Page 5 of 185 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#5505751 - 03/07/12 10:00 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: genrlzod]
WiseGuyX Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Texas
Last years save with Pujols was a fluke...Rangers win all this year!!!

#5506225 - 03/08/12 12:03 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: Bronzed Jbone]
NamesJay Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Tampa, FL
 Originally Posted By: Bronzed Jbone
 Originally Posted By: NamesJay

The best player in the past 30 years will have that effect.

Who was better 31 years ago?

I'm 37 and started watching baseball around 6-7 years old. I find it difficult to make comparisons to players I didn't personally see play.

#5506526 - 03/08/12 07:54 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: genrlzod]
Ariamus Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3rd Rock From the Sun
 Originally Posted By: genrlzod
 Originally Posted By: arexcrooke
 Originally Posted By: genrlzod
 Originally Posted By: Bronzed Jbone
 Originally Posted By: NamesJay

The best player in the past 30 years will have that effect.

Who was better 31 years ago?

Mike Schmidt.

My favorite player ever. Ive got a pretty nice run of his cards too.
I think overall Schmidt was a better player. Offensively I think Pujols is better.

On a side note, me and my assistant coach were talking the other day. And the I said something like, well, 30 years ago blah blah blah. I was thinking back to the 60's. 30 years ago was 1982
Its funny how that happens.

I not quite to the point where 30 years ago is the 60s (I'm only 39) but I do work with a lot of people in their late 20s and early 30s so I do have a bit of a disconnect at times. When people don't know what a mimeograph machine is you know you are getting old.

As for Schmidt I agree with you, Pujols is a better hitter just look at his average, but Schmidt was great at defense, and 10 golden gloves proves that.

Pujols is no slouch defensively; he's won gold gloves too. Sure, Schmidt played a defensively more demanding position. But to say the gap in his favor when comparing the two defensively is equal to or greater than the gap to his detriment when comparing them offensively is unfair to Pujols.

Pujols' career batting average is 60 points higher than Schmidt's. His career OPS is 100 points higher. In the next couple of years, Pujols will obliterate all of Schmidt's career totals in the big offensive statistical categories. And when's he's done that, he'll still only be 35.

Look, I love Schmidt and think he's the greatest third-baseman of all time. But simply put, Albert Pujols is the best overall baseball player since the golden age of Mantle, Aaron, and Mays in their primes...

#5506530 - 03/08/12 07:56 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: Ariamus]
Ariamus Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: 3rd Rock From the Sun
 Originally Posted By: Ariamus
...But simply put, Albert Pujols is the best overall baseball player since the golden age of Mantle, Aaron, and Mays in their primes...

BTW, Junior Griffey eclipses Schmidt as well.

#5506573 - 03/08/12 08:38 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: shirohniichan]
J3_Dog Offline
The Collectinator

I am going to be selling off a few bb cards for a nephew of mine. He is having some pretty major health issues. His wife brougt some by yesterday and is going to be bringing some others by in the next few weeks. I will try to post them on here as I get them. I know hardly anything about bb cards as I am more into coins.
Just thought I would let you all know so you can add this thread. I will try and get a few scanned later today if I have time. Ok Thanks Jim

#5506588 - 03/08/12 08:49 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: J3_Dog]
Jeffro™ Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Beta III
 Originally Posted By: J3_Dog
I am going to be selling off a few bb cards for a nephew of mine. He is having some pretty major health issues. His wife brougt some by yesterday and is going to be bringing some others by in the next few weeks. I will try to post them on here as I get them. I know hardly anything about bb cards as I am more into coins.
Just thought I would let you all know so you can add this thread. I will try and get a few scanned later today if I have time. Ok Thanks Jim

You can't try to sell them in this thread.
There is a whole forum for selling of comic books. I don't know about sports cards.

Jeffro
Jeffro™
Jerkfro
Modfro
Cracker

Sophie, Sophie again Jael

#5506682 - 03/08/12 09:53 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: Ariamus]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
Pujols is no slouch defensively; he's won gold gloves too. Sure, Schmidt played a defensively more demanding position. But to say the gap in his favor when comparing the two defensively is equal to or greater than the gap to his detriment when comparing them offensively is unfair to Pujols.

There`s a world of difference between 1B and 3B. Pujols (or any first baseman) would look absolutely hapless at 3B.

Quote:
Pujols' career batting average is 60 points higher than Schmidt's. His career OPS is 100 points higher. In the next couple of years, Pujols will obliterate all of Schmidt's career totals in the big offensive statistical categories. And when's he's done that, he'll still only be 35.

Different eras. Schmidt played in a much more challenging era for hitters--cavernous ballparks, and before expansion diluted pitching to comic levels and of course no juice. Think about the fact that no one hit 50 HRs in a season between George Foster and Cecil Fielder, and 100 RBIs was a real achievement.

Quote:
Look, I love Schmidt and think he's the greatest third-baseman of all time. But simply put, Albert Pujols is the best overall baseball player since the golden age of Mantle, Aaron, and Mays in their primes...

I think Pujols is great too and the best player of his generation, but no way would he have put up the same kinds of numbers if he played back then.

#5506943 - 03/08/12 11:27 AM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: tth2]
shadroch Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jet Blue Flight 711
Between Willie Mays in 1965 and Cecil Fielder in 1991(?) there was only the one 50 homerun season. The League Leader many years didn't crack forty, and Graig Nettles lead the AL one season with a whopping 32.
I believeThurmon Munson was the only player in a generation to hit .300 and drive in 100 runs three years in a row.
You can't compare stats between the 70s and the juice era.
What you can compare is how a player ranked amongst his peers in any particular era. Pujols certainly holds up well in those comparisons.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of its master.

It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves under the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who gives the protestor the right to burn the flag.
~Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

#5507105 - 03/08/12 12:27 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: tth2]
drice6900 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Still a Rush-free Utopia
 Originally Posted By: tth2

There`s a world of difference between 1B and 3B. Pujols (or any first baseman) would look absolutely hapless at 3B.

We will find out this year in Detroit, with Cabrerra moving from 1st to 3rd to make room for Fielder. \(thumbs u

"Fine - as soon as I finish this chapter of Tolkien! I always was a sucker for far-out fantasy!" - Captain America (Avengers Vol. 1, #46)

�I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.� - B.B. esq

#5507115 - 03/08/12 12:29 PM Re: The Official 2012 MLB Thread [Re: drice6900]
shadroch Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Jet Blue Flight 711
Was Cabrerra any good at First Base? I didn't see enough Tigers games to judge.
Wasn't he supposed to play third base when they first got him? I seem to recall Inge being pissed he lost his starting position.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of its master.

It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves under the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who gives the protestor the right to burn the flag.
~Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Page 5 of 185 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, ngcmod, Architecht, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod5, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
A Lovely High Grade 1771 Pillar 8 Reales
by fred13
11/23/14 09:15 PM
GreatCollections - Today - 1000s of Listings - Fast Shipping - Lowest Fees
by ianrussell
11/23/14 05:50 PM
Gold and Silver Certificate for Sale
by Ugakoivet
11/23/14 08:01 AM
WTB; PCGS/NGC Mercury dimes 1929 PDS through 1945 PDS
by cucamongacoin
11/23/14 02:17 AM
Comics Marketplace
Strange Tales 110 CGC 5.5
by ComicsAndCode
11/24/14 12:55 AM
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #29 LA MOLE EDITION CGC SS 9.8
by Wall-Crawler
11/23/14 11:44 PM
Daredevil lot, Marvel Lot, Batman lot.....
by Shadow Images
11/23/14 11:23 PM
For sell - Hellblazer #1 9.2, Scalped #1 9.6, Preacher #2 9.8, Preacher #13 9.4
by SquareChaos
11/23/14 11:12 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.