Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#5512483 - 03/10/12 11:47 AM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: HiHoAudio]
kryptonitecomics Offline
First Official Signature Set
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: O-Town Baby! Home of the Magic
I saw a lot of the ducats while searching but I really didn't like the reverse design with just a bunch of writing etc.

EBAY LINK
http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/sch/kryptonitecomics/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

#5514977 - 03/11/12 01:22 PM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: HiHoAudio]
mkman123 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

I've been tempted to do the same thing but want a 8 escudo, the ones you got......maybe I should get some

#5570648 - 04/02/12 06:27 PM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: mkman123]
8realescudos Offline
Learning the Ropes

Nice coins. There are some really undervalued coins in the "minor" gold coins of the Spanish Colonies, especially in the 2 and 4 escudos. I'd recommend concentrating on them as much as possible if your budget will allow. With the exception of the Segovia and Seville Mints in Spain, which started minting milled coinage well before all the other mints (Segovia early 1600s and Seville in 1699), the milled coinage started in Spain and Mexico in the 1730s and basically around 1750 in most other South American mint so your search will begin with those dates, as a general rule, later dates are cheaper. All these dates are approx and from memory which ain't what it used to be.

AFA 8 escudos go, considering that each one has approximately 1200 dollars worth of gold melt in it, you're not likely to find one on the cheap anymore.

I'd recommend buying solid no problem coins of whatever denomination, preferably in NGC or PCGS holders unless you are capable of grading them yourself. It is still possible to buy some 8 Esd. AU 50 coins from the Colonies in the 1700s for less than $2000 with careful shopping/bidding. Have Fun!

Edited by 8realescudos (04/06/12 07:05 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#5585055 - 04/08/12 03:47 AM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: 8realescudos]
mkman123 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

I'm comtemplating more and more to dump some bullion gold to get numismatic US or world gold!
#5585433 - 04/08/12 11:19 AM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: mkman123]
8realescudos Offline
Learning the Ropes

Unless you have a LARGE quantity of bullion gold, I'd suggest that you consider Spanish Colonial 8 escudos where you can still buy quite rare coins in very decent grades for less than $5000. There are dozens of coins that IF they were US gold coins of the same rarity would sell for 10s of times more money. Just as an example, in the approximately 140 years of milled edge Spanish Colonial and Republic minted 8 escudos coins there are only about a dozen coins that have over 20 examples graded by NGC from over a dozen mints. With the exception of the ship wreck recovery coin, the 1851 Santiago 8 escudos, there an NO 8 escudos with more than 50 graded and only a very few with more than 20. This compares to the US 1883-0 $10 with 800 examples minted total and 18 graded by NGC alone. There are literally hundreds of 8 escudos with 5 or less examples graded that sell for "common" money, on the order of $2000 to $2500 for AU coins and only a bit more for mint state examples of the more "common" dates. True, there are not as many 8 escudos graded as a percentage of the surviving population as in US coinage, but as a group, the coins are so much rarer than most US gold coins that have much higher prices that it is amazing. None of this is meant to disparage collecting US gold coins, I am only pointing out that for the money, 8 escudos, are a fantastic buy. From an investment POV, as in any collecting endeavor, especially coins, buy the rarest and finest examples that you can afford. Whether US or World coins, for investment purposes, it is far, far better to have one or two really fine coins than a double handful of low grade examples.

Edited by 8realescudos (04/08/12 11:25 AM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#5594492 - 04/12/12 06:23 AM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: kryptonitecomics]
HiHoAudio Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: New York, New York
 Originally Posted By: kryptonitecomics
I saw a lot of the ducats while searching but I really didn't like the reverse design with just a bunch of writing etc.

Perhaps a nice Dutch Gold Rider is more to your liking...

Be careful though as there are numerous Chinese counterfeits floating around.

#5594676 - 04/12/12 09:28 AM Re: Bought some pirate gold Finally and decided to start a set [Re: HiHoAudio]
CyberspaceVoid Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Texas and other furrin places
 Originally Posted By: HiHoAudio
 Originally Posted By: kryptonitecomics

Perhaps a nice Dutch Gold Rider is more to your liking...

lol I like it too! And as I can't seem to get the Conders I want I might just have to refocus (again)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  ngcmod, dena, Jay Turner, CCGmod0, PaulS., Barbara T, Keith Zaner, ccgmod1, jrich, cgcmod8 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Huge BLACK FRIDAY Sale starting at 12 am November 28th!
by JackieOF
dave wnuck's mid-november new coin listing and newsletter
by michael
01:36 AM
A Lovely High Grade 1771 Pillar 8 Reales
by fred13
09:15 PM
GreatCollections - Today - 1000s of Listings - Fast Shipping - Lowest Fees
by ianrussell
05:50 PM
Comics Marketplace
Two CGC Books for Thanksgiving: Amazing Spider-Man 121 and Avengers 11
by Mike22
SLABSGIVING!!! CGC 9.8's starting at $17 VARIANTS!
by theTrust
FF 48 8.5 ow/w $1025 Shipped in US $1040 shipped to Canada
by VW ClobberinThing
Sensation Comics #1 -C/OW-1.8 & Superman #2 OW/W-2.5
by RickyBobby
07:31 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.