Page 1 of 15 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5530619 - 03/16/12 09:35 PM Whats going on with shield nickels ?
dooly Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Northumberland UK
Hi all i have just wasted an hour of my life going through all the shield's on USA ebay , only 10% of the pictures/scans were good the rest well what could say but they were "pants" also less than 1% were auctions and of the auctions most of them were way over the top starting prices.

never mind that but the state of 99% of the coins listed and optimistic graded blew me away.. have i missed something are these "Hot" at the moment in the US ?

two good things about looking though was .. there was nothing i wanted (even the over priced ones) and it made me appreciate the quality of mine \:\)

http://www.northumberlandcollectables.com/

There is no such thing as a lucky person only a person who looks !

#5530790 - 03/16/12 10:23 PM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: dooly]
Raybo55 Offline
Talkative?

Would you do me a favor and grade this one for me dooly?
I'm still a newbie at grading Shield Nickels (any other info you could throw at me would also be appreciated). \(shrug\)

Make it two!

You've probably seen both of them before but I just want to keep your mind sharp!

Ray

Edited by Raybo55 (03/16/12 10:24 PM)

#5531124 - 03/17/12 01:12 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: Raybo55]
skippy Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Ray, I grade the '67 VF-35. The '83 is tougher to grade from a photo, but I think I see wear on it so give it an AU-58. If there's no wear, then MS-62, maybe 63.

Dooly, there is nothing going on that I know of that makes shield nickels any warmer (I hesitate to say hotter) than usual. Just over-optimistic sellers. There is a shield nickel on eBay right now I'd like to own, but the seller is offering it for about double what I think it's worth (hundreds too much - I don't mind overpaying a bit sometimes, but this is ridiculous).

Edited by skippy (03/17/12 01:14 AM)

#5531493 - 03/17/12 08:32 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: skippy]
dooly Offline

Originally Posted By: skippy
Ray, I grade the '67 VF-35. The '83 is tougher to grade from a photo, but I think I see wear on it so give it an AU-58. If there's no wear, then MS-62, maybe 63.

Dooly, there is nothing going on that I know of that makes shield nickels any warmer (I hesitate to say hotter) than usual. Just over-optimistic sellers. There is a shield nickel on eBay right now I'd like to own, but the seller is offering it for about double what I think it's worth (hundreds too much - I don't mind overpaying a bit sometimes, but this is ridiculous).

Hi mate .. i bow to the knowledge of the shield master skippy

bang on with them grades as usual

I think i know the one you have seen .. sometimes i put i high BIN price on an item i just wish they would put a best offer option on them as well !

well enough ranting how about some pictures of a couple i have acquired

one special and one not so can you all tell which is which ? just for fun

coin 2

#5531507 - 03/17/12 08:44 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: dooly]
Conder101 Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: East central Indiana
Well the 68 is a DDO. I don't know which one though.

#5531621 - 03/17/12 10:01 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: Conder101]
Oldtrader3 Offline

The Unknown Engineer

Pedigreed

Loc: Western Washington
That is Ebay Dooly. Super high prices and crappy pictures. It has become my venue of last resort and I buy few coins there anymore and mostly not from the Power Sellers. Fees are high, prices follow, no rules enforcement to speak of, and anything goes.

Some decent deals can be had but the time spent finding them is enormous.

#5531715 - 03/17/12 10:47 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: Oldtrader3]
johnny9434 Offline

i was always impartial to the shield nickel with rays \:\)

#5531728 - 03/17/12 10:54 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: Conder101]
dooly Offline

Originally Posted By: Conder101
Well the 68 is a DDO. I don't know which one though.

nice one you miss nothing

no sure my self i think it could be a F-108

#5531735 - 03/17/12 10:56 AM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: Oldtrader3]
dooly Offline

Originally Posted By: Oldtrader3
That is Ebay Dooly. Super high prices and crappy pictures. It has become my venue of last resort and I buy few coins there anymore and mostly not from the Power Sellers. Fees are high, prices follow, no rules enforcement to speak of, and anything goes.

Some decent deals can be had but the time spent finding them is enormous.

you bet I spend to much time .. but as you say sometimes it pays off .. guess you will not be looking at my stuff as i am now a power seller

#5533542 - 03/17/12 11:39 PM Re: Whats going on with shield nickels ? [Re: dooly]
skippy Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

The '68 is a DDO and a reverse of '68 with one broken letter (FS-002.94 for the reverse). The reverse is not as common as the reverse of '67, but it is by no means rare or even scarce.

The DDO is, in fact, F-108 (aka S2-1001 and 7-O-IV). The die cracks, date position, and shape of the engraved leaf all provide a positive match.

Page 1 of 15 12345>Last »

Moderator:  ngcmod, dena, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
World Coins for Sale / Updated: 30 July 2014
by brg5658
01:16 PM
coins for sale at great collections
by wmfielding
12:35 PM
WTB 2011 NGC PF70 Libertads
by bender9876
07:17 PM
FSH: Harry W. Bass Jr. Limited Edition Deluxe Cloth Hardbound Auction Catalogs
by BROADSTRUCK
01:28 PM
Comics Marketplace
Dogs in the Shop...J.Scott Campbell SALE. Pt.1
by ElvistheSniper
The Walking Dead #115 Midnight Release CGC 9.8 (1 HOUR LEFT)
by woodencomicframe
03:29 PM
100 HG raw Silver/Bronze: Marvel & DC
by paperheart
03:02 PM
Ends 2nite Marvel Premiere CGC 9.4 1st Scott Lang Ant-Man
by THB
02:48 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.052 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.