• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official The Walking Dead Discussion Thread
13 13

40,446 posts in this topic

man, every comic shop within 30 miles of me is sold out of all walking dead books, except 90 & 95. of course, i've cleaned out 5 different stores and always got the books for under $3. i am mad at myself though. one shop had about 13 or so copies of issues from the 40's to 70's, including 48 (i have 3, and didn't realize it was a $40-50 book). he was selling them for 25% off cover price. i should have bought every single book. when i went back, they were all gone (did get the nicest copy of saga #1 that i've seen in any s. california store).

Don't feel bad bro. I think everyone has regrets with the WD stuff. I used to always see issues 80-85 in the 50 cent bin at my local show and used to pass on them. Now, I went to that same dealer and I was happy to buy them for cover price.

I must have passed on 5 copies of 48 for about cover price in the past 2 weeks. Now everyone has jacked up their prices on them.

At this point, no comic stores in my area have any WD books left. I'm partly to blame for that.

oh i don't feel too bad. i've made enough off walking dead books that the entire run that i still have has now cost me nothing (and i still have books i can part with eventually). i bought 10 copies of wd #19 for cover price. sold 3 for $200+ each. bought my first copy of wd #50 variant for $3.99. went to san diego during comic con and a shop had it priced for that much. bought my first serbian #2 b/w for $12.

man o man though....

speaking on this current walking dead explosion, it's amazing that not one shop in my area seems to pay attention to what happens online. my local shop makes the mistake of having new books on the rack, and older books in the back issue section. but they also put books in storage. most people have no idea there is another storage for books, but i do....so i've gotten stuff for cover price LONG after it took off. they had 3 copies of #92, plus 79, 82-87 two days ago in storage, so i bought them all ($2.90 each).

another shop mainly focuses on silver age, and they tend to put one title on the rack behind another title. they had walking dead books hidden behind chew books. #73, 79, 83-92 (and $2.43 a book). picked up a walking dead 19 & 27 weekly for $2.43 as well.

another shop had walking dead #18 and #19 on his wall. #18 was $150, #19 was $40. I bought that #19 (a VF/NM-) for $40 and sold it that night for $200.

speaking on this current walking dead explosion, it's amazing that not one shop in my area seems to pay attention to what happens online. my local shop makes the mistake of having new books on the rack, and older books in the back issue section. but they also put books in storage. most people have no idea there is another storage for books, but i do....so i've gotten stuff for cover price LONG after it took off. they had 3 copies of #92, plus 79, 82-87 two days ago in storage, so i bought them all ($2.90 each).

another shop mainly focuses on silver age, and they tend to put one title on the rack behind another title. they had walking dead books hidden behind chew books. #73, 79, 83-92 (and $2.43 a book). picked up a walking dead 19 & 27 weekly for $2.43 as well.

another shop had walking dead #18 and #19 on his wall. #18 was $150, #19 was $40. I bought that #19 (a VF/NM-) for $40 and sold it that night for $200.

Stores need time to figure these things out, but some people don't give them enough time. By the time they figure out the books were worth something, its already too late. Almost all of the stores in my area have raised the prices on WD books, but I got the good stuff before they did.

So far in the past week, I bought (for cover price or less):

38, 40, 41, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 62, 65, 67, 69-95 (3-5x of each). I still left some behind for other people, but those books had the prices jacked up by the owners, so I doubt they will move as quick.

I also got a 33 for $12. I missed out on a 48 for cover price.

Edited by lemonman5

Stores need time to figure these things out, but some people don't give them enough time.

if me and you can get these books for cover, then flip them, stores could too.

I think the problem for LCS owners is that they are too busy running the day to day of the business to spend time trolling these boards or ebay completed sales to see what is moving. When this is a business rather than a hobby, priorities change. Their loss is our gain.

I think the problem for LCS owners is that they are too busy running the day to day of the business to spend time trolling these boards or ebay completed sales to see what is moving. When this is a business rather than a hobby, priorities change. Their loss is our gain.

I understand being busy with a store, but if you're running a business, you need to take advantage of every opportunity. At the very least, store owners should take a look once a week. Even that would be better and more financially rewarding than never paying attention. Its just real bad business and imho is ONE reason stores struggle or go out of business.

Not to mention that if every LCS was actually completely up-to-date on the pricing of every modern book, this thread would be filled with people whining about the "insane" prices they saw at their LCS and how bad this is for new readers :ohnoez:

Does anyone know anything about TWD #87 SDCC Photo Variant and if it's hard to find? I can pick up a copy for 10 bucks but I'm not a walking dead collector so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Really cool cover though and probably worth it for that alone...