol

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam?

I've never seen any of them live. \:\(

I've never seen any of them either. I'm not a huge concert goer. (goer???) The last concert I went to was Motorhead/Dio/Iron Maiden back in 2003. That bill was too kick *spoon* to pass up.

I think it was Pearl Jam's Ten that started me off on grunge road. Maybe it was Nirvana's Nevermind. Can't remember the sequence. Didn't get into Soundgarden until a bit later. There were a ton of other bands that were little more than one hit wonders. I can't even remember most of them anymore. I have a real fondness for the grunge/alternative music of the 90s

Some collectors would crash through a group of preschoolers then step on their own mother's throat just to buy a book off of Hitler with the hope of selling it to Satan for a few extra bucks. - topofthetotem

#5597445 - 04/13/12 09:50 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Jeffro]
Bane Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Reading, England
 Originally Posted By: Bane
 Originally Posted By: chrisco37

Appetite for Destruction is a classic R&R album. Easily one of the best from that time. I wasn't a huge fan when they first got on the scene, but they grew on me fairly quick.

It went the other way for me. I started out liking them but then the grunge/alternative scene got me in its claws and that was the end of that. lol

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam?

I've never seen any of them live. \:\(

I've never seen any of them either. I'm not a huge concert goer. (goer???) The last concert I went to was Motorhead/Dio/Iron Maiden back in 2003. That bill was too kick *spoon* to pass up.

I think it was Pearl Jam's Ten that started me off on grunge road. Maybe it was Nirvana's Nevermind. Can't remember the sequence. Didn't get into Soundgarden until a bit later. There were a ton of other bands that were little more than one hit wonders. I can't even remember most of them anymore. I have a real fondness for the grunge/alternative music of the 90s

I was 10 years old in 1990 and was probably too advanced in my taste of music. This is down to my brother who is 16 years older then me. I was brought up listening to Killing Joke, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Billy Idol, Depeche Mode etc.

Cause my brother played guitar as well I also had an early appreciation for Blues music, listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Albert King, Muddy Waters etc.

Then I was listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc... course everyone jumped on the Oasis bandwagon when they came along, but I have never liked them. So I too have an appreciation for grunge \:\)

Although I've never seen Soundgarden I have seen Chris Cornell live when he toured his solo album Euphoria Morning, I've also seen Audioslave and then again when Cornell toured solo. Very talented singer.

No Jamie, you were one of a kind and you will be missed my friend. RIP.

#5597552 - 04/13/12 10:55 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Jeffro]
Buffyfan Offline

"I don't feel like a freaknut..."

"Sometimes you don't."

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Watching the Lunatics Run the ...
By the way, totally off topic but I recently listened to excerpts on iTunes of the first Soundgarden CD, Ultramega OK. It kicks lots of *spoon*. It's a bit raw in places but it's a far cry from the Soundgarden of the Superunknown years. I have to get a copy.

A new Soundgarden convert!

WANTED: (preferably pedigreed)
Extreme High Grade Vampirella's

http://www.donwalthropphotography.com

Widespread acceptance of an idea is not proof of its validity. -Robert Langdon´

"Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you are being had. Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Michael Crichton 1/17/03 speech California Institute of Technology"

#5597571 - 04/13/12 11:02 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: delekkerste]
Mark 1 Online   offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
 Originally Posted By: delekkerste
Rose may go on and on about how great his current band is, but creatively he is more or less finished, and is basically coasting on the classic material he co-wrote with the original line-up(s) 20 or so years ago.

I think Chinese Democracy was actually a pretty good album - certainly better than 95% of the "rock" albums that come out nowadays. True, it didn't live up to expectations, but, really, how could it after the years and years of anticipation? Still, there are some really solid tracks on the album...songs like "This I Love", "Better" and "Prostitute" I think are better than a lot of the material on the UYIllusion albums.

As for Axl's comments, as a huge fan of the band (I've seen them live 6x, including the band's longest and most epic concert performance ever at the L.A. Forum in 1991, as chronicled in Slash's excellent autobiography), of course I'm disappointed about Axl's continuing unwillingness to reconcile. That said, if there are lingering unresolved issues, if I was Axl, I don't know that I'd want to get back together with my former bandmates for a night, let alone a reunion tour, either. I mean, I'm sure most of us here have had former a-hole bosses or co-workers at previous jobs who we'd rather not see, let alone work with again, if we didn't have to.

I hope they will eventually be able to resolve their differences before they get too old to do a good reunion tour, but that's really up to them, not the fans. Slash has definitely pulled his punches in the press over the years, as I believe he really wants to reconcile. Axl, of course, not so much - but, reading between the lines in Slash's autobiography, I can understand his reticence. It sounds like Axl was the only one who kept his *spoon* together while the band was on top, while each of the other band members was putting both themselves and the band at risk through their drug abuse. I don't know if that excuses all of his *spoon*ish behavior since then, but I do understand that the blame for the band's break-up and lingering disagreements runs both ways.

I am a very big GnR fan from the early days and feel Appetite is a classic album that gives them the right to be in the RnR HOF. Their other albums were decent: Lies was cool and Use your Illusion 1 and 2 could have been one really strong album. November rain was all Axl ego. I hate that song. Never listen to it. Live and let die also....lame GnR and their direction was wavering.

With that said, I think Axl is the biggest fool in rock history. He can put his ego and BS aside and make millions reuniting with those guys. But, he probably never will.

First, Chinese Democracy in my opinion is an okay record. It's not a real GnR record. Some good moments. But the time it took to actually make it was ridiculous. It wasn't that he was on hiatus and it took years to make...he was known to actually be in the studio making the album for almost 8 years or more. He had a revolving cast of musicians working on it and when he wasn't happy he would just replace them (mostly guitarists).

With regards to who was the problem before they broke up...it was Axl. He wouldn't go on to the stage until hours past the start time. He would be locked in his room and the others would have to wait until he was ready. It cost the band millions because they would have to forfiet money if they played past a certain time (keeping facility staff, electricity, etc longer).

He caused riots and was just a total fool.

I can't stand him and i'm glad he won't be there. I hope the whole GnR line up goes up there with Myles Kennedy (amazing singer) and they blow Axl away.

Edited by Mark 1 (04/13/12 11:23 AM)

#5597587 - 04/13/12 11:09 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Mark 1]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
 Originally Posted By: Mark 1
With regards to who was the problem before they broke up...it was Axl. He wouldn't go on to the stage until hours past the start time. He would be locked in his room and the others would have to wait until he was ready. It cost the band millions because they would have to forfiet money if they played past a certain time (keeping facility staff, electricity, etc longer).

I'm not saying that Axl was blameless, far from it. Slash blames Axl's disrespectful chronic lateness and his co-opting of the rights to the band's name and greater share of the royalties for why he quit the band. That said, Slash was no saint either - he was an out of control junkie which caused him to be unreliable and put the band at risk through sub-par performances, nearly missed shows, time spent in rehab, etc. It also seems that were issues of creative control between two big egos, which caused a lot of friction and discord, which is really a shame.

I can see both sides of the argument - there is plenty of blame to go around for everyone involved. I just wish that they could put their differences aside before it's too late.
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#5597614 - 04/13/12 11:22 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: delekkerste]
Mark 1 Online   offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I'm not saying that Axl was blameless, far from it. Slash blames Axl's disrespectful chronic lateness and his co-opting of the rights to the band's name and greater share of the royalties for why he quit the band. That said, Slash was no saint either - he was an out of control junkie which caused him to be unreliable and put the band at risk through sub-par performances, nearly missed shows, time spent in rehab, etc. It also seems that were issues of creative control between two big egos, which caused a lot of friction and discord, which is really a shame.

I can see both sides of the argument - there is plenty of blame to go around for everyone involved. I just wish that they could put their differences aside before it's too late.

I agree with that...and yes...just put the differences aside and grow up.

#5599049 - 04/13/12 09:18 PM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Mark 1]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.

I am a very big GnR fan from the early days and feel Appetite is a classic album that gives them the right to be in the RnR HOF. Their other albums were decent: Lies was cool and Use your Illusion 1 and 2 could have been one really strong album. November rain was all Axl ego. I hate that song. Never listen to it. Live and let die also....lame GnR and their direction was wavering.

With that said, I think Axl is the biggest fool in rock history. He can put his ego and BS aside and make millions reuniting with those guys. But, he probably never will.

First, Chinese Democracy in my opinion is an okay record. It's not a real GnR record. Some good moments. But the time it took to actually make it was ridiculous. It wasn't that he was on hiatus and it took years to make...he was known to actually be in the studio making the album for almost 8 years or more. He had a revolving cast of musicians working on it and when he wasn't happy he would just replace them (mostly guitarists).

He caused riots and was just a total fool.

I can't stand him and i'm glad he won't be there. I hope the whole GnR line up goes up there with Myles Kennedy (amazing singer) and they blow Axl away.

Axl is a fool because he doesn't want to reunite to make millions? Really? Aren't there more important things than money?

Axl is actually pretty smart (ego or not) because he made his millions and he did it his way without compromising even an inch. Sure, he lost his band mates because of it, and he lost a lot of respect but he did everything by his own rules. There's something to be said for people who stick to their guns and make it successfully without compromising.

Also, much of Guns and Roses' success can be attributed to Axl. He was always pursuing those "grandoise" epic songs.

While most of the band wanted straight, simple rock and roll, Axl wanted epic productions...and as far as creativity was concerned, this is where the band always clashed. Axl wanted more lights, more people, more instruments, longer songs with involved and complex layers.

That is why Chinese Democracy didn't sound like anything G n' R previously did...it was all Axl (and new members) doing exactly what Axl wanted without any disagreement.

And as far as Myles Kennedy goes, I am a huge Myles Kennedy fan (I wish I could sing like him) but there will never be another voice like Axl. He has one of the most unique singing voices in all of rock and roll.

As far as I'm concerned, without Axl G n' R would never have gotten to where they were.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5599759 - 04/14/12 08:53 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Forbush-Man]
Speedmaster1971 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Originally Posted By: FUELMAN
Is it wrong of me to say I don't really think they belong in the R&R Hall of Fame anyway?

They definitely belong there.

Over 100 millions albums sold and the only band in history to have 2 albums at #1 and #2 at the same time.
There was no bigger band in the early 90's

#5599764 - 04/14/12 08:56 AM Re: Axl Rose is a @#$%^ [Re: Forbush-Man]
Speedmaster1971 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Originally Posted By: FUELMAN
Slash is probably a good guitarist.......idunno. But you can have the whole band. I can only think of two songs they did (Welcome to the Jungle & Sweet child of mine.)

They lasted for around for 8 years? 5-6 of these before they hit it big.....and then broke up. They didn't change the face of music, or become a great influence like the Beatles, Sex Pistols, Clash, Nirvana, ect.........I don't get it. \(shrug\)

Slash is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Ask anyone that's ever played guitar or knows anything about it and they will tell you the same and In my opinion Nirvana were wayyy overrated. If Curt Cobain hadn't died no one would be talking about them anymore.

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
coins for sale the first of many to come
by wmfielding
World Coins for Sale / Updated: 30 July 2014
by brg5658
01:16 PM
coins for sale at great collections
by wmfielding
12:35 PM
WTB 2011 NGC PF70 Libertads
by bender9876
07:17 PM
Comics Marketplace
Strange Tales 110, Spider-Man 1 & JLA 1 in Sunday's Auction
by HeritageComics
SCIENCE COMICS #5 FOX 1940 CGC 4.5 OW JOE SIMON
by Supernerd
Begone Darn Books! Or: Man, These Are Stupid Low Prices
by Ghost Town
05:36 PM
Fear #19 VF+
by igordesign23
05:27 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.033 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.