• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhattan Projects

1,044 posts in this topic

THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS the newest Image Comics series by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Pitarra also has a first issue that is receiving a third printing after orders for its second printing surpassed the print run. A story in the print and online versions of USA Today and rave reviews accompanied the series debut on March 7.

"The Manhattan Projects is off to a tremendous start, one of the big concept author’s strongest, most inventive opening chapters," wrote Paul Montgomery in his review at iFanboy.

THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS creates an alternate reality where the real-life project to develop the atomic bomb is just a front to hide far more bizarre government programs. The creative team of Hickman and Pitarra previously collaborated on THE RED WING, also published by Image Comics.

THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #1's second printing will be on sale on April 4, with the third printing (FEB128156) following on April 18. THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #2 will be in stores on April 11.

This was a great read, and I'm surprised it isn't getting more love on the boards. #1 has apparently gone to a 3rd printing, so clearly someone is reading it...

If you haven't checked it out yet you really should!

This was a great read, and I'm surprised it isn't getting more love on the boards. #1 has apparently gone to a 3rd printing, so clearly someone is reading it...

If you haven't checked it out yet you really should!

I loved the first 2 quarters and the last quarter but the *SPOILER* wacky Japanese attack robots travelling through a portal in the 3rd quarter put me right off. Really liked the ending and surprisingly didn't see it coming.

Edited by buddymagoo

I didn't have a problem with the Japanese attack robots. I thought they fit in well with the tenor of the rest of the story. If you are working on mystical/futuristic weapons to fight WWII, why wouldn't an attack from a portal full of Japanese kamikaze robots fit right into that?

I didn't have a problem with the Japanese attack robots. I thought they fit in well with the tenor of the rest of the story. If you are working on mystical/futuristic weapons to fight WWII, why wouldn't an attack from a portal full of Japanese kamikaze robots fit right into that?

I thought it would be a little more subtle. I just wasn't expecting it.

I thought it fit right in and set up the type of situation that the characters would be dealing with. I rather liked it. But if you weren't at that level of suspension of disbelief in this story I can see where it may have been a bit offputting.

Image made Manhattan Projects issues 1, 2 and 3 fully returnable!

Rich (bleeding cool):Marvel and DC use a number of incentives, it seems, from partial returnability, to added discounts, to tiered variant covers. What can you do more to persuade retailers to stock these books in depth initially?

Eric Stephenson (executive/publisher): We do, Rich. We offer all kinds of incentives. Since the beginning of this year, retailers have been able to order the first three issues of a variety of our 2012 books and qualify for full returnability. We did that with Fatale, we did that with Saga, Thief of Thieves, Manhattan Projects… We’ve been offering added discounts for years, and good retailers definitely take advantage of those things.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/30/the-bleeding-i-talking-with-eric-stephenson-about-image-selling-out/