Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#5422968 - 02/04/12 08:55 AM Re: Convention Questions [Re: Menace]
chainnball Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Quoted in Lebowski's sig line!
 Originally Posted By: Menace
 Originally Posted By: Pirate
so witnesses are back, interesting.

Pretty sure he means CAW = certified authentication witness? Not 100% on what CAW stands for, but pretty sure the W = witness.

C = Caira's
A = A
W = Weirdo

What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

"They can all suck it. They're stupid!" Seanfingh 6/26/10

Check out my ebay store! http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/kriskel/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

#5461222 - 02/19/12 05:46 PM Re: Convention Questions [Re: chainnball]
TijuanaDagger Offline
Collector

Loc: Louisville, Ky
Do most "Con Sketches" happen before hand? Does an artist get contacted before a con for a commission, then brings it to the Con for the buyer to pick up by/with a CGC Witness. After reading some posts this seems to happen quite a bit. Is this the perferred way for most artists and/or just a way to make things easier to set up for all parties involved.

#5461240 - 02/19/12 05:54 PM Re: Convention Questions [Re: TijuanaDagger]
Greedo Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Louisiana
Not most, but some. Arranging before hand makes the process easier, but most big name artist just take requests at cons.

My CAF

#5461252 - 02/19/12 06:02 PM Re: Convention Questions [Re: TijuanaDagger]
littlebill Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: Winter Haven,Fl.
most sketches that are picked up at cons happen at cons.

you can contact an artist and then mail them blanks to be sketched and then have a cgc witness go with you at the con to pick the sketch or sketches up.

the at home sketches will often times be better simply because they have the time to put the extra work in.

anytime i get a sketch even at a con. i let the artist know there is no rush. i can pick it up at the end of the show if i need to. the last thing i want is the sketch rushed and or the book damaged. it seems to mean something to them as well when they know you want the best they have no matter how long it takes.

#5461696 - 02/19/12 09:14 PM Re: Convention Questions [Re: TijuanaDagger]
AndyBoBo Online   content
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Boston, MA
 Originally Posted By: TijuanaDagger
Do most "Con Sketches" happen before hand? Does an artist get contacted before a con for a commission, then brings it to the Con for the buyer to pick up by/with a CGC Witness. After reading some posts this seems to happen quite a bit. Is this the perferred way for most artists and/or just a way to make things easier to set up for all parties involved.

Personally, I prefer this as I like to plan ahead and definitely know what I am getting at the show. This way I know what I can get during the show. I have been trying to find time to get ready for Boston; I have contacted quite a few artists, many of which got right back to me. I currently have 3 artists working on 5 covers.

If you go this route, definitely find out when you need to get the books to them by. I had to order more blanks and the 3 I have, I guess, contracted with gave me definitive dates to work with.

I like this way as you can see what kind of sketches the particular artist turns out and it may help in narrowing your commission request. Say an artist turns out awesome masked characters; you want a female character. If you try to get it done prior, you can at least have some sort of expectation.

Also, some artists require a paypal deposit or payment in full and others prefer cash at the show so know that some really wont communicate about the particulars until they know you are serious by sending them the money.

Best of luck to you! This is my first year trying to go all out with sketches and I hope to have a great turnout at Boston!

Want List:
Hulk #1 VG (or better) well centered, w/ vibrant colors

Kudos l CAF

#5461697 - 02/19/12 09:15 PM Re: Convention Questions [Re: littlebill]

Originally Posted By: littlebill

anytime i get a sketch even at a con. i let the artist know there is no rush. i can pick it up at the end of the show if i need to. the last thing i want is the sketch rushed and or the book damaged. it seems to mean something to them as well when they know you want the best they have no matter how long it takes.

That's excellent advice! Thanks for posting that.

Want List:

Kudos l CAF

#5462103 - 02/20/12 12:26 AM Re: Convention Questions [Re: AndyBoBo]
TijuanaDagger Offline
Collector

Loc: Louisville, Ky
 Originally Posted By: AndyBoBo

Personally, I prefer this as I like to plan ahead and definitely know what I am getting at the show. This way I know what I can get during the show. I have been trying to find time to get ready for Boston; I have contacted quite a few artists, many of which got right back to me. I currently have 3 artists working on 5 covers.

If you go this route, definitely find out when you need to get the books to them by. I had to order more blanks and the 3 I have, I guess, contracted with gave me definitive dates to work with.

I like this way as you can see what kind of sketches the particular artist turns out and it may help in narrowing your commission request. Say an artist turns out awesome masked characters; you want a female character. If you try to get it done prior, you can at least have some sort of expectation.

Also, some artists require a paypal deposit or payment in full and others prefer cash at the show so know that some really wont communicate about the particulars until they know you are serious by sending them the money.

Best of luck to you! This is my first year trying to go all out with sketches and I hope to have a great turnout at Boston!

I hope to be able to do the same for C2E2. My window is rapidly closing but hopefully at least I may get myself added to some commission lists before the show even begins. This will be my first attempt at getting work done on books.

Does anyone know of some great artists that perfer this method and their websites/contact info?

#5462136 - 02/20/12 12:47 AM Re: Convention Questions [Re: TijuanaDagger]

Does anyone know of some great artists that perfer this method and their websites/contact info?

Go to the show's site. They should have links attached to the artists names that would direct you to their respective sites. Bigger name artists (well those that have their own books ongoing) will generally say if they are accepting commissions ahead of time; others might have a blog/comment section that they update; all have a contact email...

If no luck, throw some names out there, or PM, and I can take a look - might have a little bit of time tomorrow during work to play around.

Want List:

Kudos l CAF

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  SoylentBlue, Architecht, dena, Gemma, cgcmod2, cgcmod, cgcmod3, plitch, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Choice 1820/19 Large Cent PCGS VF35 CAC! Gorgeous 1877S Double Eagle & More!
by AnkurJ
Today at 08:14 PM
Toner sale
by AstroTrain
Today at 06:44 PM
FSH: 1882-S Morgan Dollar ICG MS-64 DMPL Obverse
by 123cents
Today at 01:00 AM
hobo nickel book and sutler token book for sale
by michael
Today at 12:35 AM
Comics Marketplace
75 cent Batman comics!!!!!
by manicnerd
50 minutes 32 seconds ago
SOME SCARCE TIMELY WONDER WOMAN RAW, LEADING a MORE FUN SENSATION
by skypinkblu
Today at 09:10 PM
Interesting DC summer sale of books. Cheap. Silver age.
by Grantley Goddard
Today at 08:34 PM
Action Comics #17 CGC 3.5
by quadman78
Today at 08:25 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles