Page 8 of 8 « First<45678
Topic Options
#5571534 - 04/03/12 01:20 AM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: hockey&comicsguy]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Godfather, Part II
 Originally Posted By: hockey&comicsguy
 Originally Posted By: RockMyAmadeus

First popcorn, now this. \:o

Better watch it. You may actually start typing again and get yourself struck........again. I'd be real careful if I were you, seeing as how you can't control your emotions and all. D'oh
\(thumbs u

"Oh, come on now - I've seen worse critiques in a finger painting class." - Dr. Balls

"One flew east, and one flew west..." Ken Kesey

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

#5571542 - 04/03/12 01:35 AM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: Crazy_Horse]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Godfather, Part II
 Originally Posted By: the_Thing
 Originally Posted By: RedRaven
This is all just semantics based on assigning some level of personal responsibility.

Alcoholism is an illness and it should be treated on an individual basis with whatever the hell works. I could care less what anyone classifies it as.

I have to agree with RedRaven on this now. After reading every-one's input, I think of alcoholism more as a mental illness now than I do a "choice". And Flaming Gumline, I'll always know more about anything and everything than you do. I'm an American, you are British. All British are diseased. Gum Disease. I have great teeth.

"Oh, come on now - I've seen worse critiques in a finger painting class." - Dr. Balls

"One flew east, and one flew west..." Ken Kesey

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

#5571624 - 04/03/12 04:11 AM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: Dcoin]
ucleben Online   happy
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Dcoin
Call your HMO and tell them to pay for your stay at a posh detox center in 90210. Let me know how that conversation works out for you.
My HMO (Kaiser) paid for my treatment at a pretty nice hospital in Redwood City, lo those many years ago.
"It’s not okay to hate anybody."
"Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time when they learn they’re not attracting attention with it."
-Atticus Finch

#5571774 - 04/03/12 08:48 AM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: ucleben]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
There's a lot of great discussions in this thread but I generally have always been wary to call alcoholism a disease.

I have no problem calling it an addiction. I suppose it's the context in which it's being talked about that should be qualified.

For example, alcohol is not really the disease itself in my opinion but more a symptom of something deeper in the person that is causing them to drink.

Unhappiness, depression, chemical imbalance, a string of poor lifestyle choices culminated in all of the previous states, etc are all often remedied by drugs and alcohol.

So yes, I do feel that simply labelling alcohol abuse as a disease is oversimplifying the matter.

And yes, I have a lot of experience with the stuff.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5571969 - 04/03/12 10:49 AM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: Crazy_Horse]
hockey&comicsguy Online   content
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Nati

I have to agree with RedRaven on this now. After reading every-one's input, I think of alcoholism more as a mental illness now than I do a "choice". And Flaming Gumline, I'll always know more about anything and everything than you do. I'm an American, you are British. All British are diseased. Gum Disease. I have great teeth.

Well, perhaps it's not complete agreement, perhaps its still just a semantic argument....but I just wanted to point this out to everyone and Thing for doing what seldom gets done around here. Somebody actually took in what other people had to say, it affected how they view something and they changed their view somewhat. When you think about how rare this is on this board, that's pretty awesome.

Probably the only time this is ever going to happen for me when it comes to Things' normally incessant postings but here goes:

\(worship\)

#5572304 - 04/03/12 12:57 PM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: Crazy_Horse]
Comicopolis Offline

Only 7000 posts in more than 7 years - that's just lazy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Just whistle
 Originally Posted By: RedRaven
This is all just semantics based on assigning some level of personal responsibility.

Alcoholism is an illness and it should be treated on an individual basis with whatever the hell works. I could care less what anyone classifies it as.

#5572310 - 04/03/12 12:58 PM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: hockey&comicsguy]
Comicopolis Offline

Only 7000 posts in more than 7 years - that's just lazy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Just whistle
 Originally Posted By: hockey&comicsguy

Well, perhaps it's not complete agreement, perhaps its still just a semantic argument....but I just wanted to point this out to everyone and Thing for doing what seldom gets done around here. Somebody actually took in what other people had to say, it affected how they view something and they changed their view somewhat. When you think about how rare this is on this board, that's pretty awesome.

Probably the only time this is ever going to happen for me when it comes to Things' normally incessant postings but here goes:

\(worship\)

Yes it took a few internet postings to teach an old bloke what most of us already knew.

Score one for the interwebs.

#5575299 - 04/04/12 04:40 PM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: hockey&comicsguy]
Walkerfan Online   offline

TOTAL NEWBIE, makes no sense and seems very paradoxical and counter-intuitive.

Is it a very lame attempt at sarcastic humor??

I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: USA
Not a physical disease but a mental one----addiction.

"The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step." Chinese philosopher Lao-tzu
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is right now." Chinese Proverb.

#5576546 - 04/04/12 11:10 PM Re: POLL: Is alcoholism a disease? [Re: Walkerfan]
aunt agatha Offline
Talkative?

Alcohol can draw a person into its web.

Right now, I'm trying not to get stuck and eaten.

So far so good.

But I am definitely dependent on these spirits.

I appreciate the OP for the topic.

At this point, my main problem with drinking is
that I don't get anything else done.

Page 8 of 8 « First<45678

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FSH; BU roll 1956 Franklins fresh and crisp $335
by cucamongacoin
Barber Coins for Sale
by Elbesaar
01:58 PM
FSH: Some Monster Rainbow Toners! Washingtons, Franklins, Lincolns
by PCcoins
01:32 PM
WTB MS67 FS War Nickel
by Ugakoivet
09:47 PM
Comics Marketplace
Batman New52 Sketch Covers Recently back from CGC 9.8's
by bcphillips119
Brand new Xbox One w/o Kinect for sale - $350 shipped
by Barth
20% Off Original Comic Art Sale! Over 70 Originals Being Retired Permanently!
by Sheltone
05:04 PM
Modern CGC Blue and Yellows. Don't Call It A Comeback....
by Jonesin4Comics
04:42 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.