Page 6 of 41 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#5253941 - 11/25/11 02:57 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: MYNAMEISLEGION]
Kevin76 Offline
Pedigreed

Originally Posted By: MYNAMEISLEGION
 Originally Posted By: Weird Paper
 Originally Posted By: Kevin76
The first post's advice is terrible and clich'e.

Always "go for the gold".

Obtain artwork that the artist is famous for, then buy the best example you can.

Simple (example)

Todd Mcfarlane = Spider-Man
Neal Adams = Batman
Bernie Wrightson = Swamp Thing
Frank Miller = Daredevil

You get the idea. The buy the best shot of that character you can afford, If you can't afford a splash, go for a half splash or a great panel page with excellent shots of that character. (is he in every panel? Can you see his face? )

Yes it's expensive, But always buy quality and you can't go wrong. Who the inker is also matters. No one else should be inking Mcfarlane and no one else should be inking Jim Lee except Scott Williams. You get the idea.
When I see a post like this, I'm always curious about the poster's own collection. What about it? Link?

Yeah, this guy's a talker. I looked to see if he'd actually ever posted anything and found nada, just ridiculous comments about how he'd take a McFarlane Spidey cover over a Romita Spidey cover any day, McFarlane, this , McFarlane that, and he only buys one page of art every few years for 5-10K.

Noobs- you may disregard said advice.

Buy what you like... just like the advice that has been given here right? You found Nada becuase I don't post my stuff for a reason..I don't need your ooooo's and Ahhhhhh's

#5253956 - 11/25/11 03:40 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: Kevin76]
malvin Online   content
Chatzilla

Yeah, this guy's a talker. I looked to see if he'd actually ever posted anything and found nada, just ridiculous comments about how he'd take a McFarlane Spidey cover over a Romita Spidey cover any day, McFarlane, this , McFarlane that, and he only buys one page of art every few years for 5-10K.

Buy what you like... just like the advice that has been given here right? You found Nada becuase I don't post my stuff for a reason..I don't need your ooooo's and Ahhhhhh's

errr.. you seem to be contradicting yourself. It sounds like you don't buy what you like, which means you buy what others like that you don't like yourself? But you don't need ooo's and ahhhh's? That makes no sense.

Malvin

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=614

Art for Sale in my CAF Gallery

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=76440

And also check out my stuff on ebay - usually starting at 1 cent with no reserve - http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/merchant/emvee1

#5253985 - 11/25/11 06:44 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: malvin]
Kevin76 Offline
Pedigreed

Originally Posted By: malvin

errr.. you seem to be contradicting yourself. It sounds like you don't buy what you like, which means you buy what others like that you don't like yourself? But you don't need ooo's and ahhhh's? That makes no sense.

Malvin

What kind of name is Malvin anyway?

Besides, I do buy what I like, but what I like is what everyone else likes, which is also the $$$ stuff. Ya dig?

#5254065 - 11/25/11 09:16 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: Kevin76]
Weird Paper Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Deep in the Hot of Texas

Malvin

Besides, I do buy what I like, but what I like is what everyone else likes, which is also the $$$ stuff. Ya dig?
Put up or shut up. I'm pretty sure nobody frequenting this thread believes you actually have the goods to back up your "expertise."

#5254106 - 11/25/11 09:52 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: Weird Paper]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
I've had Kevin on ignore for years now simply because he tends to stir trouble with his posts.

The reason people say to buy what you love is so that value takes a second place to the actual appreciation of the art itself.

Buying for investment is never a sure thing. Buying what you love is.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5254621 - 11/25/11 03:30 PM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: VintageComics]
Weird Paper Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Deep in the Hot of Texas
 Originally Posted By: VintageComics
I've had Kevin on ignore for years now simply because he tends to stir trouble with his posts.

The reason people say to buy what you love is so that value takes a second place to the actual appreciation of the art itself.

Buying for investment is never a sure thing. Buying what you love is.

I just figured with all the talk, the guy must have a spectacular art collection. I always like looking at spectacular art. Though, honestly, I could take or leave both Frank Miller and McFarlane, so if that's what he's got (if he even has anything) I probably wouldn't click past the thumbnails.
I like the advice everyone is giving about buying what you like. I wouldn't argue with buying the best possible pieces by marquee artists on their most famous characters, but most collectors aren't millionaires. The only thing I would add, is to learn to recognize opportunities. Recently, a major art dealer posted for sale a page from an incredible hot penciller/inker for an absurdly low price. I emailed about it the second I saw it, but somebody else already snagged it (or he withdrew it realizing it was so underpriced). Whoever snagged it got a hell of a deal based on sales from last week on Heritage and Ebay. Sometimes stuff like that happens. Most of the best pieces in my collection were not targeted by me so much as they were available for the right price at the right time.

My CAF Gallery

#5254647 - 11/25/11 03:40 PM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: Weird Paper]
VintageComics Offline

You don't get one.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: I'm busy interneting.
I'm sure Kevin has a decent art collection as he had a spectacular Journey Into Mystery collection before got into art. He just has a "way with words" on here.

Originally Posted By: Weird Paper
The only thing I would add, is to learn to recognize opportunities. Recently, a major art dealer posted for sale a page from an incredible hot penciller/inker for an absurdly low price. I emailed about it the second I saw it, but somebody else already snagged it (or he withdrew it realizing it was so underpriced).

This is so true. I've missed out on some absolutely spectacular opportunities to pick up some A tier art pieces (Ditko Spider-man at a fraction of market value) and some personally special pieces (Everett Sub-mariner from Tales To Astonish) simply because I didn't realize what I was looking at was a steal.

By the time I realized it was time to dive in, I'd missed the opportunity.

"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." - Winston Churchill.

How to use the search function.

I'm so first, I'm last. - Me

#5255614 - 11/26/11 02:33 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: Kevin76]
malvin Online   content
Chatzilla

Malvin

You are still contradicting yourself. You mock people (and advice) to buy what you like, but you do it. But its OK if you do it as long as you buy what everyone else likes.. which can't be true, because everyone can't like the same thing.

Of course if you can't articulate your argument, you can always just make fun of the guys name...

Malvin

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=614

Art for Sale in my CAF Gallery

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=76440

And also check out my stuff on ebay - usually starting at 1 cent with no reserve - http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/merchant/emvee1

#5256354 - 11/26/11 05:22 PM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: malvin]
Kevin76 Offline
Pedigreed

Malvin

You are still contradicting yourself. You mock people (and advice) to buy what you like, but you do it. But its OK if you do it as long as you buy what everyone else likes.. which can't be true, because everyone can't like the same thing.

Of course if you can't articulate your argument, you can always just make fun of the guys name...

Malvin

You're not making any sense yourself. You're over analyzing what I'm trying to say.

You guys seem to have divided up the art of collecting art into 2 catagories. 1 being buy what you like and the 2nd buying for investment....What I'm trying to tell you ladies is, why can't you buy what you like as an investment...I'll never buy a piece of art,hang it on the wall, say that art looks terrible but I hope it'll pay for my retirement. Artists like Ditko,John Byrne and Romita simply bored me to tears. I'll always take a Mcfarlane Spider-Man over a Romita and I'll always take a Wrightson over a Ditko. I'm not say they are bad artists, they really have made a name for themselfs (Ditko seems to be a weirdo anyhow,him and Alan Moore should work on something together) They just don't give me a hard on when I look at thier artwork the way, Wrightson does...

#5257440 - 11/27/11 03:15 AM Re: New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips? [Re: SOTIcollector]
thethedew Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: Minnesota
Congrats to all on the Sticky status of the thread!
This thread is a great service to collectors new AND old!
\(worship\)
Andrew
Right now, #1 wants:

Micros #58pg13 : Micros #25pg31 See below for details:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=626663&GSub=78983
REWARD!

Page 6 of 41 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  cgcmod3, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod2, cgcmod, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FS or possible trade. 1909-S VDB NGC MS63RB
by agentjim007
Today at GreatCollections - NGC Franklins, Morgans, Rare Gold and More
by ianrussell
05:03 PM
FS/ maple leaf
by wheat'swheats
02:58 PM
WTB Franklin Proofs
by Dkillett2
08/30/14 09:30 PM
Comics Marketplace
HOLIDAY FUN, COME ON OVER!
by nochips
01:00 PM
Marvel Horror
by grider67
11:25 AM
Avengers CGC 9.8s - Byrne and Perez art
by grider67
10:49 AM
Early Walking Dead Page On Ebayy!
by krazykris7
10:02 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles IDW Publishing