Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#5577478 - 04/05/12 11:59 AM Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing!
Hepcat Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Yoav Gonen - New York Post; 26 March 2012
In a bizarre case of political correctness run wild, educrats have banned references to “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests.That’s because they fear such topics “could evoke unpleasant emotions in the students.”

Dinosaurs, for example, call to mind evolution, which might upset fundamentalists; birthdays aren’t celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses; and Halloween suggests paganism. Even “dancing’’ is taboo, because some sects object. But the city did make an exception for ballet.

The forbidden topics were recently spelled out in a request for proposals provided to companies competing to revamp city English, math, science and social-studies tests given several times a year to measure student progress.

“Some of these topics may be perfectly acceptable in other contexts but do not belong in a city- or state-wide assessment,” the request reads.

Words that suggest wealth are excluded because they could make kids jealous. Poverty is likewise on the forbidden list.

Also banned are references to divorces and diseases, because kids taking the tests may have relatives who split from spouses or are ill.

Officials say such exclusions are normal procedure.

“This is standard language that has been used by test publishers for many years and allows our students to complete practice exams without distraction,” said a Department of Education spokeswoman, insisting it’s not censorship.

\:o

Read more:

http://nation.foxnews.com/pc-police/2012...n#ixzz1qKMQnqfd

Edited by Hepcat (04/05/12 12:00 PM)

#5577496 - 04/05/12 12:05 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: Hepcat]
He11blazer Offline

Bongwater saved my life.

One night about 20 years ago, I fell asleep on my bedroom floor next to a lit candle...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Brighton, UK
I was about to scoff, but by the end I thought "Yeah, fair enough I suppose."

#5577500 - 04/05/12 12:06 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: Hepcat]
Mr 9.8 Online   offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The CURSED Earth!
This is old news.
They reversed their decisions, I believe.
People love seeing violence and horrible things. The human being is bad and he can't stand more than five minutes of happiness. Put him in a dark theater and ask him to look at two hours of happiness and he'd walk out or fall asleep.

- Paul Verhoeven

#5577511 - 04/05/12 12:12 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: He11blazer]
kaylab Offline
(S)uper Collector

Loc: missing SF

How is the mention of Dinosaurs a sore point for creationists? Even the creationists acknowledge dinosaurs (http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/1999/11/05/dinosaurs-and-the-bible), they just dispute their age/origin/history. The mere fact that they existed doesn't seem to be a sticking point, why make it an issue in the schools?

Seriously, wtf is wrong with education these days??

#5577515 - 04/05/12 12:12 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: Hepcat]
PovertyRow Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco
 Originally Posted By: Yoav Gonen - New York Post; 26 March 2012
Poverty is likewise on the forbidden list.

Why, those bastards!

#5577521 - 04/05/12 12:15 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: Mr 9.8]
kaylab Offline
(S)uper Collector

Loc: missing SF
 Originally Posted By: Mr 9.8
This is old news.
They reversed their decisions, I believe.

this would be the best outcome, thanks for the update

#5577632 - 04/05/12 12:59 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: kaylab]
Dano Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Interesting that political correctness can land on both sides of fences. I'm glad they reversed this silliness, too.

Dan

#5577681 - 04/05/12 01:23 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: Hepcat]
truthteller Offline
Instigator
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The one true undisputed Truth
Foxnews. 'nuff said. doh\!

TRUTH

Max, 5/7/2010 I will see you again

#5577760 - 04/05/12 01:52 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: truthteller]
Hepcat Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: Toronto
I know American TV news is all too often silly, but this report was in the newspapers.

\(tsk\)

#5577793 - 04/05/12 02:05 PM Re: Helicopter school board bans mere mention of Halloween, dinosaurs and dancing! [Re: Hepcat]
mica Offline

mild mannered mica

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Fashion Runway
I'm against Groundhog day. There should be an equal period designated for the "night".
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FS: Several Morgans and 1835 Half Dime - Free Shipping
by A.Phillips
06:51 PM
FS: Canada 1936 $ NGC MS64 @ Christmas Gift price. SOLD
by agentjim007
05:39 PM
Any Macau / Japan paper money for sale?
by Beebeepan
03:27 AM
Looking to buy and sell confederate notes
by aps
10:12 PM
Comics Marketplace
Power Man & Iron Fist Run 68-124 F/VF $50 a
by ottobord
I've got bronze runs. (yup)
by Real Elijah Snow
Bronze singles - good books
by ft88
10:05 PM
Selling a few of Semi-Key CGCs in order to upgrade
by Mike22
09:33 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.