• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,006 posts in this topic

I've done a little bit of research but could use some expertise help on an item...

In 1928, Hugo Gernsback gave away a 24 page promotional story booklet "The Vanguard of Venus" by Landell Bartlett (mis-spelled "Barlett" on the cover and title page) for Amazing Stories.

After the author died in 1972, the copyright expired in 1974 and a company called Filter Press issued an apparent exact duplicate of the 1928 booklet, including the mis-spelling (?) and publisher info. After that publisher (Gilbert Campbell) died, copies of the reproductions were distributed from his estate in Colorado (where the original author - who was a friend of Robert Heinlein - was from).

My question is, is the any way to tell the original from the reprint and how scarce/collectible would an original booklet be?

Also, I heard a rumor that Gernsback gave away this story for free because it wasn't any good, which seems odd to me (wouldn't the publisher want to put a good foot forward instead of peddling free dreck and turning customers off? But then we are talking Gernsback here, haha).

Any help appreciated...

VoVAMAZINGSTORIES.jpg

Edited by sacentaur

I've done a little bit of research but could use some expertise help on an item...

In 1928, Hugo Gernsback gave away a 24 page promotional story booklet "The Vanguard of Venus" by Landell Bartlett (mis-spelled "Barlett" on the cover and title page) for Amazing Stories.

After the author died in 1972, the copyright expired in 1974 and a company called Filter Press issued an apparent exact duplicate of the 1928 booklet, including the mis-spelling and publisher info. After that publisher (Gilbert Campbell) died, copies of the reproductions were distributed from his estate in Colorado (where the original author - who was a friend of Robert Heinlein - was from).

My question is, is the any way to tell the original from the reprint and how scarce/collectible would an original booklet be?

Also, I heard a rumor that Gernsback gave away this story for free because it wasn't any good, which seems odd to me (wouldn't the publisher want to put a good foot forward instead of peddling free dreck and turning customers off? But then we are talking Gernsback here, haha).

Any help appreciated...

VoVAMAZINGSTORIES.jpg

Interesting, Steve. I never knew about the reprint. I have a copy of this booklet that I assume is an original since it came with an Amazing Stories #1 that I bought, but who knows, I guess it could be the reprint. I'll take a look at it and scan it tonight or tomorrow to compare to yours.

Picked up a nice little collection of Weird Tales this past weekend, ranging from 1926 to 1951. No 1st Conan or Batwoman covers, but still some nice ones, with over 2/3 of the 118 issues being pre-1940.

pulps6.jpg

pulps5.jpg

pulps4.jpg

pulps3.jpg

pulps2.jpg

pulps1.jpg

pulps7.jpg

Edited by Weird Paper

Here's some photos of my "The Vanguard of Venus". I'm thinking it's probably the reprint edition. The name Bartlett is spelled correctly. The paper appears to be a little bit glossier than Steve's copy. And the type size of the "Copyrighted 1928" appears to be larger on my copy.

IMG_9175.jpg

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9177.jpgb

Here's some photos of my "The Vanguard of Venus". I'm thinking it's probably the reprint edition. The name Bartlett is spelled correctly. The paper appears to be a little bit glossier than Steve's copy. And the type size of the "Copyrighted 1928" appears to be larger on my copy.

Todd, that makes total sense that they'd fix the typo on the author's name on the reprint. Also, mine is 26 pages (with covers). There's an incomplete beater on ebay right now (missing half the back page, with no covers), but what looks like the same aged pulpy paper as mine.

It's only an educated guess, but knowing how cheap Hugo was, it wouldn't surprise me that he used the cheapest, non-gloss paper, for the promo way back then.

Maybe some more info will surface later, but for right now we can't say for sure.

Thnx again for the pics and follow-up info.... (thumbs u

As to value and collectibility, I found this listing on the Advanced Book Exchange:

1. THE VANGUARD OF VENUS

Bartlett, Landell

Bookseller: Popeks Used and Rare Books

(Otego, NY, U.S.A.)

Bookseller Rating:

Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 138.00

Book Description: Experimenter Publishing Co., New York, 1928. Soft Cover. Book Condition: Near Fine. Dust Jacket Condition: No Jacket. First Edition. This vintage promotional booklet is bound in original printed self wrappers with black lettering and the logo of Amazing Stories. Cover, pages mildly browned, but clean; slight wear at top edge of front cover. This scarce title was a circulation promotion for Amazing Stories, printed by Hugo Gernsback. 24 pages; approx. 6"x8". Bookseller Inventory # P14069

Link:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sortby=1&tn=Vanguard+of+Venus&x=0&y=0

Hope that helps Steve :)

Edited by eccomic

Interesting - no pictures popped up for me, but one of the other listings notes the author's name spelled wrong on the title page (which makes me feel better about this being an original edition). Thnx!

After reading through this incredible thread, it's time to post my very first pulp, which I won on Ebay recently.

I'm a big Jack Vance fan, so I'm looking forward to reading the obscure Vance story in this issue.

Thrilling Wonder Stories Feb. 1951

KGrHqNoEE9gk9PwpoBPdNWrHKwQ60_58.jpg