Page 1 of 874 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#550731 - 09/08/04 08:58 PM Recent Pre-Code Purchases
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: USA
I'm pumped up about three books that I bought recently. Sorry for the lame pictures.... I don't have a scanner. These aren't super high-grade like many of the museum pieces that I've seen here recently on the boards, but for what they are, Farrell pre-code horror, the condition is stellar. They all belonged to a single collector who spent many, many years putting togeter an Ajax/Farrell collection. One reason I am very excited to have these books is that they are in very similar condition with vibrant colors and good page quality. Each has a cover crease, but not much in the way of edge tears, chipping or chunks. It's very difficult to put together a nice run, and unless you're a multi-millionaire, you have to go for books that are less than NM to do so. And that means finding books with similar defects and appeal. The collector of these books did an admirable job.

The first book is Haunted Thrills #5 with what I consider to be a classic skull cover. I love this one...

Attachments
592290-ht5.jpg (444 downloads)
Description:

Edited by paull (09/08/04 09:20 PM)

#550732 - 09/08/04 09:02 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Here's Haunted Thrills #8 with a beautiful cover... Someone should tell me why Ajax/Farrell books get such a bad rap... The green color gradation below the logo is really great...

Attachments
592297-ht8.jpg (408 downloads)
Description:

Edited by paull (09/08/04 09:03 PM)

#550733 - 09/08/04 09:05 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

And here's Haunted Thrills #10. Even though I typically don't like word balloons on covers, this one was too good to pass up. I just fell in love with that eggplant purple cover background... Farrell had some great colorist(s)... The interiors were uniquely colored as well.

Attachments
592299-ht10.jpg (405 downloads)
Description:

Edited by paull (09/08/04 09:06 PM)

#550734 - 09/08/04 09:11 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Here's an interior page to HT #5

Attachments
592308-pg1.jpg (417 downloads)
Description:

Edited by paull (09/08/04 09:13 PM)

#550735 - 09/08/04 09:17 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Here'a another splash page for a story in HT #5. Note the interesting and unusual color pallete. The Iger colorists did a great job with these books....

Attachments
592312-pg2.jpg (399 downloads)
Description:

Edited by paull (09/08/04 09:17 PM)

#550736 - 09/08/04 09:42 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
BachelorOfComix Offline
The lean, mean popcorn-eating machine

Loc: Slope Brow Valley

#550737 - 09/08/04 09:50 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
Poverty_Row Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco, C...
Well first off, Paul, those covers are just beautiful. The books really look good - have great color and look pretty danged clean, rich and glossy! Subject matter? Well, I guess if you like precode horror they may appeal to SOME people.

OK - seriously, those really are classic precode, especially the first two covers. And it is most generous to show some of those pages as well! Really enjoying these!

You may want to post them, though, in the Have A Cigar - Golden Age Only thread here. It is locked at the top and your sweet books will be seen for as long as you keep the links up!
Excel Spreadsheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bocj4c8r1i5xlnu

Delimited Text File (for importing into other apps)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?fatq0qp54ltz1ba

#550738 - 09/08/04 10:18 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: Poverty_Row]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Thanks, POV. I have to be honest.... I had other targets in mind in pre-code horror books when I first saw these. Seeing them up close made me realize that I had to have them for my collection. There was something about not only the condition of the books, but the production values, quality covers, and cover coloring that swayed me.

As for the interior pages, I wish I could show them all, but my fingers would fall off by then... I do nothing all day but sit in front of a computer. I wish others would show more interior pages. Sometimes it's as if the covers (or is it the CGC label?) are the only thing that matters...

#550739 - 09/08/04 10:25 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
precodekeith Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Ohio - The Horror of it All
Bravo! Simply awesome books! I don't think the Iger shop gets enough respect. A/F put out some really kooky/kool pre-code horror books. Gotta luv 'em!

#550740 - 09/08/04 10:28 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
Poverty_Row Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco, C...
I had other targets in mind in pre-code horror books when I first saw these. Seeing them up close made me realize that I had to have them for my collection.

I have to say it is great to see yet another precode horror collector here! We are slowly gaining in world dominion!

Have you seen my pre-code horror checklist? It is my take on all of the precode horror books including title, publisher, issue numbers, dates and some notes. You can open it in your browser (it is in CSV format), copy it and paste it right into a spreadsheet. Hope you think it is useful. Was fun to com;pile and I opcassionally update it. If you see something that should be added or removed please let me know!

Precode Horror Checklist
Excel Spreadsheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?bocj4c8r1i5xlnu

Delimited Text File (for importing into other apps)
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?fatq0qp54ltz1ba

Page 1 of 874 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
few barbers for your consideration.
by mrkbrown8709
01:19 AM
WTB- 1 real sweet PL Morgan. 1k budget
by KeeNoooo
11:12 PM
Peripheral coins from my collection for sale (US and elsewhere)
by shirohniichan
09:19 PM
Walkers & Early Roosies for sale before hitting Ebay
by RWW
11:20 AM
Comics Marketplace
2014 WonderCon Sale: The Bunker #1 (Francavilla) & The Life After #1 Early ed.
by vximagine
04:32 AM
WD, Hulk 271, ASM 361, Cerebus...This is all over the place!
by NIGHTCRAWLER
11:43 PM
Closed
by aasparky1000
11:32 PM
Trades, Variants, Hellboy in Mexico multi Lot
by Shrevvy
11:11 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 1.116 seconds in which 1.104 seconds were spent on a total of 18 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing