• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are you Reading now ..... other than comics ?
7 7

1,854 posts in this topic

Finished David Copperfield last year, now reading Oliver Twist. Wanted to get into the classics.

I've read neither. I've been a poor Dickens reader. I've been thinking about him forever. Recently something John Ruskin wrote got me thinking about Hard Times. I'm envious of your book choice. I say read all of his books in chronological order by publication date. I doubt you'll regret a page of it & your bookshelf will thank you for it the rest of your days.

+1 I have a degree in English Lit and have never read a Dickens book cover to cover. It's sad and dumb on my part. I just can't get off George R.R. Martin right now. Some classics maybe in a couple of months. :wishluck:

Dickens is booooring. Not Faulkner boring, but boring none-the-less.

I too am hooked into the wonderful world of Westeros, courtesy of Martin, right now.

GRRM will start in about 4 - 5 weeks.

I'm thinking about going right into King's Dark Tower series & then the Stand right after GRRM.

The DT series was my favorite until I read A Game of Thrones. You have some very solid reading lined up. (thumbs u

Finally finished "My 'Dam Life" by Sean Condon and "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova about a week ago. Now concurrently reading "How to Start and Run a Commercial Art Gallery" by Edward Winkleman and "Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect" by Robert House.

"Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect" by Robert House.

No need to read that. It was an intricate conspiracy to hush down a potential royal bas- scandal. Jack was really a rogue Mason doctor. (thumbs u

"Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect" by Robert House.

No need to read that. It was an intricate conspiracy to hush down a potential royal bas- scandal. Jack was really a rogue Mason doctor. (thumbs u

Yeah, if Gene had read "From Hell" he would know that. :baiting:

My girlfriend bought me two books I've been looking forward to reading for some time: Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena and Tyran Grillo (the original Japanese sci-fi horror novel translated into English, not the PSOne game lol ) and Stone Spring by Stephen Baxter. But, she says I have to finish the two books I've been reading first before starting either.

I was reading the Bourne Ultimatum when I got my copy of George R.R. Martin's fifth A Song of Ice and Fire book, A Dance With Dragons. I put Bourne on hold to start Martin's book. Then I received the new Terry Goodkind book, The Omen Machine. So I put Martin on hold and tore through the Goodkind book in a week. I went back to A Dance With Dragons but kind of got stuck because

it's so much slower than any other the other books in the series.

So it's back to reading Bourne so I can then read Martin and get on to the two new books...

Finally finished "My 'Dam Life" by Sean Condon and "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova about a week ago. Now concurrently reading "How to Start and Run a Commercial Art Gallery" by Edward Winkleman and "Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect" by Robert House.

How did you like the Historian? I loved it but ended up getting bored about 2/3 into it.

I'm thinking about going right into King's Dark Tower series & then the Stand right after GRRM.

The DT series was my favorite until I read A Game of Thrones. You have some very solid reading lined up. (thumbs u

I've sat on the King sidelines since high school. I've been targeting these for a long time. I'm feelin it now.**

**OOCT.

I've sat on the King sidelines since high school. I've been targeting these for a long time. I'm feelin it now.**

**OOCT.

It doesn't count when you're pimping yourself out for the OOCT. :rulez:

How did you like the Historian? I loved it but ended up getting bored about 2/3 into it.

Agreed. That book was really interesting for a while but just went on and on and on and started repeating itslef. Too bad.

Agreed. That book was really interesting for a while but just went on and on and on and started repeating itslef. Too bad.

I thought it was just my 2 yr old attention span.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

That's my next book after I finish A Dance with Dragons. How are you liking it?

Pretty good so far. It's interesting to see how different some of the characters are compared to the TV versions.

Just finished A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson--the man is an incredibly funny American transplant writing from Britain. This book is about him walking the Appalachian Trail. Now reading SM Stirling's Tears of the Sun--a continuation of his series where electricity ceases to work, causing an apocalypse and returning the world to an age of magic. Great fun! Next up When Elves Attack by Tim Dorsey--Christmas-themed book starring Tim's nutjob, bipolar, trivia-spouting, SouthFlorida protagonist Serge A Storms and his drug-ravaged man-child Coleman. Go out right now and read everything he's ever written.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

That's my next book after I finish A Dance with Dragons. How are you liking it?

Pretty good so far. It's interesting to see how different some of the characters are compared to the TV versions.

I recently purchased Double Dexter, the newest novel. I have read all the others. I've watched the first four seasons of the show. It's very interesting to see the difference between the two mediums.