• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
18 18

3,735 posts in this topic

If I'm going to pay $400-$500 for a second print, I may as well just put that money aside and hunt a 1st print. You might pay three times as much, but you're getting so much more in terms of history and rarity.

Edited by Sa'm al Ghul

Someone paid $400 for a 2nd print, cgc 9.6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-6-2nd-Print-Mirage-Studios-1984-TMNT-/250965127809?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a6eaff281#ht_1478wt_1255

Any clues to why someone did that - is it really worth that much?

That was my book that I sold. The same ebay seller that selling a TMNT #1 2nd Print CGC 9.8 for $ 10,000 bought the book and now has listed it for $1000.

If I'm going to pay $400-$500 for a second print, I may as well just put that money aside and hunt a 1st print. You might pay three times as much, but you're getting so much more in terms of history and rarity.

+1

Someone paid $400 for a 2nd print, cgc 9.6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-CGC-9-6-2nd-Print-Mirage-Studios-1984-TMNT-/250965127809?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a6eaff281#ht_1478wt_1255

Any clues to why someone did that - is it really worth that much?

That was my book that I sold. The same ebay seller that selling a TMNT #1 2nd Print CGC 9.8 for $ 10,000 bought the book and now has listed it for $1000.

Interesting to know it was Keegan Conrad (Comics to Astonish).

He probably bought both copies mentioned, since he has 2 2nd print CGC 9.6's listed on his website.

Like I said before about him, his prices are crazy high for high grade and low census CGC stuff. But he actually has some good low grade stuff at cons.

+1

Bingo! That's why I sold my 2nd print.

Dunno, seems a bit steep. Would rather put the dough into a first print but, hey, that's me.

2nd print? laughing.gif

The seller is Keegan from Comics to Astonish in Maryland. He's actually a good dealer to buy from if you're looking for low to mid-grade books. He often has nice books for $5, $10, and $20 at shows.

However, anything high grade, CGC'd with a low census count, or an expensive key (like a low grade X-Men #1) he charges through the roof. He totally knows that people over pay for books in these categories and will sit on books for awhile hoping to make a big sale.

Needless to say, I've bought a bunch of low & mid-grade books from him, but never anything described in the 2nd paragraph.

What do you guys think the 2nd print CGC 9.8 is worth? I don't have GPA, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sold in an auction in the $1,000 range. The Peter Laird high grade copies have been selling between $200 & $300 on eBay raw. So I could see the bump up to $1,000 for a CGC 9.8, but I'd be surprised if it sold higher. 2c

Are the raw 2ed prints really selling for 300!?

Kind of.

The raw copies I was refering to were being sold by a Mirage Studios eBay store. Not just random copies.

They had a lot of them, but they sold them 1 at a time. Each time being an auction, with several weeks inbetween auctions. Most of the time they approached the $300 mark.

But they were Peter Laird "file" copies, in high grade, with a certificate, and you had the option to have Laird sign it before it was shipped to you.

Kind of.

The raw copies I was refering to were being sold by a Mirage Studios eBay store. Not just random copies.

They had a lot of them, but they sold them 1 at a time. Each time being an auction, with several weeks inbetween auctions. Most of the time they approached the $300 mark.

But they were Peter Laird "file" copies, in high grade, with a certificate, and you had the option to have Laird sign it before it was shipped to you.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Did anyone grade one of these to see what it graded out at? Not sure if high grade is 8.5 or 9.4 :)

Cheers,

Troy

Many of the copies sold appeared to be 9.4 or better. They provide pretty large front and back scans and the packaging is great. The "high grade" #3 variant I got from them graded out as a 9.8.

Many of the copies sold appeared to be 9.4 or better. They provide pretty large front and back scans and the packaging is great. The "high grade" #3 variant I got from them graded out as a 9.8.

Nice to hear you got a 9.8 from them. I know whos auctions I need to start watching now... ;)

Hi, guys. I'm "window shopping" right now for my next major purchase.

I'm looking at either X-men 1 or Ninja Turtles 1 first print. Both were childhood fantasy comics, and TMNT 1 is the one that got away.

For the TMNT I'd probably be looking for somewhere in the 8.5 range. If any of you have any helpful advice I greatly appreciate it.

That's right! I forgot about that video! It WAS a TMNT #1 that someone submitted and then claimed PGX had swapped for a reprint.

video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ4VwFHSp4

But seriously, even after doing a ton of research into the different fakes out there, I still bought a CGC copy when I bought mine just to be safe.

That's right! I forgot about that video! It WAS a TMNT #1 that someone submitted and then claimed PGX had swapped for a reprint.

But seriously, even after doing a ton of research into the different fakes out there, I still bought a CGC copy when I bought mine just to be safe.

OMG I would be on a plane kicking their door open! :mad:

I'm not sure CGC is even 100% accurate when identifying TMNT 1st prints.

Take a look at this one... it's clearly a 3rd printing from the colors on the front cover.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-TMNT-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-1-1st-Print-CGC-9-0-VF-NM-White-Pages-/360437669303?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53ebc25db7

OMG I would be on a plane kicking their door open! :mad: