• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q&A Comic Production Flaws
16 16

674 posts in this topic

If it's on the cover, it will hurt the grade. If it's on the interior, it doesn't seem to affect the grade.

That is, if we're talking about the pin holes from production. If you have a random hole that goes through all your pages, it will hurt the grade.

Apologies if this has been asked...

I have a couple of comics, namely low numbered Ultimate Spider-Man or Fathom 9 (chrome) where the card cover is cut short so the page edges are slightly showing. Is this classed as a production gremlin or does this affect the grade? hm

Thanks in advance for your comments

(thumbs u

Edited by Waylander

It's a production problem. I believe it gets a green label, iirc.

If you cut them apart you get a purple label.

It's called "Siamese Pages."

I know they used to put them in blue labels, but a few years ago CGC adopted the ideology that all significant production defects go into a green label.

I dunno if they do Siamese pages this way or not. I thought at the time they announced this it was going to affect everything production related.

If I had these pages trimmed...would this be considered restoration?

mm

I'm guessing "yes" if the trimming is detected. As DiceX mentioned if you cut the pages apart that would also earn a PLOD, but if the cut was not detected it would be a blue label I'm thinking. (shrug)

It looks like something with that shape notched out of it was laying on top of the book for a long time.

Yes, CGC will downgrade for it.

You might want to look into having the book pressed.

I have an Action Comics 288 where the bottom staple has not gone through quite a number of the pages.

I have checked these loosely fitting pages and they are devoid of any holes where the bottom staple should be. Yet the bottom staple is intact and holds together some of the pages as intended.

How is this caused ?

Also got an issue where part of the issue number is missing altogether because the cover wasn't printed long enough in width at the front.

The comic hasn't been trimmed as I've compared it against another copy of exactly the same issue number.

What is this and will CGC deduct for it?

14541923.jpg

A7ECC552.jpg

dull factory trim blade. nice to see that because you know the edge is real. don't think it'll count against the grade until you start getting into the upper 9 range.

:hi: Hey Dice I have a Double Cover production Flaw question. I have been seeing allot of Double Covers from the Silver Age that have a chunk torn out of the inner cover at the top Left edge that extends around to the back inner cover. I am sure it must be production related since I have seen so many like this, but I am not sure. Do you have any Ideal how or why this could happen? :gossip:

FF68dc.jpg

FF68dcb.jpg

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

hm Thanks for the reply Dice, do you know if the way comics were trimed changed any from the 60's to the 70's? Reason I ask is I have seen this problem on a bunch of Silver Age Double Cover books but never on any Bronze Age ones. It just seem strange to me that I have ran across so many that all have that tear in the same place the top Left corner and it always goes around to the back cover. ???