Page 3 of 1015 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#550751 - 09/09/04 12:43 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: shrunkenhead]
shrunkenhead Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Scorched Earth/Texas
Oh, and yep, I've got the TTTT set, although at the time I didn't know you could get it for $25 in one shot and instead put the set together myself at about $50. Ah well, one could blow money in worse ways! Great set to own. I saw an ad once for another reprint title called Extinct...anybody know about that one? I've yet to track it down.

#550752 - 09/09/04 12:45 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
rjpb Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Socal
I don't actively look for Ajax/Farrell books (except for Fantastic Fears #6 - which I never see), but it has seemed that they are more likely than some other pre-code publishers to be low grade based on my casual obsevance.

As for my own collecting preferences, I used to pick up higher grade pre-code books now and then, if they were the first copy I found, back when they were still pretty cheap, but these days when I buy them they're usually in the 2.0 to 5.0 range. If I own a GA or Atom Age book in 4.0 or better, I don't feel any urge to upgrade, and I can't resist lower grade when the price is right.

#550753 - 09/09/04 01:07 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: rjpb]
shrunkenhead Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: The Scorched Earth/Texas
I typically look for GA in the 6.0-8.0 range, although I'll go in for a VG if it's a classic cover or key. Higher than an 8.0 is getting too damn expensive, but there are such wonderful deals to be had in the mid-grade zone. I've picked up a few mid grade CGC copies at under guide prices (pre code horror under guide!?!) on ebay, thanks to the 9.4 craze. Once people start to snap out of their stupor and realize that you can't find certain books anywhere in anything higher than a F/VF, I expect prices to shoot up again.

#550754 - 09/09/04 01:48 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
Bonds25 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:

The first book is Haunted Thrills #5 with what I consider to be a classic skull cover. I love this one...

Great cover - I'd never seen it before!

#550755 - 09/09/04 04:40 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: *paull*]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
Great covers, I've never seen any of these before.

#550756 - 09/09/04 09:00 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: PovertyRow]
Shield Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Worthington, Ohio
Quote:

You may want to post them, though, in the Have A Cigar - Golden Age Only thread here. It is locked at the top and your sweet books will be seen for as long as you keep the links up!

*Sigh* Good 'ol POV...the consummate hall monitor!

#550757 - 09/09/04 10:37 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: shrunkenhead]
PovertyRow Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco
Quote:

Oh, and yep, I've got the TTTT set, although at the time I didn't know you could get it for $25 in one shot and instead put the set together myself at about $50. Ah well, one could blow money in worse ways! Great set to own. I saw an ad once for another reprint title called Extinct...anybody know about that one? I've yet to track it down.

Extinct is put out by the Tles Too Terrible To Tell folk: New England Comics.

Go to the link below. To the right you'll see a list of topics. Select NEC DARK (Right below Tales To Terible to Tell). Extinct will be there. Also, check Tales Too Terrible To Tell because they have a couple of issues of My Terrible Romance listed. pre-code Romance similar to TTTTT. Also, in the NEC DARK, check out the Anti-Hitler and Buried Terror listings.

NEC Cool Stuff

I'm gonna be ordering Extinct, Anti-Hitler and Buried Terror. Have the My Terrible Romance and it is great.

#550758 - 09/09/04 10:40 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: shrunkenhead]
precodekeith Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Ohio - The Horror of it All
Quote:

I've picked up a few mid grade CGC copies at under guide prices (pre code horror under guide!?!) on ebay, thanks to the 9.4 craze.

Yeah, in the latest issue of my fanzine I note in the market report how there are many great pre-code horror deals right now. In part due, in my opinion, to the recent frenzy in the BA horror area, especially HG DC material. Also, I hope it is somewhat of a "market correction", coming down from the balloon-inflation pre-code craze of the mid-late 1990's. Let's pray this continues to last!!!

#550759 - 09/09/04 10:48 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: precodekeith]
PovertyRow Offline

EXPECIALLY NEWBISH

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Perv Toy Row, San Francisco
Quote:

Quote:

I've picked up a few mid grade CGC copies at under guide prices (pre code horror under guide!?!) on ebay, thanks to the 9.4 craze.

Yeah, in the latest issue of my fanzine I note in the market report how there are many great pre-code horror deals right now. In part due, in my opinion, to the recent frenzy in the BA horror area, especially HG DC material. Also, I hope it is somewhat of a "market correction", coming down from the balloon-inflation pre-code craze of the mid-late 1990's. Let's pray this continues to last!!!

Amewn to that! At the last Wondercon the prices were too high - even for lower grade Atlas! The dealers at shows better start getting in line with the real world!

#550760 - 09/09/04 11:30 AM Re: Recent Pre-Code Purchases [Re: precodekeith]
drbanner Offline

I think all the people repeatedly crying about not getting a custom title should be inducted into the "Crybaby Crew", and forever carry that as their custom title!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
Quote:

Quote:

Are the actual prices of pre-code books coming down, or is it just that the guide has finally caught up with the market, and you no longer have to pay "multiples"?

The only pre-code horror I collect (for now!) are LB Cole covers, and they have come down a bit in cost over the last 5 years, so I'm just wondering if the same is true for EC's, etc.,.

Page 3 of 1015 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  plitch, Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
The Art and Science of Grading Coins - by Jason Poe
by physics-fan3.14
12:56 PM
FS: Several Morgans and 1835 Half Dime - Free Shipping
by A.Phillips
12/18/14 06:51 PM
FS: Canada 1936 $ NGC MS64 @ Christmas Gift price. SOLD
by agentjim007
12/18/14 05:39 PM
Any Macau / Japan paper money for sale?
by Beebeepan
12/18/14 03:27 AM
Comics Marketplace
Aliens #3 CGC 9.8, #4 CGC 9.6, AvP CGC 9.6, Fantastic Four #72 CGC 9.2 + more
by loboagain
10:51 PM
Sunfire & Big Hero Six 1-3 Consecutive Certification Number Set in CGC 9.8
by JOEY GUNZ
09:37 PM
9.8 Chew #1 blue lable
by buuduh
08:46 PM
Low grade keys! Hulk 181, Daredevil 1, and more!
by buuduh
08:41 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.38 seconds in which 0.368 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing Aspen Titles