• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

For you guys that keep wanting to charge me $10-13 to ship a single HG comic in a box.

These are the smaller and lighter weight priority boxes - you can ship 1-2 comics in them and get the box below 1 pound in weight for cheaper postage - $5.50 throughout the U.S.

There is plenty of room in them to adequately protect comics.

1097 Priority Boxes

I just ordered another crate of 25.

My P.O. does not stock them - I can only get them (for free) from usps.com

For you guys that keep wanting to charge me $10-13 to ship a single HG comic in a box.

These are the smaller and lighter weight priority boxes - you can ship 1-2 comics in them and get the box below 1 pound in weight for cheaper postage - $5.50 throughout the U.S.

1097 Priority Boxes

I have the same boxes but I'll only charge you $9.75. :idea:

I haven't seen this covered in here yet...What's the best way to ship bulk books...like two short boxes worth?

I would ship without the boards - 7-10 packed per single GA bag. You might get it down to one short box then. Pack an interior box tightly with books, then a cushion layer between the interior box and the exterior box.

I suggest removing the boards, as they are heavy, and bulky. And the heavier and bulkier your package is, the more likely it will be damaged in transit.

And if you're shipping within USA, UPS will probably be cheapest.

Wow, that is a lot of packaging but I think just bubble wrapping and the cardboards would be efficient. Also cost friendly. Albeit, I havent shipped tons of comic books but I haven't had any complains so far.
Having no complaints means nothing - it is whether you have repeat customers, as most don't complain, they just write you off and move on. The "never had a complaint before" is the first thing I hear when I do make a complaint.

I just saw a habitual 'ship in a priority envelope' seller here, who refused to own up to his crapppy shipping practices (complain to the USPS as it's not my fault) buy several slabs - I so wanted to post in the thread to make sure the seller ships them in a priority envelope. Just desserts, and Karma is a beotch.

I've been using bubble wrapped envelopes with a couple layers of cardboard on each side and I haven't had any problems. Something that I always do is to make sure that the cardboard is bigger than the books so that the edges are protected. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten books from eBay and the cardboard that some people use barely covers the book and the corners got all banged up.

The worst shipping experience that I had with eBay was with a mint copy of Transformers #80. The guy said easily a 9.6. So the book arrives in a flat rate envelope with no bag and board. I kid you not. The insufficiently_thoughtful_person dropped the book in the envelope and wished it the best of the luck. Of course the book was ruined by the time it arrived after the postal service decided to fold it in half and roll it into my mail box. I filed a Paypal dispute and got my money back thankfully.

I've been using bubble wrapped envelopes with a couple layers of cardboard on each side and I haven't had any problems.
That you know of......., tell me about your repeat customers...., :shrug:

Hey - wowza!

Got four packages in today - the bastiches coordinated their shipping to arrive on a night when I was gone (my 14 year old's soccer game), so my wife is :mad:

HOWSOMEVER..., the good news is, everyone packaged exactly like I would of - Kudos to capt_comics, Cimm and Ted Knight, who seem to understand that packaging is very, very important to the flawless delivery of high grade books! Super job guys!!!! :banana: and :headbang:

And if you're shipping within USA, UPS will probably be cheapest.

Don't think that's true any longer. I think rates for ground have more than doubled since 2003. UPS and FedEx ground were at least semicomparable to media mail for along box but earlier this year I shipped a long box UPS ground to TX and it would've been much faster and maybe even a touch cheaper by sending 5-6 flat rate PM boxes.

1097 Priority Boxes

I tried finding these as a shipping option online tonight, but they're showing as medium sized boxes now. Maybe the price changed? (shrug)

Course, I could be doing something wrong.

1097 Priority Boxes

I tried finding these as a shipping option online tonight, but they're showing as medium sized boxes now. Maybe the price changed? (shrug)

Course, I could be doing something wrong.

You're doing it wrong. Select "Priority" - it only works as cheap if it is under a certain weight, which varies by destination.

1097 Priority Boxes

This sounds great for shipping 1-2 less expensive books.

My question is how would you advise packing the comics in this box to keep the weight below one pound without putting the comics at risk of getting damaged (materials, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Also, thanks to everyone that has contributed to this great thread.