• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
50 50

1,629 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have read this topic several times, looked up availablity of all the scanners mentioned and also looking for the most affordable scanner that seemed to get some of the best results. I ended up buying a Scanjet proffesional 8300 for $92 including shipping off of eBay. Here is a test scan using stock setting at 300 DPI, no enhancements. I am using it on Windows 7 but is also suppose to be compatible with Vista and XP.

scan0001.jpg

After reading this thread multiple times (and really considering the Microtek i800), I realized that I'm extremely cheap and ultimately just want something to give me better than average scans of my slabs. This Scanjet 8300 image looks incredibly nice with little glare, so I'm going for it. I also found it online for $92 shipped, so I'll hopefully (finally) have the ability to scan my slabs within a week! I'll plan to share a couple of scans once I get it.

I looked up the HP 8300s and they cost around $400 new so you got a great deal on Ebay. But the ones on Ebay look like they are only letter size.

Hi folks,

I've just purchased a Microtek i900 Scanner and was wondering if there was anybody who could help me out with it. It seems like even if I scan at 96 dpi and make it approx. 7 X 10 in., the total memory it takes up is 1.86 M which seems to be about double the amount of space the old scans were on the old scanner. Ideas?

aamow36a.jpg

aamow38.jpg

Another problem I had was that when I scan it using some software called "Silverscan," it wouldn't let me upload the jpgs directly to Photobucket. . .possibly because the scans were too large to upload. When I tried to open these with Adobe Photoshop, it wouldn't let me. So I tried scanning/saving to tif format and it DID allow Photoshop to open those. Then I had to convert them in Photoshop to jpgs and 8bits channel and RGB color. Seemed like a circuitous route to get them ready to upload. If anybody knows how to improve the quality and the process, please let me know.

Mick

Hi folks,

I've just purchased a Microtek i900 Scanner and was wondering if there was anybody who could help me out with it. It seems like even if I scan at 96 dpi and make it approx. 7 X 10 in., the total memory it takes up is 1.86 M which seems to be about double the amount of space the old scans were on the old scanner. Ideas?

If it's creating a jpg file, the size difference is likely due to the compression ratio. Higher compression settings will yield a smaller file size even if the height and width of the image are the same

Another problem I had was that when I scan it using some software called "Silverscan," it wouldn't let me upload the jpgs directly to Photobucket. . .possibly because the scans were too large to upload. When I tried to open these with Adobe Photoshop, it wouldn't let me. So I tried scanning/saving to tif format and it DID allow Photoshop to open those. Then I had to convert them in Photoshop to jpgs and 8bits channel and RGB color. Seemed like a circuitous route to get them ready to upload. If anybody knows how to improve the quality and the process, please let me know.

Mick

It sounds like the new software is saving files in a proprietary format rather than a standard jpg, bmp, or tif. If the software doesn't let you change the default file type, you may want to try a generic scanning software that let's you select the file format. Of course you don't want to buy a scanner and then have to buy another software as well but that may be an option.

Cool to hear, looking forward to seeing your scans. I'm also still looking for a scanner.

Here's what I got right out of the box with the HP ScanJet 8300. There's certainly a little reflection in the label and at the bottom a bit, but I think it takes an overall great scan. I haven't played with any settings at all, and the DPI is only 200. I'll be playing with the settings next.

captain%20america%20comics%2073%20CGC%207.5_lte.jpg

Here's another:

Star%20Spangled%20Comics%2087%20CGC%209.0_lte.jpg

Edited by CrocHntr

Scanner is half the problem---I use VueScan which is awesome and works with most scanners....you can adjust quality, space to scan on bed, etc. Lifelong license--bought it years ago and still get any/all software updates. Tell them Sterling sent 'ya.

I use HP ScanJet 8200. I hear Microteks are better, but I've already spent my money. I have scans on my VCC booth (see sig) if you want to see examples.

Scanner is half the problem---I use VueScan which is awesome and works with most scanners....you can adjust quality, space to scan on bed, etc. Lifelong license--bought it years ago and still get any/all software updates. Tell them Sterling sent 'ya.

I use HP ScanJet 8200. I hear Microteks are better, but I've already spent my money. I have scans on my VCC booth (see sig) if you want to see examples.

I have a scanner question. I need a flat bed that scans as quickly as possible and will scan directly to a flash drive or memory card. Any suggestions? It does not need to be legal size as I already have one for slabs, my primary concern is the speed.

Any scanner should let you save the file directly to whatever drive you have connected to the computer... unless you're suggesting that you want to plug a flash drive directly into the scanner and bypass using a computer altogether. If this is not impossible (which I think it IS) then it's certainly not practical.

So my scanner was kicking my butt today. While I was updating and going through new settings it had a 3D object/irregular object pre-set option. It didn't work because my scanner HP 8600 Pro cant do scans. But when I hovered over the setting I noticed that the 3d Object option is only supported by HP TopShot printers. Looks like they are doing 3D scanning.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/topshot/index.html#.T3El3exSRzJ

Anyone seen these or used them? Thoughts?

Any scanner should let you save the file directly to whatever drive you have connected to the computer... unless you're suggesting that you want to plug a flash drive directly into the scanner and bypass using a computer altogether. If this is not impossible (which I think it IS) then it's certainly not practical.
Yeah, I would like to bypass the computer all together. I would like to pay someone I trust to do the scans, however, the person I have in mind does not have a computer (long story). I have an all in one that will scan directly to a flash or usb drive and bypass the computer but it's huge and I don't want to lug it around. I'd prefer a flatbed. The scanning speed is also important since I'll be paying someone. I'm willing to pay more for a faster scanner but it is really hard to tell from the manufacturers information how fast they really are. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone try the Xerox DocuMate 515 Flatbed Fast Simplex ADF ColorScanner? I'm looking for a new scanner that can scan slabs with a budget of <$200. I found this one on Amazon:

Link

It looks a little big and seems to have more bells and whistles than I need, but it's 58% off! The reviews on this one are somewhat mixed but it'd be helpful if anyone had experience using this or any other similar Xerox scanner.

I've said this before, but I found a very reliable legal size scanner at a local Goodwill / Thrift shop just over a year ago.

Actually I found 2... both identical although one was used and the other, new in the box. For the both of them, I think I paid under $15.00.

Microtek ScanMaker E3 Plus (Parallel Port Interface)

And a sample...

WWC7.jpg

I've said this before, but I found a very reliable legal size scanner at a local Goodwill / Thrift shop just over a year ago.

Actually I found 2... both identical although one was used and the other, new in the box. For the both of them, I think I paid under $15.00.

Microtek ScanMaker E3 Plus (Parallel Port Interface)

And a sample...

I used to have a Microtek ScanMaker X12USL which I absolutely loved. The problem was that I upgraded to windows Vista and the scanner was no longer compatible. I emailed the company a few times with no response for two weeks. When they finally e-mailed me back, all they told me was that they would not be creating new drivers to support the scanner.

I asked if there were any alternatives and they told me to go back to using Windows XP. :tonofbricks:

I vowed never to use another Microtek scanner.