Page 12 of 17 « First<1011121314>Last »
Topic Options
#5571374 - 04/02/12 11:28 PM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: DavidMerryweather]
buttock Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: gettin jiggly wit it
 Originally Posted By: DavidMerryweather
 Originally Posted By: buttock
I *gulp* actually agree with Mitch on this one. (I feel so ashamed).

The check did nothing but transfer the rights from S&S to National. It really doesn't have a whole lot of historic significance. Superman was well established at this point. It's not far off from having a copy of the contract from when Warner Bros acquired DC.

While I respect your's and Mitch's POV, I think you are both dead wrong on this, and keep in mind that I'm not a DC or Superman collector.

The significance of the check is in the history it supports. If there were no check there may not have been Superman, at least in a published form recognizable to comic collectors and the world today!

The check is the establishing connection that provides a foundation for the entire comic book history. Before DC issued this check and S&S decided to accept it there had been several failed attempts to sell the idea to a newspaper syndicate; it wasn't like the competition would've paid more or even given a second thought to publishing the character.

Afterwards it could be argued that DC didn't treat Superman's creators well, but it is doubtful that any publisher would have paid more in 1938 for an unproven character given the number of rejections Superman had received. In fact, it's an amazing testament to luck and the historical significance of this one insignificant check that Superman exists today!

Whoops, it's been a while since I looked at the check. I had it in my mind that it was from a later date after Superman had been on the stands for several years.

THANK GOD I don't agree with Mitch. I was really in a conundrum there!

I'd like to ask everyone to please forget that I agreed with him and sincerely ask for forgiveness. That's a load off!

#5571449 - 04/03/12 12:07 AM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: buttock]
Hamlet Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

This auction has some impressive Mile High books.

The Mile High copies of Master Comics 22, 23, and 28.

The Mile High copies of a few Phantom Lady issues.

The entire Mile High Thrilling run.

I think there are going to be strong prices for some of these books.

#5571590 - 04/03/12 03:08 AM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: Hamlet]
Mr. 10% Offline
Bid more or post more... tough one...

I have given up on this thread. What the *spoon* is going on with everybody these days ... \(shrug\)

SIGH

#5572067 - 04/03/12 11:43 AM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: nearmint]
MrBedrock Offline

Bedrock City sells breathmints!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Home of the Astros
 Originally Posted By: nearmint
 Originally Posted By: Mmehdy
.....as Charlie would say......LOSER

This explains so much. It's like trying to have a reasonable conversation with Charlie Sheen.

WINNING!

http://www.bedrockcity.com

Team Cool Books™

#5572087 - 04/03/12 11:53 AM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: MrBedrock]
G.A.tor Offline

only a schmuck would want a custom title...

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Gator Nation
I have my eye on several books I hope to win

Originally posted by Mmehdy:
"You play you pay......Judgment day is coming and in your comic collecting hearts....... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE..
It is time for "Daddy" and he is gonna give you a spanking......"

#5572267 - 04/03/12 12:45 PM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: G.A.tor]
Transplant Offline

WARNING!!! This member is passive aggressive. Please beware of sharp fingernails.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ellen James Society
I think a very important point is being lost in the back and forth here. There was a solicitation earlier in this thread for Mitch to post an amount he would accept to quit posting altogether. Have we got a number yet? I have donors lined up.

If not a lifetime self-ban, how about a $$ amount on a year by year basis. It could be an annuity during his golden years.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Charles Bukowski

GACollectibles: It seems very....passive aggressive.
DrWatson: I have known him several years and I can say with some absurdness that there isn't anything passive about him.

Passive Aggressive spite posting like a B0$$, since 2007.

#5572442 - 04/03/12 01:54 PM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: Transplant]
DavidMerryweather Online   content
Pedigreed

Loc: The nearest pub
 Originally Posted By: Transplant
I think a very important point is being lost in the back and forth here. There was a solicitation earlier in this thread for Mitch to post an amount he would accept to quit posting altogether. Have we got a number yet? I have donors lined up.

If not a lifetime self-ban, how about a $$ amount on a year by year basis. It could be an annuity during his golden years.

hm Why is it that I'm left with the impression that you are a Congressional lobbyist!?

Edited by DavidMerryweather (04/03/12 01:58 PM)

Wanted (8.5+): Captain America #1, 3, 4, 11-20, Mystic #6, 8-10, Hit #4-17 (most), Marvel Mystery #28, Silver Streak #8 & many MOAR!

#5572443 - 04/03/12 01:55 PM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: bluechip]
ComicConnoisseur Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: BOSTON STRONG
This Babe Ruth contract might put a different perspective on the Superman check.

This is the famous contract of selling Babe Ruth from the Red Sox to the Yankees. It was sold at Sotheby's for $996,000!
\:o
Babe Ruth contract sells for $996,000!

I wonder what Superman`s check will bring?
hm

Edited by ComicConnoisseur (04/03/12 02:00 PM)

#5572456 - 04/03/12 02:01 PM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: DavidMerryweather]
Transplant Offline

WARNING!!! This member is passive aggressive. Please beware of sharp fingernails.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ellen James Society

hm Why is it that I'm left with the impression that you are a Congressional lobbyist!?
I think this is a movement the American people can support.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Charles Bukowski

GACollectibles: It seems very....passive aggressive.
DrWatson: I have known him several years and I can say with some absurdness that there isn't anything passive about him.

Passive Aggressive spite posting like a B0$$, since 2007.

#5572466 - 04/03/12 02:07 PM Re: Comic Connect auction for April- Big books, no buzz? [Re: Transplant]
DavidMerryweather Online   content
Pedigreed

Loc: The nearest pub

I think this is a movement the American people can support.

I prefer hope and change to movements; if I need a movement that bad I'll take a laxative! \(thumbs u

Wanted (8.5+): Captain America #1, 3, 4, 11-20, Mystic #6, 8-10, Hit #4-17 (most), Marvel Mystery #28, Silver Streak #8 & many MOAR!

Page 12 of 17 « First<1011121314>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
1964 Kennedy proofs, wholesale lots. 67's-69's, Stars, Cams, UC's, AH's, etc...
by AHFreak
Today at 12:21 PM
WTB: OGP (no coin) 2008-W 1/4oz mint state Buffalo
by agentjim007
Today at 10:52 AM
Wanted
by darryl f jones
Today at 09:08 AM
FS or Trade: 1921-S Walker, PCGS vf35 CAC $2675
by BAJJERFAN
Today at 08:26 AM
Comics Marketplace
PS3 Games...
by MagnusX
51 minutes 29 seconds ago
Al Rio Art Book Kickstarter - Can you help?
by alrioart
Today at 06:18 PM
My 1%er sale - keys, KEYS, super KEYS, mega KEYS, Sooper Dooper KEYS and GRAILS!
by AGGIEZ
Today at 05:56 PM
Pocket Book of BONERS Dr. Seuss [First Book] 1941 PB 1st FNVFN Gloss White Pages
by ericjmz
Today at 05:44 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing