• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,840 posts in this topic

They did not find anything until they hit one older couple's sale and he asked the question "Do you have any comics"

This is where people drop the ball...they don't ask !

Yep thats the key. Alot of times people may not have the comics out. I was at a thrftsale a few weeks ago, and asked. They didn't have any, but a few other t-salers overheard me and told me they saw some at yet another sale.

I went there and got these for pretty cheap

4$

Image20-1.jpg

3$

Image21-1.jpg

and 50 cents :)

Image18-1.jpg

I went to an estate sale Saturday in the country and found these.

I bought this group first for 28.00. I knew the Carl Bark's Atom Bomb was scarce, so I didn't quibble about their asking price.

PromotionalComicsB.jpg

There were others I wanted, but I decided to wait until Sunday when all items were to be discounted by 50%. I went back, and the ones I wanted were still there so I got these.

John Wayne and Archie were 5.00 each. The Mickey was part of a group of 4 that were

now 16.00.

John Wayne has a nice Williamson/Frazetta on the cover.

PromotionalComicsA.jpg

The last group of four ( 3 plus the Mickey):

PromotionalComics.jpg

Then I browsed around and found some nice pinbacks for a dollar each. I especially liked the Clown "Comics Weekly Club" pin. The Dale Arden was a nice bonus too. It was dated 1934, the first year of Raymond's Flash Gordon. The Pep pin is Uncle Bim from the Gumps.

PromotionalcomicsC.jpg

All in all it was a nice variety.

Went to a City-Wide Garage Sale in Austin yesterday and found these...

Mark Bode' convention sketch from 1989. I edited it out as to not offend anyone.

MarkBode.jpg

Gil Kane sketch from a Houston comic convention that took place in 1980. I'm not sure who the character is. The second image is what's on the back of the sketch.

Oct2303.jpg

Oct2304.jpg

George Perez sketch probably from the same convention?

Oct2305.jpg

This is a Dave Stevens print and it's actually signed by him. :cloud9:

Oct2302.jpg

I picked this up too. A seemingly unused set of Batman Viewmaster reels featuring Catwoman

The same dealer had many TV show sets still in the original cellophane.

587b5e6a.jpg

Anybody old enough to remember Henry Fonda doing Viewmaster commercials? (and please don't say "who's Henry Fonda"?)

I picked this up too. A seemingly unused set of Batman Viewmaster reels featuring Catwoman

The same dealer had many TV show sets still in the original cellophane.

587b5e6a.jpg

Anybody old enough to remember Henry Fonda doing Viewmaster commercials? (and please don't say "who's Henry Fonda"?)

(shrug) didn't he invent the automobile?

:baiting:

I had some luck at a local discount bookshop earlier today.

It's a pretty big place filled with remainders & out of date hardcovers etc.. But, they also sell some unrelated crafts & used stuff as well. Some of which is priced to sell & some of which is oddly over-priced junk that I doubt they'll ever move at half the price.

But, the best thing I discovered about this place is that the owner occasionally buys bulk comics from someone or somewhere. It all began about a year or so ago when one day there was nothing comics related aside from a few dusty, slightly over-priced graphic novels scattered about & then, the following day, there were a couple of folding tables set up in the corner covered in about 10 - 12 long boxes of comics. With each & every book a buck apiece. And, the vast majority of them not even worth that...

With most of it all being '90s & more modern stuff.

But, mixed among this all were the occasional gem or run of a title of interest. Nothing remarkable mind you, but some nice finds. And, though it took a couple of visits to do so, I cherry picked the hell out of it all & though I kept checking in to see if there was going to be anymore such surprises, for the past year it's just been those same battered long boxes sitting there.

Until today.

I stopped in for the first time in a while & noticed a bunch of new dirty, battered long boxes sitting on the floor away fromwhere the other comics were. Apparently, i was the the first person to spot them & go through them. Which took well over three hours & positively killed my back & gave me a brutal headache while sifting through what was, again unfortunately, pretty much junk.

But, I got a big run of early ULTIMATE SPIDER-MANs ( a title I'd been meaning to begin collecting ever since I returned to the hobby 18 months ago ), a handful of 12 & 15 cent DCs all with Neal Adams covers like WORLD'S FINEST, THE WITCHING HOUR, HOUSE OF SECRETS, BATMAN... Some SUPERMANs from the same era... A small run of 12 cent SGT. FURYs, some WHERE MONSTERS DWELL, AMAZING SPIDER-MANs & a nice nice long run of original SWAMP THINGs.

A damn good haul IMHO.

I even got a wee bit of a deal in that I got 127 comics & the lady only charged me $100. So, I walked out of there VERY happy.

Jim

The Gil Kane character appears to be Deja Thoris from John Carter of Mars.

I'm thinking it's a Star Hawks character since that's what the back seems to be promoting.

Yeah, I don't think he ever drew Deja Thoris w/ that much clothes on, even in the Marvel book (hey, gotta remain true to your source material).

Stoked that I found this lot of ships and playsets with their original boxes locally a few weeks back.

These are the Kenner Canada GDE (Guerre Des Etoiles) - Star Wars versions, which are tougher to find than the Kenner U.S.A. toys/playsets.

I don't think I've ever seen another DS Station playset and the Creature Cantina is equally tough. I didn't unbox the DS for the first photo, but took a photo later of it - remarkable how clean this playset was and to find the foam in excellent condition after 30+ years:

DSCF1271.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

Congrats Joe.

Stoked that I found this lot of ships and playsets with their original boxes locally a few weeks back.

These are the Kenner Canada GDE (Guerre Des Etoiles) - Star Wars versions, which are tougher to find than the Kenner U.S.A. toys/playsets.

I don't think I've ever seen another DS Station playset and the Creature Cantina is equally tough. I didn't unbox the DS for the first photo, but took a photo later of it - remarkable how clean this playset was and to find the foam in excellent condition after 30+ years:

DSCF1271.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

Uh oh. :eek: Get ready for the "your friend is a gypsy, tramp and thief" boo-birds.

Oh well, despite what everyone here will say, if they were in the same position they would have done the same. Just like all of the boardies that chastised Chuck for the Mile High collection and saying they would have paid more, set up a scholarship in Church's name, etc., if they were in the same position they would have done the same thing.

My friend did know the value of the book and was thrilled as he did not expect to ever be able to buy a copy of AF #15 (he likes his books to be VF or better). I am happy for him on this find.

FWIW, I told my friend he made a mistake offering so much for just a few books as the owner might now take a look into the value of what is left. If it were me, I would have offered the owner $20 for both boxes of books after checking them all out and snagged everything. :idea:

I also teased him that if there was an AF #15 in that shape he might have missed out a Hulk #1 and FF #1 in similar condition by not looking through the rest of the last stack. lol

Ryan,

Once your friend was asked, what do you think they are worth, I would absolutely not have told or offered $30. If he knew the value of the item, and offered low, it is absolutely a fleecing and 100% wrong. It's nice he got an AF 15, but it certainly was completely and thoroughly dishonest. If he didn't have the money, he could have gone back and gotten more. This is different than a seller stickering a book at a certain price and you paying the low price. The seller asked your friend and essentially, he lied.

Ryan,

Once your friend was asked, what do you think they are worth, I would absolutely not have told or offered $30. If he knew the value of the item, and offered low, it is absolutely a fleecing and 100% wrong. It's nice he got an AF 15, but it certainly was completely and thoroughly dishonest. If he didn't have the money, he could have gone back and gotten more. This is different than a seller stickering a book at a certain price and you paying the low price. The seller asked your friend and essentially, he lied.

he can always go back and give him more money if he ever sells it. like a lot more money. that would be the right thing to do. :wishluck: