Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5517985 - 03/12/12 03:28 PM Hawaii State Quarter error
Merlin8* Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: NW
Hawaii collector finds error coins

Howdy friends,

Anyone see the AP article on Hawaii State Quarter error coins this morning? It does not mention wether they are MS or PF but I'll have to check mine when I get home. I

check my home town paper occasionally and saw this article this morning,

HONOLULU (AP) -- A Honolulu coin collector says there's a problem with Hawaii's commemorative quarters.

Collector Joe Au-Franz tells the Honolulu Star-Advertiser ( http://bit.ly/AqvsQL ) that he's come across about 85 faulty quarters that feature 10 main islands instead of what should be eight.

He says the erroneous quarters will be a rarity among collectors. He'll be speaking about the quarters at a Honolulu Coin Club meeting on Wednesday in Kalihi.

The coins were made at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia and were released in 2008. The newspaper was not able to reach mint officials.

Mike Ellis of the Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America theorizes there was faulty died in Philadelphia that cast the extra islands.

See more journals by Merlin8*

#5518408 - 03/12/12 05:28 PM Re: Hawaii State Quarter error [Re: Merlin8*]
The Beaw's Den Offline
Talkative?

Loc: AZTLAN
Seems odd such an error would go undetected for so many years on auch a scrutinized coin. Maybe die clashing or cracked dies are causing the extra "islands".

Later,
Mokie

#5518598 - 03/12/12 06:44 PM Re: Hawaii State Quarter error [Re: The Beaw's Den]
Coin Trader Offline
Collector

Loc: California
I've got one in my pocket right now... just checked it... it's got eight islands and a sea trench.

Hope his isn't post-mint-damage like mine.

#5518908 - 03/12/12 08:17 PM Re: Hawaii State Quarter error [Re: Coin Trader]
Merlin8* Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: NW
Duh, they did say P mint, I checked my album set when I got home and it has the correct number, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these, I'd like to see a photo of one.

Cool stuff,

Merlin8*

#5519574 - 03/13/12 12:21 AM Re: Hawaii State Quarter error [Re: Merlin8*]
SPHansen Offline
The Collectinator

Loc: Dallas, Tx
If they were made in Philly, then they'd have to be MS... and I also think its strange that it took so long to be noticed, if it is a true error.

#5519892 - 03/13/12 07:18 AM Re: Hawaii State Quarter error [Re: SPHansen]
Six Mile Rick Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Six Mile, S C
He must have acquired a bulk of rolls and just recently searched them. I bet he is glad he finally searched those for proof like and 68s.

#5525547 - 03/15/12 12:09 AM Re: Hawaii State Quarter error [Re: Six Mile Rick]
Jack Robinson Offline
(S)uper Collector

Loc: Southeastern North Carolina, U...
Ok, here is my two-cents or, in this case, 25 cents...

I happened to receive a 2008 P Hawaii state quarter today after reading the error announcement.

Depending on which eye I use, with and without my eye glasses on while squinting, I count 8; 9; or, 10 Islands on this particular coin.

I then put my coin under a magnifying glass and I noticed that two of the smaller Islands seem to be split in half. Making an 8 Island coin into 10.

Does anyone have an enlarged image of the Hawaii Island coin's Rev.? I would like to see and count the ten Islands.

I will get a closeup image of my coin tomorrow and post it and hopefully we can see the Islands in question.

Best wishes to all,

Jack

http://www.lulu.com/jackrobinson
------

-------

-----------

--------

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  CCGmod0, ngcmod, Architecht, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1, jrich, cgcmod8, ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
WTB: 2009 Ultra High Relief Gold Eagle
by Proudtoown
09:34 PM
FS: NGC MS64BN Civil war token.
by agentjim007
03:39 PM
1 cent Morgans also halves and quarters!
by AstroTrain
03:21 PM
Today GreatCollections - Capuano Registry Set, Rare Gold, 1995-W $1
by ianrussell
10:51 AM
Comics Marketplace
Ghostly Weird #123
by RoninPonteVedra
33 GA/SA Lucite backing boards.
by RoninPonteVedra
RIPLEY's Believe it or Not! 5th series [Racist Cover] 1957 PBO 1st FN-VFN Unread
by ericjmz
06:58 AM
DC Comics Presents 26 and New Mutants 98 FS
by bubbagump
11:25 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.