• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

We're less than a month away, so might as well start the discussion now. :D

I was thinking about what kind of numbers this book will do. It's been heavily hyped and highly anticipated, so I don't think it's going to take anyone by surprise like a Chew or a NonPlayer. The only Image comic from recent years that I can recall being as anticipated by fans was Kirkman/McFarlane on Haunt back in 2009. Haunt #1 ended up being in the top 30 books for the month with just over 50K sold.

Let's set the over/under for SAGA at 60K.

Any predictions?

Edited by MadGenius

Haunt was very different, as that had the McFarlane tie-in.

I can't see initial orders being more than say 30-35K. Not a great book for investment, but should ride a long $10 plateau, so there is definitely money to be made. I have it one of my mid-range books, I'm pre-ordering just 10. Many books I take chances on I try to hit that 15 to 20 copy range. This won't be over-ordered, I still think it's a sell-out first weekend it's released, straight to a second print.

Jay

horrible speculation comic but great reading comic.

I think I agree with you about this being a bad comic to speculate on...in the short term. Even if it does 50-60K, it will be under ordered considering what it is. The advanced reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, so I think it's a book people will be interested in long term.

I can't see initial orders being more than say 30-35K. Not a great book for investment, but should ride a long $10 plateau, so there is definitely money to be made. I have it one of my mid-range books, I'm pre-ordering just 10. Many books I take chances on I try to hit that 15 to 20 copy range. This won't be over-ordered, I still think it's a sell-out first weekend it's released, straight to a second print.

Jay

BKV is a creator with a lot of appeal coming back to comics after a hiatus. McFarlane is arguably more popular, but Haunt was the best comparison I could come up with for an Image book. If it only does 35K, then I think it will be a sell out for sure.

Edited by MadGenius

Jay

Same. Except I'd go a bit lower on the estimate.

If Fatale just did 20K, I'd put this book around 25K-30K and I'd bet on it being a stronger book on the after-market than Fatale.

It has no chance of being YtLM in terms of $, but it's not going to be an Ex Machina either, IMO.

Edited by 400yrs

And I'm still betting we're 6 days away from release. :)

We have to be, right? I mean, why have BKV and Staples at the Image Expo only to have them say, "Buy our book in 2 1/2 weeks."

The release of the book was announced before the show was scheduled. It has been hyped as Image's next big book. I have to think there will be something.