• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How old are Comic Collectors?
4 4

How old are you?   

33 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

602 posts in this topic

41 but i have 4 kids, so when u figure in the 23 year marriage, the 10 cats and 2 dogs im 177 years old. :makepoint:

the math is simple multiply your age by number of kids, add years of marriage subtract 10 years for every dog and add a year for every cat. :preach:

41 but i have 4 kids, so when u figure in the 23 year marriage, the 10 cats and 2 dogs im 177 years old. :makepoint:

the math is simple multiply your age by number of kids, add years of marriage subtract 10 years for every dog and add a year for every cat. :preach:

:roflmao: So true.

43. Began collecting at age 9. My first comic con was 1978 at the Statler Sheraton in New York City. Back then, a comic convention was that: 100% pure dealer tables selling gold, silver and bronze age comics. No dabblers. No people walking around in costumes. Stopped collecting at 17 (the month before I went to college). Then resumed around 2002 or so when the Marvel superhero movies started coming out and I picked up an OSPG and was blown away at the price increases over the 15-year period while my collection was in "suspended animation."

Started buying comics in 1963. My first book purchased was Superman Annual 7. By 1965 my brother and I considered ourselves collectors. Ordered my first "collector" comics around 1967 from Grand Books Incorporated - they ran ads inside comic books of the day. I think I could have purchased ASM 1 for around $70 but instead spent almost that on a 10-15 issues or so starting around #20.

The new issue market - that is what you could buy on the comic racks - was certainly more "healthy" back then. Marvels were all the rage of course. But everyone also read Batman and Superman. Gold Key's were popular - both the Disney titles and their small group of hero titles. I even read Casper and Wendy.

Lots of Romance titles, lots of War titles, lots and lots of "kid" titles like Bugs Bunny and crew. Several titles back then sold close to a million copies a month. Now the publishers brag for weeks if they manage 1/5 of that. Most titles sell what - 40-50,000 copies a month?

I still remember going to the Barber shop next door to the Drug store looking for old issues. If I found something I wanted (I remember an ASM #4) I would buy a new comic next door and trade it.

Stopped collecting at age 16 when I discovered cars and girls. Conan 1 was one of the last comics I purchased. Started collecting again my Junior year of college when i discovered that comics had started attracting an intellectual following - Adams GL, Kirby's fourth world, ASM drug issues - and those Smith Conan's.

My brother and I also collected coins. When we left home (he married, me last year of college) he took the coin collection and I the comics. The coins have done well too - we both had paper routes and had amassed a nice run of coins.

I started being a part time dealer/collector in 1976 through the pages of Alan Light's "The Buyer's Guide" which is now Comic Buyer's Guide. That status - sometimes more dealer than collector, sometimes the other, has continued to this day.

Tony Starks

PS. At 77 Marty is still the oldest guy on the thread. I'm used to being the oldest guy at the comic shops. It's nice to be a youngster!

Edited by Tony S