• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two-Gun Kid #60 - the forgotten key?
2 2

147 posts in this topic

Always wondered why this never gets attention as a significant Marvel Silver Age key - total reboot a la Rawhide Kid, Lee & Kirby origin story, scarce in grade...

No, I'm not pumping it up to sell a copy! Honest!

Just acquired a decent copy for myself after quite a few months of searching and this thought occurred to me. Is it because he was not only a second-stringer, but a Western second-stringer, or are people just not aware of the significance?

And has anyone ever seen a copy without the hand-written issue number? The hand-written version is supposed to be the scarcer variant, but it's the only version I ever come across!

Thoughts/no one cares? Wah.

It is one of my favorites, along with 61 and 62. I asked the queston bout the hand written 60 in the Western thread awhile back and I don't think anybody ever provided an example of an actual copy that wasn't handwritten except for one on the Marvel website, but it didn't look like an actual comic as opposed to a graphic of the cover.

I don't think anybody ever provided an example of an actual copy that wasn't handwritten except for one on the Marvel website, but it didn't look like an actual comic as opposed to a graphic of the cover.

I think that's one of those things that was put into the Guide ages ago that they've never bothered removing - sorta like Silver Surfer #4 being a low distribution copy when it wasn't.

I think the issue # is always hand-written.

Extremely tough book to find above a fine, and a Lee-Kirby Silver Age (1962) origin story make it a sought after but rarely seen key in grade.

Does anyone know the story behind the hand written #?

The story, as far as I've been able to deduce from years of investigative research, is that the issue number looks hand written because it was originally written by hand.

But that is where the trail gets cold...

The story, as far as I've been able to deduce from years of investigative research, is that the issue number looks hand written because it was originally written by hand.

I've not been able to finger the culprit but I'm hoping that my research will eventually yield thumbone that we can nail for it.

thanks for your years of research and thanks for shining a bright spotlight on

the inner workings of Atlas publishing doh!

thanks for your years of research and thanks for shining a bright spotlight on

the inner workings of Atlas publishing doh!

Until now it was a thankless job (thumbs u

Always wondered why this never gets attention as a significant Marvel Silver Age key - total reboot a la Rawhide Kid, Lee & Kirby origin story, scarce in grade...

Thoughts/no one cares?

I despise the issue for two reasons:

1. It may have been the first instance of a character being retconned out of existence from one issue to next! A terrible precedent as we now know.

2. I much preferred the original character. He was your classic gunslinger, while the fellow that replaced him was not only a runt but a tenderfoot from out East! Just all wrong!

:mad:

Edited by Hepcat

1. It may have been the first instance of a character being retconned out of existence from one issue to next! A terrible precedent as we now know.

I don't know whether the timeline might make a difference to your opinion but Two-Gun Kid was floundering in 1960. There was a large time gap between the publication of issue #59 and issue #60.

Two-Gun Kid #58 was published on October 27, 1960.

Two-Gun #59 was not published until January 31, 1961. It was cancelled that month to allow Amazing Adventures to go monthly with issue #2.

Two-Gun Kid #60 was published August 2, 1962 after a eighteen month hiatus. It replaced Amazing Fantasy.

In other words it was sacrificed for the entire run of Amazing Adventures/Amazing Adult Fantasy/Amazing Fantasy.

An an aside, Rawhide Kid was an earlier, somewhat similar, retcon. It was cancelled in the Atlas Implosion of April 1957. The title reappeared with issue #17 (April 1960) and a reinvented Rawhide Kid. The blond "Rawhide" or the "Kid", who was never named in the earlier issues, became Johnny Bart, avenger of his Uncle Ben's death and misunderstood outlaw. :mad:

avenger of his Uncle Ben's death and misunderstood outlaw. :mad:

Good grief! Did EVERYONE have an Uncle Ben?

Not only that, but Rawhide Kid got his amazing gunslinging powers after being nicked by a uranium tainted bullet.

An an aside, Rawhide Kid was an earlier, somewhat similar, retcon. It was cancelled in the Atlas Implosion of April 1957. The title reappeared with issue #17 (April 1960) and a reinvented Rawhide Kid. The blond "Rawhide" or the "Kid", who was never named in the earlier issues, became Johnny Bart, avenger of his Uncle Ben's death and misunderstood outlaw. :mad:

Can I therefore conclude that Kid Colt Outlaw was the only western hero with whose backstory Marvel did not tamper?

???