• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to window-bag your books for SS (with photos!)
9 9

139 posts in this topic

Nice thread.

I disagree with you regarding the tape however. I prefer to use a sharpie marker to outline the windows. Lots of times sticky tape residue of some sort gets on something... either a book will get stuck to another book or the tape will peel up at the bottom.

I guess this works if you just have a small laptop bag and 5-15 books to get signed.

If you have alot of books in a long box this could become an issue.

I am also a big fan of your optional Step 8. and using a flap (board) to cover the front of your comic. I like to write the names of who I need to have sign on that front board then cross them off as I get them done.

I am NOT a fan of keeping your books in an additional outer bag while at the signing events.(This can REALLY slow the line down and Complicate things.)I prefer to just have some extra bags and boards and once all the signing is done re-bag.

But hey there is definitely an art to it. Thanks for making a great thread and I hope you dont mind me adding my 2c:)

Be aware that the sharpie marker instead of tape has resulted in instances of bleed through of certain bags which then affects(stains) the book. While it may take the perfect storm of condition to create this issue, I prefer the tape method.

Nice thread.

I disagree with you regarding the tape however. I prefer to use a sharpie marker to outline the windows. Lots of times sticky tape residue of some sort gets on something... either a book will get stuck to another book or the tape will peel up at the bottom.

I guess this works if you just have a small laptop bag and 5-15 books to get signed.

If you have alot of books in a long box this could become an issue.

I am also a big fan of your optional Step 8. and using a flap (board) to cover the front of your comic. I like to write the names of who I need to have sign on that front board then cross them off as I get them done.

I am NOT a fan of keeping your books in an additional outer bag while at the signing events.(This can REALLY slow the line down and Complicate things.)I prefer to just have some extra bags and boards and once all the signing is done re-bag.

But hey there is definitely an art to it. Thanks for making a great thread and I hope you dont mind me adding my 2c:)

The main reason I prefer tape over a marker outline is that the tape is a lot more visible - I've personally never had any problems with residue from the tape, but I guess it's all dependent on which kind of tape you use. I have, however, seen the marker staining that Andrew also mentioned.

Thanks for chiming in :thumbsup:

If you use good masking tape, there is no danger of any residue unless you cut the tape itself (which I have done a number of times.) Taking care not to cut the tape will eliminate the possibility. I co-opted Michael's techniques immediately upon seeing them in action at one of the Chicago cons in 2008 or 2009 and they work flawlessly. I also have started using the flap to much success.

Other than serving as an outline to where you cut the bag, is there any purpose to the tape? Is it to point the talent to where they should sign?

Also, what appears to be used in Mike's photos is painter's tape. This is important because it is far less likely to stick to something in a damaging way.

Other than serving as an outline to where you cut the bag, is there any purpose to the tape? Is it to point the talent to where they should sign?

Yes. Although I did have someone ask me one time if he was supposed to sign "on the blue tape." In his defense, he was at least 70, but I still lol'd.

Also, what appears to be used in Mike's photos is painter's tape. This is important because it is far less likely to stick to something in a damaging way.

Awesome insight. Along the same lines, avoid doublebacked tape.

Good catch, Mike - it is indeed the blue painter's tape (the safe-release kind).