• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman DC Variant Appreciation Thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

Unless I'm totally blind and can't search properly, I have been unable to find a thread dedicated to the Whitman DC Variants from the late '70s. I know there's a Whitman Variant thread but it's pretty much dedicated to the Gold Key Whitman Variants from the early to mid '80s.

So here's a new thread to discuss and post your Whitman DC Variants. (thumbs u

I'll start things out by posting a link to the Whitman DC Variant checklist:

Whitman DC Variant Checklist

and scans of the Whitman DC Variants I've managed to pick up over the last 10 years:

th_ActionComics483VF.jpgth_ActionComics490VF.jpgth_ActionComics491VF.jpgth_ActionComics492VF.jpgth_ActionComics502VF.jpg

th_ActionComics503VF-NM.jpgth_BraveandBold145VF.jpgth_BraveandBold146VF-.jpgth_BraveandBold146VG.jpgth_BraveandBold150VF.jpg

th_BraveandBold151FN-VF.jpgth_BraveandBold151VF-NM.jpgth_BraveandBold152VF-NM.jpgth_BraveandBold155VG.jpgth_DCComicsPresents2VG-.jpg

th_JusticeLeague171VF.jpgth_Superboy244VG-FN.jpgth_Superboy245VF-WhitmanVariant.jpgth_Superboy246VF.jpgth_Superboy247VF.jpg

th_Superboy248VF.jpgth_SuperFriends14VF.jpgth_Superman321VG-.jpgth_Superman330VG.jpgth_Superman335VF.jpg

th_Superman336VF.jpgth_Superman337FN-VF.jpgth_WonderWoman250VF-.jpgth_WonderWoman251VF.jpgth_WonderWoman252VF.jpg

th_WonderWoman255VF.jpgth_WonderWoman258VF-.jpg

There was a ancient thread here where a bunch of people were providing input and scans that enabled that checklist to be created.

I was not into them at that time, but marveled at the participation.

Since then, James built a matrix by month to try to figure out rhyme or reason, and also to perhaps point to undiscovered editions. I think it is still a mystery though.

I have completed a set of all the known ones.

Considering how hard some of the Whitman variants are too find, it isn't reflected in the market place.

So true. As large variant sets go, this set gets no respect. Probably due to the large contrywide distribution, coupled with the fact that they were considered reprints. (and are DC :kidaround:)

I was going through some old long boxes I had at my moms house and saw a few wonder woman titles with the Whitman variant.. I need to go back and see what I have. Got them when I was a kid.. Late 70s.

Hey all,

In my opinion, this is the toughest Whitman variant, and the single toughest bronze age DC war book to find - period - from 1968 to 1988. It is remarkably hard to find in grades above FN, and I was very pleased to nail this one last year. Looks to be about an 8.0

One thing that is interesting, though, is that when the tougher ones do come up they tend to be pretty reasonable. I think I got this one for less than 20 bucks.

It was the last book I needed to complete my bronze age DC war runs... a pretty happy day!

Shep

SR329whitman-1.jpg

I remember the Whitman reprints when they came out. I refuse to use the term variant, because they WERE reprints. They sold them in 3 packs at K-Mart well after the newsstand release by DC.

Nice books, but market clearly reflects that they were reprints.

I remember the Whitman reprints when they came out. I refuse to use the term variant, because they WERE reprints. They sold them in 3 packs at K-Mart well after the newsstand release by DC.

Nice books, but market clearly reflects that they were reprints.

I have listened to both sides of the debate (the marvel version too).

I do not think they are reprints, but I do agree with you that the market clearly reflects that they are perceived as reprints.

While the Sgt. Rock 329 is tough, I believe the Warlord 22 is harder. The only one I've ever seen I sold to to ShieldAgent about 5 years ago.

One thing I've noticed about Whitmans is that they are notoriously tough to find in grade. Probably because everybody thought they were reprints.

I was there (i.e. I'm old) and those suckers were reprints. They hit discount stores by the truckload nearly a year past the original printings.

Why do you think they're not considered reprints? Just curious.

I was there too, does that make me old? I don't feel old...

Other comics were sold in bags. Does that make them reprints? Yes, I know that bags were sometimes filled by stores.

None indicate that they are second prints. Yes, I know that does not mean they are not.

There are a bunch of things that do not make sense with these things. I understand putting extras in bags to sell them, but the choice of books with the Whitman logo for sale in multi-packs reprinted later just does not seem to follow any pattern. I guess this point could be used both ways.

Another item of note, the article in OS 40 refers to them as "type 7a". Although I do not subscribe to the "type" classifications, it is there for you to read and make your own interpretation. Basically it says they were simultaneous.

I guess it really boils down to aside from referring to them as "whitman reprints" in the past, there is nothing that I have seen that indicates they really are reprints.

Edited by ShieldAgent

That, my friend, is the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

I do not know the answer.

Another thing I forgot to mention, Whitman printed all of those Gold Key books and nobody calls those reprints.

And if you really want to reopen a can of worms, just say you believe the white box marvels were whitmans too. I do.

That, my friend, is the sixty-four thousand dollar question.

I do not know the answer.

Another thing I forgot to mention, Whitman printed all of those Gold Key books and nobody calls those reprints.

And if you really want to reopen a can of worms, just say you believe the white box marvels were whitmans too. I do.

I also tend to believe that all 3 scenarios - the DC Whitmans, the Marvel Whitmans and the Gold Key Whitmans - were variants and not reprints.

Does anyone know if anyone ever contacted someone at Whitman Publishing to verify any of this one way or the other? (shrug)