Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5562950 - 03/30/12 04:46 AM Books for grading posted by Matmarvel
CSJournals Offline

CSJournals is an automated user that posts journal entries for anyone who does not have their own message board account yet.

Just got here

Finished sorting

Finally got around to sorting out my books for grading, 72 in total from my personal raw collection.
Usual criteria applies no spine breaks, sharp corners, good gloss and crisp white pages. 72 doesn't sound that many but try carefully inspecting two or three times that amount to filter them down and it adds up to a long night with tired eyes!

Now I am on a budget but I also want to finish this while I'm still young. I've decided to send them at five a time (apart from the last submission which will have a couple extra) So 14 submissions, one every two or three weeks. The major factor for me to take into account is the postage back to the UK, which can run very high as CGC use UPS e.g a recent order cost me $80 for four books using UPS, so that really bumps up the cost.

I have also made a commitment to my wife that while the grading odyssey is in force I will not purchase any books... (sad face) but I want these books graded and she wants to ensure we eat! so it's a fair trade off, I think..

There's a few rare variants and interesting books in the lot so I will update as they return.

See more journals by Matmarvel

#5563529 - 03/30/12 12:56 PM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: CSJournals]
SREW Offline
Learning the Ropes

Good luck with these... I was thinking about sending books from the UK but you're right the postage is horrible (and CGC don't seem to have anywhere online indicating what it will cost). Are you sending them in batches of five because that's the optimum number for keeping the postage costs down - is there an optimum in this regard?
#5565225 - 03/31/12 08:56 AM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: SREW]
MatMarvelV1 Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Rhyl, North Wales, UK
To be honest it's just a monetary value with me - say 5 moderns @$17 = $85, minus 10% = 76.50 plus say $85 postage is $161.50, which is around £100 and that is about how much I want to pay at a time \(thumbs u
#5609341 - 04/18/12 07:59 AM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: MatMarvelV1]
dlagewaa Offline
Just got here

Yes. International shipping by CGC can set you down quite a bit. Recently I shipped an invoice with 3 books (my annual membership bonus: 3 books Express free of charge) and an invoice with 15 books. Registered mail from The Netherlands to Florida for 33 $.

Then CGC came back to me informing me that with regard to the return address I checked the wrong box. That CGC uses only FEDEX for international return shipments. They added that my Express shipment would cost me 80$ and the other shipment would cost me 120 $ ....200$ Personally I find that shocking and it does not really show - shall we say - concern for their clients' interests on the side of CGC.

Anyway. I worked around this. And I must say CGC were helpful. I asked them to send the graded books to the address of a friend of mine in the US. And my friend will combine both shipments into one and ship it to me with USPS for less than 20$ (with track & trace).

So now I'm paying: 57 $ (which is not really 'economy') for the domestic leg of the trip plus 20$ = 77 $. I'm saving close to 120 $ in this particular situation and about 60$ on a regular shipment of 15 books). In my way of thinking: that pays for the pictures of the graded books.

So get yourself a US delivery address.

Edited by dlagewaa (04/18/12 08:02 AM)

#5609684 - 04/18/12 11:38 AM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: dlagewaa]
mschmidt Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Vernon Hills, IL
 Originally Posted By: dlagewaa
Anyway. I worked around this. And I must say CGC were helpful. I asked them to send the graded books to the address of a friend of mine in the US. And my friend will combine both shipments into one and ship it to me with USPS for less than 20$ (with track & trace).

I don't want to the bearer of bad news, but your friend is completely off the mark on the USPS shipping cost - there's no way you can ship multiple slabs to the Netherlands with tracking for less than $20.

I just got a box of 5 slabbed books back from CGC - the shipping weight on the box was 7 lbs. USPS priority mail postage (which is the cheapest service that allows you to track the package) to Holland for that 7 lbs box would have been $64.65.
Cerebus #1 in VF/NM or better

#5620458 - 04/22/12 06:05 PM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: mschmidt]
dlagewaa Offline
Just got here

I stand corrected. Writing my response I used the wrong amount from my notes.

I should have used

Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate BoxMore info about Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate Box USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds. 6 - 10 business days $47.95

3 Express books and 15 economy books make 18 books. A slab weighs 400 grams we're talking about 7.2 kgs, which is absolutely less than the maximum of 20 pounds.

Consequently: 57 + 47,95 = 104,95. Compared to 200 $ with Fedex it still comes down to a nice saving, doesn't it?

Just to make sure: the 46,95 is what I get using the USPS 'get a price' function. I enter The Netherlands, non USPS standard package and 18 pounds).

Edited by dlagewaa (04/22/12 06:06 PM)

#5620545 - 04/22/12 06:38 PM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: dlagewaa]
mschmidt Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Vernon Hills, IL
 Originally Posted By: dlagewaa
I stand corrected. Writing my response I used the wrong amount from my notes.

I should have used

Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate BoxMore info about Priority Mail® International Medium Flat Rate Box USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds. 6 - 10 business days $47.95

3 Express books and 15 economy books make 18 books. A slab weighs 400 grams we're talking about 7.2 kgs, which is absolutely less than the maximum of 20 pounds.

Consequently: 57 + 47,95 = 104,95. Compared to 200 $ with Fedex it still comes down to a nice saving, doesn't it?

Just to make sure: the 46,95 is what I get using the USPS 'get a price' function. I enter The Netherlands, non USPS standard package and 18 pounds).

You're right about the $47.95, but that's for a single USPS Medium Flat Rate box which can hold no more than 4-5 CGC slabs (and that's with the barest amount of protection - I'd personally never send more than 3 slabs in this particular box) due to the box only being 3 3/8" thick. The other Medium Flat Rate box is deeper, but it's not long enough to contain a CGC book.

That's how the flat rate boxes work - you pay a flat postage fee, but you have to use the specific USPS flat rate shipping boxes so, more often than not, it's not the item's weight that's an issue, but rather being able to fit your items inside these boxes.
Cerebus #1 in VF/NM or better

#5662137 - 05/08/12 01:22 PM Re: Books for grading posted by Matmarvel [Re: mschmidt]
LWM Offline
Hobbyist

msschmidt is absolutely correct. You are going to be better off having CGC send them to you direct. Your mistake is going to cost you more money and a longer wait to receive your books.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  plitch, Architecht, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod3, Gemma, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
GOOD COINS FOR SALE REASONABLE PRICES
by wmfielding
08:23 AM
WTB - Beautifully Toned 1964 MS Lincoln Cent
by mikew148
12:50 AM
CAC 1795 Half Dime & Dollar! GOLD! 1877 $20 NGC AU58, $50 Buffalos, Baseball Unc
by AnkurJ
10:58 PM
My 19th century listings at Great Collections - silver and gold.....
by Hard Times
08:33 PM
Comics Marketplace
Two Silver Surfer Slabs
by The Syndicate
SOLD - Thanks!
by Boba
Peter Panzerfaust 2, 6, 8, 10, 13, 14, 15, 17
by PDX Comics
12:01 PM
Beachbum's 2014 WW Chicago Sales Thread
by BeachBum
10:12 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing