Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#5571559 - 04/03/12 02:20 AM Price increase confusion getting book sign...
xxpikemanxx Offline
Just got here

When I had my books signed last year, the CGC crew were the ones who prep my comics with by cracking the slab, cutting out the plastic cover, and placing backing board - it was nicely done. They also had the artists signed without my presence and WITHOUT extra costs.

This year I only had 2 books to submit and signed but I was told to cracked the slab by myself and to prepare the book for signing (cut the plastic cover, placed backing board). I wasn't even given instructions how to cut the slab properly without damaging the books and they just stood there without giving me instructions. Atleast one of the CGC guys who accompany me to witness the signing was nice enough to suggest what to do coz i was too scared to damaged the books. Wasn't the handling fee suppose to cover the prepping?

I'm also confused about the pricing. Is CGC charging $5 for every artist who signed the book eventhough the artist never asked for any authograph fee? how much will it cost for a 2 modern comics with less than $50 value -1. three artists signed for one comic book, and 2. one artist for the other. Is the handling fee charged per book or per submission form? I'm from 98295 WA using a PO box - how much is the shipping fee?

Thanks guys \:\)

Edited by xxpikemanxx (04/03/12 02:47 AM)

#5571561 - 04/03/12 02:24 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: xxpikemanxx]
A-DONIS Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Where Rays Fans Live!
I'm confused at just reading what you posted.

Authorized CGC Dealer, Facilitator, and CAW

Accepting Submissions for NYCC 2014 - YES!

#5571566 - 04/03/12 02:31 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: A-DONIS]
spawnfiend Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Sketch Fever Asylum
 Originally Posted By: GODOFTHUNDER
I'm confused at just reading what you posted.

Ditto lol

But let me guess what your asking for a basic book, which is $35 (includes 1 sig) + $5 for each additional sig + $5 per invoice

#5571571 - 04/03/12 02:38 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: spawnfiend]
Drakeprimeone Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

A rough price is
35$ for one of your books
45$ for the book with 3 sigs
then add another 5$ for the invoice assuming the 2 books are on the same invoice

As far as prepping your books for you, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't help you crack your books out of their slabs. Not everyone is good at doing it. Last show I went to CGC cracked my books for me. I don't know if they will go the extra mile as to prepare a nice cut out window bag for you for sig placement but you should be able to do that yourself before you go to the show, if anything it saves time for you to do it yourself in advance, also you get the window placement exactly how you want it.

Hope that helps

#5571579 - 04/03/12 02:49 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: A-DONIS]
xxpikemanxx Offline
Just got here

sorry ESL \:p edited it hope it's better \:\)
#5571582 - 04/03/12 02:53 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: Drakeprimeone]
xxpikemanxx Offline
Just got here

i guess that explains it; i expected them to prep it coz they did it previous year. if i knew i had prep, i would have done it at home.

thanks guys

#5571591 - 04/03/12 03:08 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: xxpikemanxx]
A-DONIS Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Breakdown of the CGC SS Prices:

CGC SS Moderns $28

Fast Track (Optional) $10

Additional Signature Fees $5

Return Shipping - Registered US MAIL $14 first book.

As far as cracking Blue Lables, they won't. Yellow SS, they have to.

Am I missing something?

#5571654 - 04/03/12 06:14 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: A-DONIS]
Drakeprimeone Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Originally Posted By: GODOFTHUNDER
As far as cracking Blue Lables, they won't. Yellow SS, they have to.

Wow they really won't? So if I were to walk up to their table with a blue label slab and say "hey, I want to get this signed but I'm not sure how to crack this out." they will not help me out? Or do you mean they won't let me drop off a stack of slabs and expect them to crack them out for me?

#5571896 - 04/03/12 10:08 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: Drakeprimeone]
Worldsbestcomics Offline

I have no influence with CGC.

Pedigreed

Loc: No Longer Behind the Number On...
I talked to Joe about this at ECCC. CGC used to do all the prep work for collectors getting SS books done but they recently implemented a new policy after the New York show for a couple reasons.

First, people were showing up with boxes and boxes of slabs and the prep workload at the booth was becoming overwhelming. I prepped 25 blue label books this year for Silvestri to sign and I understand much better all the work involved. I can't imagine having to do 2000 or more. But, I also share your fear about not knowing how and wanting to do it right so I don't screw up the books. JJ was working at the booth and gave me some helpful advice but it was stressful and depending on the results, I may not do it again.

Second, there is a liability issue. I didn't ask Joe for details but CGC's insurance company may be concerned about claims being filed on books that come back with a lower grade.

My CAF sketch cover gallery

#5571997 - 04/03/12 11:08 AM Re: Price increase confusion getting book sign... [Re: Worldsbestcomics]
A-DONIS Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I agree 100%. Practice makes perfect when it comes to cracking blue lables.

But once you get the hang of it, it's like clock work.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  SoylentBlue, Architecht, dena, Gemma, cgcmod2, cgcmod, cgcmod3, plitch, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
New coins @ kittlecoins.com: MS67+ Buffalo 5c, Toned Bust Halves, Commems & more
by illini420
09:06 PM
1837 Feuchtwanger 3c coin for sale at the Gettysburg Coin Show
by MICHAELDIXON
09:25 AM
FS: 1936 & 1938 uncirculated Canadian Dollars.
by agentjim007
09/18/14 10:44 PM
1966 Doubled Die Half Dollar. NGC 67 Cameo
by planman2014
09/18/14 08:32 PM
Comics Marketplace
12c and 15c DCs up at ComicLink - Batman, BB, JLA, GL, Flash
by BCarter27
02:47 AM
X-Men #94 VG+/F for Sale - SOLD
by Pinky Lee Zepplin
11:46 PM
Sketches, MODERN CGC SS, OFG, MISC
by Jimmy Linguini
11:26 PM
Thor #251 Page #2 by Big John Buscema $750
by cgcworld
10:59 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing