• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

I have 67 pages left to complete A clash of Kings.

I'm just shy of halfway through A Dance with Dragons.

I think I'll be slowing down on the series as I want to read a book my 14yr old son recommended to me The pillars of Earth.

Don't worry, A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons will slow you down...

Heard they're making this into a movie so started reading "Replay"(1987) by Ken Grimwood. It's looking a lot better than "Cloud Atlas" which is also being made into a movie, but I found the book pretty bad. The previous book I read was "A Spot of Bother" which was OK, but not nearly as good as the author Mark Haddon's earlier book "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time"(2004). If you've read that then you might like "The Wasp Factory"(1985) by Iain Banks, which I really enjoyed its twisted humor. And if you haven't read it, one of the best books you'll read is the "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel that I enjoyed as much as "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and almost as much as Rand's "Atlas Shrugged", "...Pi" is also becoming a movie being released at the end of this year.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

I think I'll be slowing down on the series as I want to read a book my 14yr old son recommended to me The pillars of Earth.

Everyone says Pillars of the Earth is great. I may start that after I finish up the Martin series.

Just finished Feast for Crows yesterday. Took me a little longer than the other ones. It was a little slower read, but it finished very strong. Starting Dance with Dragons tonight! :banana:

Dude dude dude dude dude dude dude dude ... Pillars of the Earth is one of the all-time great books! It's the kinda book you wish would never end. Are you at all familiar with Ken Follett? He's got some great thrillers/spy novels too, but Pillars is his masterpiece.

Edited by Speedy-D

OK, I just wrapped up Hunger Games and am now about a quarter of the way into Ender's Game.

Two thoughts: 1) I am really enjoying both books and 2) Teen lit shouldn't be looked down upon.

Ender's Game is really good for teen lit (although I guess I read it as a teen ... maybe it wouldn't hold up quite as well now I'm pushing 40). The sequel Speaker for the Dead wasn't as good. I haven't tried any of the subsequent books, probably never will.

I'm reading The French Lieutenant's Woman. It's by John Fowles, who wrote a really twisted book called The Collector that I read forever ago, about a guy who kidnaps a young girl and keeps her in his basement. It does not go well.

I'm reading The French Lieutenant's Woman. It's by John Fowles, who wrote a really twisted book called The Collector that I read forever ago, about a guy who kidnaps a young girl and keeps her in his basement. It does not go well.

Yeah, The Collector is a creepy book.

I'm reading "Seize the Night" by Dean Koontz. Again. I've been the model of patience waiting for him to write the 3rd Christopher Snow book. But if he doesn't soon I'm going to kidnap his dog.

On deck: "The King Of Plagues", the 3rd Joe Ledger novel by Jonathan Maberry. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything he has written. The Pine Deep Trilogy is something I guarantee fans of the supernatural will love.