• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

DC publishers Harry Donenfeld and Jack Liebowitz shared October 10th birthdays.

The pair had an interesting history as businessmen. Link

Here's a look at a few of the magazines (circa 1934) that Donenfeld published prior to getting into the comic book biz.

Time magazine's opinion in a July 31, 1933 news story was that they were "five of the smuttiest magazines on the newsstands."

spicymags.jpg

The magazines seem pretty tame by today's standards but it does show the circuitous route the pair followed before finding success as publishers of comic books.

dccomicsad.jpg

DC publishers Harry Donenfeld and Jack Liebowitz shared October 10th birthdays.

The pair had an interesting history as businessmen. Link

Here's a look at a few of the magazines (circa 1934) that Donenfeld published prior to getting into the comic book biz.

Time magazine's opinion in a July 31, 1933 news story was that they were "five of the smuttiest magazines on the newsstands."

spicymags.jpg

The magazines seem pretty tame by today's standards but it does show the circuitous route the pair followed before finding success as publishers of comic books.

dccomicsad.jpg

2446313603_916966f26c_z.jpg

2432455495_94fe7dce9b_z.jpg

I have issues of all of those titles but the Pep. They aren't very risque. I prefer the Eyeopener cartoons.

According to Men of Tomorrow, the covers tended to reveal more and more skin on paintings of women that started to look more and more like girls, as time went on.

I never really noticed that trend.

Here are a few more examples I have in my collection.

laparee.jpg

laparee2.jpg

Hi everyone! Iv'e been hurrying to catch up on this thread since I found it. In the last 2 weeks I've read about 550 pages of it, hoping to get up to date.

I am not a golden age collector yet. I've stated collecting again earlier this year after a ~12 year hiatus. For some reason comics are really interesting to me now even after all this time away. I love the art, the expression, just generally how great the visual appeal is in all ways. This thread has shown me some really great stuff to keep an eye out for!

Anyhow, I've been hitting up the local auction sites, thrift sales, craigslist, etc.... Looking for cool stuff. I went down to a local flea market and found this book, I recognized some of the stuff from the earlier days of this thread, so I snagged it up for $2.50.

So heres my meager offering, published in 1975 By Ballantine/Random House, about 12x10, with a bunch of old scifi pulp cover prints:

Image9.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image10.jpg

Image12.jpg

Image14-1.jpg

I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread, it has been a wonderful read thus far, and I hope the next 900 pages are just as great!

Hi everyone! Iv'e been hurrying to catch up on this thread since I found it. In the last 2 weeks I've read about 550 pages of it, hoping to get up to date.

I am not a golden age collector yet. I've stated collecting again earlier this year after a ~12 year hiatus. For some reason comics are really interesting to me now even after all this time away. I love the art, the expression, just generally how great the visual appeal is in all ways. This thread has shown me some really great stuff to keep an eye out for!

Anyhow, I've been hitting up the local auction sites, thrift sales, craigslist, etc.... Looking for cool stuff. I went down to a local flea market and found this book, I recognized some of the stuff from the earlier days of this thread, so I snagged it up for $2.50.

So heres my meager offering, published in 1975 By Ballantine/Random House, about 12x10, with a bunch of old scifi pulp cover prints:

Image9.jpg

I'm happy you're enjoying the thread...you've done a lot of reading. (worship)

And, congrats on the buy.

I remember purchasing the book when it was first released. Back then books like this one were the only way many collectors could see covers of rare pulps printed in full color.

I recall paging through the book numerous times. I enjoyed looking at the full page reproductions and was continually making mental notes to myself about which issues I wanted to acquire. :)

According to Men of Tomorrow, the covers tended to reveal more and more skin on paintings of women that started to look more and more like girls, as time went on.

I never really noticed that trend.

Here are a few more examples I have in my collection.

laparee.jpg

laparee2.jpg

Those are really nice covers. They look a little art deco when all together. I saw someone selling La Paree T-shirts on line.

I remember purchasing the book when it was first released. Back then books like this one were the only way many collectors could see covers of rare pulps printed in full color.

I recall paging through the book numerous times. I enjoyed looking at the full page reproductions and was continually making mental notes to myself about which issues I wanted to acquire. :)

and thank you for all the great stuff you've posted. this thread has single-handedly blown my mind and given me an appreciation for stuff I never would be able to see in real life. (Not to mention to keep my eye out for)

Its been a great ride so far, and eventually ill be up to this page in the thread, lol!

and thank you for all the great stuff you've posted. this thread has single-handedly blown my mind and given me an appreciation for stuff I never would be able to see in real life. (Not to mention to keep my eye out for)

Its been a great ride so far, and eventually ill be up to this page in the thread, lol!

Welcome to the boards! :hi:

Love the pulp book too. Thanks for sharing and keep reading---this is the greatest thread of all time. :cloud9:

Jeff

Speaking of the Spicies, yesterday I got my copy of Spicy Adventures, the latest offering from the REH Foundation. It collects all of the stories that Howard wrote for Spicy Adventure Stories under the pseudonym "Sam Walser."

http://www.rehfoundation.org/2011/08/13/pre-order-spicy-adventures/

spicy_small_web.jpg

BZ, Do you have any those original Spicy Adventure Stories from 1936-37 with REH yarns? "She-Devil" and "The Dragon of Kao-Tsu" are the two that made the cover.

Speaking of the Spicies, yesterday I got my copy of Spicy Adventures, the latest offering from the REH Foundation. It collects all of the stories that Howard wrote for Spicy Adventure Stories under the pseudonym "Sam Walser."

http://www.rehfoundation.org/2011/08/13/pre-order-spicy-adventures/

BZ, Do you have any those original Spicy Adventure Stories from 1936-37 with REH yarns?

Thanks for the link to the Spicy Adventures book. (thumbs u

The only Spicy Adventure I have with a Howard story is the January 1937 issue which contains "Murderer’s Grog."

Today was the birthday of cartoonist, Roger Armstrong (1917-2007).

He worked for Dell Comics for over 20 years illustrating hundreds of stories featuring characters such as Porky Pig, Bugs Bunny, Mary Jane and Sniffles, Pluto, Scamp, Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, etc.

He was also the uncredited artist for several newspaper strips, including: Ella Cinders, Little Lulu, Napoleon and Uncle Elby, and Walt Disney's Scamp comic strip (1978-1988).

armstrong1.jpg

armstrong2.jpg

armstrong3.jpg

armstrong4.jpg

I'm trying to catch up on this thread, is there an easier way for me to get to a specific page instead of just clicking every 5 or so pages? Btw incredible books and thread BangZoom!! Glad to see you're still around here!