Page 8 of 14 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#5578419 - 04/05/12 06:43 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: pinupcartoonguy]
batman_fan Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: CO
This could be an incredible expensive auction for me. There are several pages I really want.

my Comic Art

batman_fan's feedback thread

My most wanted for Original Artwork Covers. If you have them and wish to let them go, please contact me!

#5578426 - 04/05/12 06:50 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: pinupcartoonguy]
MisterX Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: The upside down ziggurat
 Originally Posted By: pinupcartoonguy
 Originally Posted By: MisterX
Any guesses as to what the Neal Adams Batman Hostess Twinkie ad might go for?

Just curious, does the fact that this page features twinkies ruin it for most people, or it there some nostalgia appeal for Hostess ads?

I don't know.

Speaking personally, I love it for the twinkies. (And the mummy.)

#5578515 - 04/05/12 07:24 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: MisterX]
ecfanman Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Anyone know what specific comic(s) this was printed in?

#5579072 - 04/05/12 11:43 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: MisterX]
stinkininkin Offline
Talkative?

Honestly, I see very little Neal Adams here. Looks like a lot of D i c k Giordano to me.

Scott Williams

Edited by stinkininkin (04/05/12 11:43 PM)

#5579518 - 04/06/12 07:57 AM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: stinkininkin]
delekkerste Offline

James Bond wears a Rolex...the rest is just product placement.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: New York, NY
 Originally Posted By: stinkininkin

Honestly, I see very little Neal Adams here. Looks like a lot of D i c k Giordano to me.

Scott Williams

It's been attributed in the past to D. Giordano (see Comic Book Artist Collection Volume 3, p. 91, published 2005), though, frankly, having just read a good chunk of Giordano's Bronze Age Wonder Woman issues, it really does not look like pure Giordano to me - I do see a lot of Adams in the page. There are certain elements that look totally Giordano (like the woman's face in the last panel), but the angles/expressions of Bats & Robin (in the 1st & 6th panels especially) look classically Adams to me, as well as the distance shots of the archaeologist and his daughter. I'd be surprised if Adams didn't at least have some editorial/creative input into the page, if not doing the actual layouts or pencils himself.

I do wonder what happened with the attribution change, though - did the owner or Heritage ask Neal himself? Steve Borock, are you reading this and do you know the answer? I just submitted an inquiry to Heritage online regarding the matter.
"Stability begets instability...the more stable things appear, the more dangerous the ultimate outcome will be, because people start to assume everything will be all right and end up doing stupid things." - Dr. Hyman Minsky

"Buy because you love it, because the next generation in all likelihood ain't gonna love it as much as you did." - Gene P.

"No asset is so good that it can't become a bad investment if bought at too high a price." - Howard Marks

Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

It's not what you buy, it's when you buy.

It's better to be thought a fool than to open your wallet and remove all doubt.

My ComicArtFans.com Online Comic Art Gallery

#5579861 - 04/06/12 12:06 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: delekkerste]
stinkininkin Offline
Talkative?

Originally Posted By: delekkerste

Scott Williams

It's been attributed in the past to D. Giordano (see Comic Book Artist Collection Volume 3, p. 91, published 2005), though, frankly, having just read a good chunk of Giordano's Bronze Age Wonder Woman issues, it really does not look like pure Giordano to me - I do see a lot of Adams in the page. There are certain elements that look totally Giordano (like the woman's face in the last panel), but the angles/expressions of Bats & Robin (in the 1st & 6th panels especially) look classically Adams to me, as well as the distance shots of the archaeologist and his daughter. I'd be surprised if Adams didn't at least have some editorial/creative input into the page, if not doing the actual layouts or pencils himself.

I do wonder what happened with the attribution change, though - did the owner or Heritage ask Neal himself? Steve Borock, are you reading this and do you know the answer? I just submitted an inquiry to Heritage online regarding the matter.

I did not know that this had been attributed to Giordano in the past. So how then did this get re-attributed to Adams? Anyone following comics from this period and watching Giordano take on more and more penciling gigs knows that while Giordano could certainly draw, he would very often "borrow" past Adams work and make it his own. I don't know if this was to speed the process of getting the work done or to capitalize on the Adams aesthetic that was state of the art at the time or something else. Either way, the Adams characteristics in this ad seem to follow the methodology of Giordano to make the whole look as Adamsy as possible, and inked in the singular Giordano style. While I certainly can't rule out Adams had *some* hand in this piece, I would personally bid on it with the assumption that it was pure Giordano. But that's just my humble opinion.

Scott Williams

#5579962 - 04/06/12 12:51 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: delekkerste]
sborock Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Franklin's Tower
 Originally Posted By: delekkerste

Scott Williams

Gene,
I will look into this and get some info for us. \(thumbs u

Ain't nobody messin' with you but you
Your friends are getting most concerned
Loose with the truth baby, it's your fire
Baby, I hope you don't get burned
-R. Hunter

#5580241 - 04/06/12 02:38 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: sborock]
sborock Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Franklin's Tower
The Twinkies piece is being changed from Adams to Giordano.
Thanks to all for helping us catch this before the auction went live! \(thumbs u

Ain't nobody messin' with you but you
Your friends are getting most concerned
Loose with the truth baby, it's your fire
Baby, I hope you don't get burned
-R. Hunter

#5580858 - 04/06/12 05:45 PM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: sborock]
MisterX Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: The upside down ziggurat
So does being a Giordano piece lower the auction estimate now?

#5582420 - 04/07/12 01:16 AM Re: Looks like another weak OA auction at Heritage in May! [Re: MisterX]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
So does being a Giordano piece lower the auction estimate now?

Page 8 of 14 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  cgcmod3, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod2, cgcmod, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH: Blue Beauty 1819 50C Capped Bust Half, PCGS AU55 CAC, Overton-109
by BROADSTRUCK
Today at 08:30 AM
Anyone selling junk silver?
by mtnstyne
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
WTB: Minstate Brown Indians
by dimefreak
Yesterday at 08:58 PM
1807-10C-JR-1-Draped
-Bust-Dime-PCGS/CAC G4

by Nutmeg Coin
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
Comics Marketplace
Avengers 93, Cap 113, TEC 404 CGC 8.5
by blue808
24 minutes 34 seconds ago
Tijuana Bibles - COLLECTION OF EXTREMELY RARE SET OF 9 FROM THE 1930's
by comickat
31 minutes 45 seconds ago
WALKING DEAD #53 1st App Abraham, Rosita & Eugene ORIGINAL ART ComicLink Auction
by AKA Rick
Today at 08:02 PM
Sold and closed Fantasy/Female Art Books Sorayama, Frazetta, Vallejo, Vargas
by jawn
Today at 07:47 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum