Page 4 of 1015 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#550761 - 09/09/04 11:44 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: drbanner]
precodekeith Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Ohio - The Horror of it All
Quote:

Are the actual prices of pre-code books coming down, or is it just that the guide has finally caught up with the market, and you no longer have to pay "multiples"?

The only pre-code horror I collect (for now!) are LB Cole covers, and they have come down a bit in cost over the last 5 years, so I'm just wondering if the same is true for EC's, etc.,.

I think it's a little of both, honestly. The Guide is probably "catching up" on some of the more high demand books. I think though the guide has "overpriced" many of the "common" pre-code issues. However, I know of several instances in which books are going for less than guide. In fact, I have made a couple purchases lately that were the same prices I was paying in say 1994 just before things "blew up." I can't tell you how happy I am about that!

#550762 - 09/09/04 01:38 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: precodekeith]
bounty_coder Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Your Crawlspace
Well this is just me adding my 2 cents from the peanut gallery. I remember about 2 1/2 years ago there was this seller on eBay from the Tacoma/Seattle Area of Washington that had on original collection of many of the Pre-Code EC books as well as titles like "This Magazine is Haunted" all in awesome strict Fine 6.0 to NM 9.2 grades. They had awesome vibrant covers. Well unfortunately I am a poor college boy and all of my bids got eclipsed. But they were going for fractions of guide. I could'nt believe it. I would have taken a loan out for them if I had the time to do so. *tear*

#550763 - 09/09/04 01:40 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: bounty_coder]
bounty_coder Offline

Here are a couple "Out of Night" books that I have from the ACG group. These are considered "pre-code" correct? I believe that they are 1955 or so. I have very few books from this era.

Attachments
592760-OutOfNight_7_8_1953.jpg (353 downloads)
Description:

Edited by bounty_coder (09/09/04 01:41 PM)

#550764 - 09/09/04 02:02 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: precodekeith]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: USA
I think L.B. Cole covers typically sell for about guide now, when they were multiples of guide during the pre-code mania a few years ago. Things were out of control during that time for books such as Cole covers and Atlas 50's hero books. The prices were many multiples of guide and people were scrambling for the books. I think the market has cooled a bit for Cole books, or at least back to normal with guide prices reflecting reality, but other pre-code horror books are still undervalued in the guide.

#550765 - 09/09/04 02:04 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: precodekeith]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Those are some nice ACG books with vibrant colors... definitely pre-code... you don't see that evil white stamp anywhere, do you?

#550766 - 09/09/04 02:10 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
goldust40 Offline

Captain Red Pants!!! AGAIN!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: London, England
As far as the icon pre-code books are concerned you're still going to pay well over guide (close to double) for copies in solid VG and above - but not multiples. What has happened is that collectors have noticed that most of these books are not super-scarce, with one or two exceptions (Mister Mystery 12 springs to mind). As for the common pre-code issues / titles, prices are indeed softer than they were.

#550767 - 09/09/04 02:37 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: precodekeith]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

There are some scarce pre-code horror books, but I think it's also easy to confuse "scarcity" with "they are being held in collections". For instance, why can I find almost every issue of Mister Mystery for sale except for #12? Was it under-printed, or are they simply in collections? If that is the case, why isn't someone looking to sell when they know that they can get double guide for it? Are they waiting for guide to catch up?

That book is absolutely difficult to find. My copy (the icon I use in my identity on the boards) is only Good, pretty worn complete with no pieces missing, but it's still going to be hard to upgrade.

Edited by paull (09/09/04 02:50 PM)

#550768 - 09/09/04 02:53 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
Happy Birthday PovertyRow Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco
There are some scarce pre-code horror books, but I think it's also easy to confuse "scarcity" with "they are being held in collections". For instance, why can I find almost every issue of Mister Mystery for sale except for #12? Was it under-printed, or are they simply in collections? If that is the case, why isn't someone looking to sell when they know that they can get double guide for it? Are they waiting for guide to catch up?

I had a hellish time finding my favorite MM cover - #13. Took me a couple of years of steady searching and ended up buying a CGC 5.5 Fine- (I have since unslabbed it). I always liked MM13 better than all the others, even though 11 and 12 are definitetly more horrific. Just something about the look in the eyes.

#550769 - 09/09/04 02:54 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
bounty_coder Offline

Quote:

Those are some nice ACG books with vibrant colors... definitely pre-code... you don't see that evil white stamp anywhere, do you?

What evil white stamp are you referring to my friend? Pardon my Naiveness!

Hey for any of you who hav'nt yet visited the Skywald, Eerie Publications and Stanley Magazine thread in the magazines forum, please visit, that thread contains many over the top covers that mimic many early precode books as well as reprint their stories:

Skywald, Eerie Publications, Stanley Magazines Oh MY! Magazine Thread

#550770 - 09/09/04 03:09 PM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: bounty_coder]
Happy Birthday PovertyRow Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco
What evil white stamp are you referring to my friend? Pardon my Naiveness!

The white stamp at thwe top right on the cover coming out in mid 1955 announcing the comic was approved by the Comics Code Authority (CCA). See pre-code (top) and post-code (bottom) images of Journey Into Mystery.

Page 4 of 1015 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
WTB: 2009 Ultra High Relief Gold Eagle
by Proudtoown
09:34 PM
FS: NGC MS64BN Civil war token.
by agentjim007
03:39 PM
1 cent Morgans also halves and quarters!
by AstroTrain
03:21 PM
Today GreatCollections - Capuano Registry Set, Rare Gold, 1995-W $1
by ianrussell
10:51 AM
Comics Marketplace
DC Comics Presents 26 and New Mutants 98 FS
by bubbagump
11:25 PM
WTB TMNT original art
by Miamiknight3434
11:11 PM
Strange Tales 115 Raw VG
by jaybuck43
10:45 PM
New Mutants 98 CGC 9.8, McFarlane ASM, X-Factor 6, Wolverine, more CGC Books
by Red84
10:28 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.049 seconds in which 0.032 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles