• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Pogos / Walt Kelly Books!
5 5

387 posts in this topic

I searched back two years but couldn't find a thread devoted to Walt Kelly. He is an underappreciated master of the medium and his work is actually somewhat affordable. I picked up the little gem below at the California Comic Convention in Yorba Linda this morning. There was a decent selection of Pogo material at this show.

I hope others post some other Kelly masterpieces. His work at Dell was quite unique and you can't beat the covers.

120988.jpg.d897daf97f609b4098f47f75ffd572a4.jpg

Here's a few to start with - I could post a lot of books in this thread!

Another 'picture frame' Animal Comics:

Animal_comics_23.jpg

A belated Australia Day contribution from WDC&S:

wdcs_073.jpg

and Pogo's first appearance in the Four Color run:

FC105.jpg

And for those who haven't seen the first ever public appearance of our Possum:

first_pogo_animal_comics_1.jpg

Great thread!

Here's a few to start with - I could post a lot of books in this thread!

and Pogo's first appearance in the Four Color run:

FC105.jpg

ROWR-BAZZLE!

Is that your copy? Gorgeous.

Mine is ... let's be polite and call it "frangible."

My Pogo Possum 1 isn't embarrassing

Pogo1.jpg

Some earlier Kelly Four Colors while I'm at it

MotherGooseFC68.jpg

FC68-Back.jpg

FC90.jpg

and one of my favorites -- I'm 90% sure it's my own copy

4c179unclewiggily.jpg

I can find lots more but need to confirm that they're mine, not scavenged scans.

Jack

The Pogos and Animal comics also featured some great color gradation on the covers. I am not sure how they did that in those days of manual seperation. Today it's a snap on the computer but in the forties and fifties it wasn't so easy. It is one of the reasons these old Dells have such great eye appeal; they exude quality. Paper quality is usually also quite good, the only issues usually being the browning of interior cover pages on the books from the forties.

Dell Comics are Good Comics was more than a marketing line.

# 8 -

Fantastic cover.

What is that old man smoking, and did he just knock that old lady on her keister?

A local antique shop in town has some Kelly/Pogo OA, anybody want me to find out what it is? I remember seeing it, but forget exactly what it was.

# 8 -

Fantastic cover.

What is that old man smoking, and did he just knock that old lady on her keister?

A local antique shop in town has some Kelly/Pogo OA, anybody want me to find out what it is? I remember seeing it, but forget exactly what it was.

What a great series!

I have only Four Color #50, 87, 114, and FTP #7. I remember how disappointed I was that the Kelly covers didn't do better in the "greatest Golden Age covers" competition a few years ago. FTP 3, 4 6, 7, 8 are certainly deserving.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Kelly artwork if you get a chance.

Jack

# 8 -

Fantastic cover.

Sure, next time you go past. There have been quite a few Pogo daily and Sunday strips on the market in the last few years. I'm always tempted, but have resisted so far. Now if a cover from the Dell Pogo run was to come along, especially #11...

pogo11.jpg