Page 3 of 65 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5175903 - 10/22/11 11:31 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: aman619]
comix4fun Offline

This is one of the rare times that having no friends works in my favor.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Under The Serious Moonlight
 Originally Posted By: aman619

They are now a part of art history.

I wanted to make special note of this comment.

Yes they aren't the first creators and they won't be the last creators to find themselves ground between the gears of "art history". They are the mortar and the foundation. The penthouse wouldn't exist without them but they never get the credit that they deserve from the people sitting on top.

"That's my secret.....I'm always angry."

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#5175929 - 10/22/11 11:51 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: aman619]
comix4fun Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

If this were to happen to today's artists....you'd see a different outcome.

Original on the left.......Lichtenstein on the right

A French artist named Erro tried to play the exact same tune on one of Brian Bolland's covers last year.

Mr. Bolland slammed the piano lid down on him so hard that I doubt he'll be trying to pull that again.

Artists today are far more savvy about their rights, and protecting their IP than they were when many of these pieces were created. I don't think we'll see anything this blatant, or on this scale again.

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#5175935 - 10/22/11 11:53 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: comix4fun]
*paull* Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: USA
The 20th century has a lot of artist frauds, but Lichtenstein is probably the head of the pack.

Lichtenstein didn't "breath new life" into the artwork, he stole it. Duchamp (a true artist, and the R. Mutt urinal is certainly not his most significant contribution) re-purposed an object that wasn't intended to be considered art.

#5175936 - 10/22/11 11:55 PM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: comix4fun]
aman619 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Well, it's been done already. So yeah, no fine artists will go down this road again. You are probably correct.

And you misspoke before. The publishers owned all these panels. Work for hire, remember?

#5175959 - 10/23/11 12:12 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: aman619]
aman619 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

One other aspect you haven't commented on is that Lichtenstein didn't only see the artwork in the panels. Ou appear to be very upset for the artists rights to their work. But, Lichtenstein was just as interested in the captions in the panels. One could argue, even more than the artwork, which he didn't copy line for line as you can see in your examples.

I don't believe text was used much in fine art before these paintings appeared. The viewer reads the captions which inform them as much if it more than the artwork you are obsessing over. Seems the letterers whose work was totally redrawn ought to get some defense here too!

#5175960 - 10/23/11 12:13 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: aman619]
comix4fun Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Well, it's been done already. So yeah, no fine artists will go down this road again. You are probably correct.

And you misspoke before. The publishers owned all these panels. Work for hire, remember?

That's true, Depending on the story and the publisher that may be true but I don't assume it unless its known. I haven't looked up each and every example, for the guys who were not prominent on the field that was probably true, but the copyright did establish from the moment the image was created, even if the artist had signed them away to the publisher.

That issue, and lack of perceived value at the time, is most likely what kept publishers from chasing these down.

Everything today is creator owned, or under contract, or shared rights so yeah, today this isn't going to happen. Careers end over a long weekend when this is discovered. Hello Nick Simmons.

#5175969 - 10/23/11 12:17 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: aman619]
comix4fun Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

One other aspect you haven't commented on is that Lichtenstein didn't only see the artwork in the panels. Ou appear to be very upset for the artists rights to their work. But, Lichtenstein was just as interested in the captions in the panels. One could argue, even more than the artwork, which he didn't copy line for line as you can see in your examples.

I don't believe text was used much in fine art before these paintings appeared. The viewer reads the captions which inform them as much if it more than the artwork you are obsessing over. Seems the letterers whose work was totally redrawn ought to get some defense here too!

Well I just assumed if he's copying the panel he might as well copy the words, thoughts, captions, and sound effects line for line. It's not the letter's work, as much as it's the writer's work.

I try not to make light of creators rights especially when an actual creator's work is taken by someone with seemingly no imagination.

Plagiarism shouldn't get a pass, and it certainly should not be adorned in the laurels of the term "art".

#5175976 - 10/23/11 12:23 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: aman619]
ShaneTurgeon Offline
(S)uper Collector

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

They are now a part of art history. Have any of the comics artists ever expressed anything over than a flush of indirect fame? Any lawsuits?

Not against Lichtenstein but Erro, another hack following in his footsteps, got taken to task for his blatant theft of Bolland's work:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/05/20/brian-bolland-takes-on-erro-and-wins/
Check out my CAF page:
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=36583

#5176182 - 10/23/11 03:05 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: ShaneTurgeon]
aman619 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Bolland did as tight a job in describing what Erro did to him as a his line work! Especially comparing it to stealing from savages.... But I still feel Lichtensteins work, and his place in art is of greater significance than this Johnny come lately. His pieces lack the simplicity and power of Lichtys work... Just pastiches of other stuff, not a distillation and reimaging of them.

Edited by aman619 (10/23/11 04:05 AM)

#5176287 - 10/23/11 08:12 AM Re: Lichtenstein Comic Inspired Art Estimated at $35-45 Million [Re: comix4fun]
tth2 Offline

"I blame it on the low quality of the newbies that are joining the boards."
--And with one swoop tth2 become the community crotchety old man. Damn kids today.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Hong Kong
 Originally Posted By: comix4fun
Well I just assumed if he's copying the panel he might as well copy the words, thoughts, captions, and sound effects line for line. It's not the letter's work, as much as it's the writer's work.

The combination of the captions and comic style art is the whole point of Lichtenstein`s work. He wasn`t trying to create comic style art. He was bringing out the pop art-ness of everyday things such as comic panels when they are presented out of context, in the same way that everyday branding or pictures of celebrities became pop art in Warhol`s hands.

Edited by tth2 (10/23/11 08:13 AM)

Page 3 of 65 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  cgcmod3, Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod2, cgcmod, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
***Fall Coin Auction - Link in post to catalog!
by Midwest Coins
Yesterday at 12:05 PM
WTB 1932-S Washington MS63
by Jon K.
Yesterday at 01:05 AM
Gold Kennedy proofs, 3 left, raw, unopened, unseen in box.
by AHFreak
09/16/14 01:21 PM
eBay: 1976 IKE Type 1 MS 65 plus some others NGCs
by Aslpride8
09/16/14 03:06 AM
Comics Marketplace
X-Factor 6 9.6 SS 1st Big Blue Guy SOLD!!
by bighaley21
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
2014 Amazing Spider-Man 1 1:200 CGC SS 9.8(Stan Lee/Dan Slott)
by CBass
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
FF45, FF52, WD1, IM55, DC Presents 26 etc
by Junkdrawer
Yesterday at 10:04 PM
Hump Day Ebay Auctions-10% Off Sale on Everything
by blazincomics
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles