Page all of 12 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5140496 - 10/07/11 12:57 AM British Pence Variants
OveraboundingMint Offline
The Collectinator

I saw this from MHC website:

and was thinking whether this is just merely the British pence issue or is actually as MHC claimed, a British Pence Variant. Could someone confirm on this??

#5140921 - 10/07/11 11:19 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
batmiesta Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: united kingdom
Looks to me like a normal British pence copy.

#5140961 - 10/07/11 11:47 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: batmiesta]
Spider-Variant Offline

Loc: Now on the West Coast
The growing trend is to call anything with a foreign price a variant. So, when someone lists a pence variant, they are more likely referring to a British edition which happens to have a pence price.

Not sure there are many true foreign variants (books that there would be two foreign editions, the regular and the variant), there was a weird pence Hulk #1 on here a few years back, but can't remember the outcome. Don't think it was a foreign variant.

#5141043 - 10/07/11 12:42 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: MrX-rayvision

and was thinking whether this is just merely the British pence issue or is actually as MHC claimed, a British Pence Variant. Could someone confirm on this??

I've noticed a lot of these on the website.

Just the standard pence copies distributed to the UK, nothing special about them at all, and no reason they should be at double the price of the US version.

#5141192 - 10/07/11 02:23 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
Comicopolis Offline

Only 7000 posts in more than 7 years - that's just lazy.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Staring at the sea
 Originally Posted By: Ken Aldred

I've noticed a lot of these on the website.

Just the standard pence copies distributed to the UK, nothing special about them at all, and no reason they should be at double the price of the US version.

Of course they should

#5141303 - 10/07/11 03:15 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Comicopolis]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

lol \(thumbs u

I prefer cent copies, but there are many British collectors who aren't that bothered.

I think maybe parity rather than double. Printed at the same time as the US copies, the interiors are exactly the same, no difference apart from the pence / sterling price and the All-Colour Comics banner on the cover.

#5144829 - 10/09/11 04:12 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
comics_ross Offline
If I just sell the car, I can up my bid...

There was a theme about this topic a few weeks ago.

You can find some very usefull info here:
http://stlcomics.com/columns/maneevent/I/

#5144956 - 10/09/11 09:28 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
Spider-Variant Offline

Loc: Now on the West Coast
lol \(thumbs u

I prefer cent copies, but there are many British collectors who aren't that bothered.

I think maybe parity rather than double. Printed at the same time as the US copies, the interiors are exactly the same, no difference apart from the pence / sterling price and the All-Colour Comics banner on the cover.

Yes, but the OP's original question was: Is this a variant of the issue you describe above? ie Is there something special/different about this copy that is not like every other book that came down the production process with a pence price on it.

The answer so far is "no" and Mile High is following the same nomenclature for this book that 95% of the selling world does: Pence Copy = Foreign Variant. Which IMHO, it not a variant.

But alas, I don't make the rules.

#5146376 - 10/09/11 10:14 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Spider-Variant]
The Collectinator

Thanks everyone for all the replies to verify this. Apparently, people would come to assume this as a variant because of the yellow star but then the 9p is pretty much the standard fare, so unless there are copies of similar 9p in a circular white or other coloured price box, then we can assume this being a variant.

Still, i would prefer the much rarer pence issue over the cents, because for one, the print run is only a small percentage of the main, another, being that the design looks great on most of the issues printed in the 70s, making many of the bronze pence issues very artistically more superior to the cents versions. And besides we wouldn't want a copy with a logo that says " still only 25 cents" or something like that.

Anyway, I do remember buying a pence issue of the aforementioned issue in the mid 70s during my early childhood, still remember the "marvel all colour comics" label but have no idea how it was disposed or whether it was exactly the same as the scan shown above. I would love to own all the Marvel 70s-1982 pence issues in addition to the easily available non-variant editions.

#5146399 - 10/09/11 10:23 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
The Collectinator

I was looking at another site (mycomicshop.com) and see that what was discussed holds true:

#5146561 - 10/09/11 11:53 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
ShieldAgent Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Maryland
doh\!

#5146638 - 10/10/11 12:45 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Still, i would prefer the much rarer pence issue over the cents, because for one, the print run is only a small percentage of the main, another, being that the design looks great on most of the issues printed in the 70s, making many of the bronze pence issues very artistically more superior to the cents versions. And besides we wouldn't want a copy with a logo that says " still only 25 cents" or something like that.

I've always preferred cent copies and their banner design, my thought process being that I'm collecting American books and so it just seems more logical and appropriate to own them priced and looking that way. Maybe partly because I'm British, a pence copy feels a bit ordinary and lacks the sense of mystique I've associated with the US version, ever since I first saw an example as a kid back in the 70s.

#5146666 - 10/10/11 01:26 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
The Collectinator

When i was very young, i used to think the banner "Marvel Comics Group" looks classy, but as i grew older, all the other artistic considerations and the nolstagia behind the pence issues made me feel otherwise now, though some titles look better with the 'all color' banner while others with the 'group' ones.

#5146668 - 10/10/11 01:29 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Stockton on Tees UK
Whereas I am the opposite. \:\)

I grew up with pence editions and I prefer them now. I know they will never be as collectible as the cents copies but I don't collect for that.

Chuckie is just being clever here - there are no pence variants. There are pence editions - as said earlier - printed on the same presses at the same time. The word variant is used by MHC to make people think they are something they are not.

A variant is issued by the publisher to encourage multiple purchases and changes are made to the cover in terms of artwork etc.

Pence copies do not fit into this category. (In the same way as different US price editions don't). \(thumbs u

#5146672 - 10/10/11 01:31 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: ShieldAgent]
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: ShieldAgent
doh\!

Not the commercialized non-lasting short-term cover 'variants' as we have it from the 90s onwards, but rather true collectible 'variants' in the design labels.

#5147253 - 10/10/11 01:02 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

If you are looking for pence copies contact UK based dealers like FT. They cost less than cents copies generally so you don't pay the premium MHC charge.

#5147276 - 10/10/11 01:14 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
ShieldAgent Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Originally Posted By: nmtg9
Whereas I am the opposite. \:\)

I grew up with pence editions and I prefer them now. I know they will never be as collectible as the cents copies but I don't collect for that.

Chuckie is just being clever here - there are no pence variants. There are pence editions - as said earlier - printed on the same presses at the same time. The word variant is used by MHC to make people think they are something they are not.

A variant is issued by the publisher to encourage multiple purchases and changes are made to the cover in terms of artwork etc.

Pence copies do not fit into this category. (In the same way as different US price editions don't). \(thumbs u

#5147301 - 10/10/11 01:23 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
ShieldAgent Offline

Originally Posted By: ShieldAgent
doh\!

Not the commercialized non-lasting short-term cover 'variants' as we have it from the 90s onwards, but rather true collectible 'variants' in the design labels.

How special the UK must feel that they were shipped only "variants".

#5147381 - 10/10/11 02:05 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: ShieldAgent]
Dr. Balls Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: UP THE IRONS!
In case this wasn't already covered in this thread - Conan 61 is one of the Marvel 30¢ variants - did they test out new pricing in the UK as well?

The US version of the 30¢ variant is a starburst in the corner (like the UK one):

And here's the regular one:

I am fairly sure that even the pence versions had the normal-looking price area, and not the pasted-in-pricing-in-the-starburst-look on their books.

#5147409 - 10/10/11 02:24 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Dr. Balls]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Interesting notion.

I can't imagine they bothered with different prices for UK editions (this was the 70's when Marvel UK was being pushed ahead of the original issues and ASM wasnt sent over here for about 6/7 years).

There will be other collectors who would know more than me but in all the years I have loved comics I've never seen the same comic with 2 UK prices on.

Neil

#5147662 - 10/10/11 04:51 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
Dr. Balls Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: UP THE IRONS!
Reading a bit more about the 30 cent variants, they appeared only in the following markets:

Grand Rapids, MI
Baltimore, MD
San Antonio, TX
San Jose, CA
Albuquerque, NM
Somewhere in Massachusetts

(info from stlcomics.com

For my two cents - I don't consider foreign books to be "variants". But I do consider the 30¢ Marvels to be true variants, as they seem to adhere to the definition of "variant" : something that differs from a standard or type. Those variants were a limited run, in limited areas and had a different printed price.

#5147764 - 10/10/11 05:29 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

If you are looking for pence copies contact UK based dealers like FT. They cost less than cents copies generally so you don't pay the premium MHC charge.
+1

It's simple to research these books online, to quickly discover that they are ordinary, plentiful and much, much cheaper in the UK, and that MHC's gouging can be circumvented very, very easily. \(thumbs u

Originally Posted By: comics_ross
There was a theme about this topic a few weeks ago.

You can find some very usefull info here:
http://stlcomics.com/columns/maneevent/I/

Thanks for the link. Always very interesting to read another article on the subject. \:\)

#5147888 - 10/10/11 06:16 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Dr. Balls]
Whizzer Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Honest Town
 Originally Posted By: Dr. Balls
Reading a bit more about the 30 cent variants, they appeared only in the following markets:

Grand Rapids, MI
Baltimore, MD
San Antonio, TX
San Jose, CA
Albuquerque, NM
Somewhere in Massachusetts

(info from stlcomics.com

For my two cents - I don't consider foreign books to be "variants". But I do consider the 30¢ Marvels to be true variants, as they seem to adhere to the definition of "variant" : something that differs from a standard or type. Those variants were a limited run, in limited areas and had a different printed price.

I know what you are saying but, these books are slightly different to other "foreign books", because other than the price (and in some cases banner) they are exactly the same as the US editions.

Right down to the indicia, sea monkey ads and the look who's smiling now guy on the back cover.

"I am playing all the right notes...just not necessarily in the right order" - Eric Morecombe.

http://Www.ltd-edition-comix.com

#5148257 - 10/10/11 08:21 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
The Collectinator

It's simple to research these books online, to quickly discover that they are ordinary, plentiful and much, much cheaper in the UK, and that MHC's gouging can be circumvented very, very easily. \(thumbs u

Well, i have over the years gotten all the US variants i wanted but not for the pence issues as i 'm still looking high and low to obtain certain pence variants, and this are just the normal issues, not high grade or bronze keys.

Anyone knows the typical print runs for both the US and pence price variants?

#5148263 - 10/10/11 08:24 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
The Collectinator

Good Sir, what's FT stands for ? Ccould you please email me the details? Thanks!

#5148574 - 10/10/11 09:56 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Good Sir, what's FT stands for ? Ccould you please email me the details? Thanks!

FT = Flaming Telepath = Nick Beckett of Comicana Direct

#5148946 - 10/11/11 12:13 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Anyone knows the typical print runs for both the US and pence price variants?

They were parts of the same print run.

5% or less of the total print run of a particular issue would have the pence cover.

#5149028 - 10/11/11 02:03 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
the blob Offline

if the price is right i am game for anything

TOTAL NEWBIE

The market has said the pence are worth less despite being rarer, which is a bit illogical. On some of these books a 9.6 pence version might be the highest graded copy.

were there newstand returns in the UK or did leftovers all wind up in some aftermarket?

#5149029 - 10/11/11 02:06 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: the blob]
the blob Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

5% of the print run, but you know those brits are natural born pack rats/collectors haven't you ever seen cash in the attic? every copy probably got kept in top notch condition!

#5149376 - 10/11/11 11:06 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: the blob]
Comicopolis Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: the blob
5% of the print run, but you know those brits are natural born pack rats/collectors haven't you ever seen cash in the attic? every copy probably got kept in top notch condition!

I wish

#5149674 - 10/11/11 01:22 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Comicopolis]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

I am sure there are plenty of nice collections over here from 1959 onwards that are OO's (or close if you know what i mean ).

Over the next few years it would be nice to see some high grade pence copies surfacing.

#5150749 - 10/11/11 08:52 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: the blob]
The Collectinator

Contrary to that perception, such culture of careful comics storage is more definitely the indicative norm among comics readers/collectors in the US because comics by and large were handled roughly like any other form of reading material in the UK and Commonwealth areas where they were sold.

#5150774 - 10/11/11 09:01 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
The Collectinator

An example of some low grade pence issues found today, just imagine how beautiful they'll look in high grade, esp NM/M:

#5152454 - 10/12/11 04:16 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: the blob]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

\:\) Unlikely. Before I started collecting properly, all I could find were pence copies from news stands, and I used to read them over and over again, carelessly, like most kids would do anywhere. The only outlet in town that I bought comics from at this stage was the bus station kiosk, so the books were often exposed to the North West's damp climate, and well thumbed through - not much in UHG available from that source. I eventually moved on to buying pence copies from an indoor market stall that got in a single, bundled mixture of comics each month, containing just one copy of each distributed Marvel and DC book, some Harveys and Charltons as well. Once again, the odds of obtaining every issue of a title I collected, month in, month out, in absolutely top notch condition, weren't exactly great. \:\(

#5152468 - 10/12/11 04:32 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

That's a coincidence. Deathlok in Astonishing Tales is the only complete run I have as pence copies. \(thumbs u

#5153660 - 10/13/11 02:03 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
The Collectinator

This is one of the hardest to get:

#5153683 - 10/13/11 02:43 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: North Phoenix AZ
This is one of the hardest to get:

Have it. There are a couple on ebay right now as well.

#5155968 - 10/14/11 06:05 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
The Collectinator

You got me there. I was actually testing reaction though we all do know that the hard to get ones are the pre-75 and hot titles.

#5155979 - 10/14/11 06:52 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Actually, I collect Pence books and have a few hundred or so. I posted some in the past. maybe I should post a few here. After I finished My FF collection I started on a Pence set and it grew from there.

#5160991 - 10/16/11 08:13 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
The Collectinator

The primary purpose of this thread is to get those with very rare issues and if possible in high grade, to showcase them, and perhaps to sell or trade them.

Just wondering which particular periods your issues range from? Cutting staright to the point, Brian, do you have the pence issues of Hulk 141 & ASM 80 & 135, Marvel Feature 1-3, Defenders 1-4, 11,13-16, X-men 44, 49-56, Fantastic four 150,155 Daredevil 80,109,118,123, 131-134, Conan 1-7,14-15, Astonishing Tales 1 in high NM grade?

Comparing a pre 1975 cents with a pence issue:

#5161027 - 10/16/11 08:25 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

My pence range from silver to early copper. I only collect certain titles. Fantastic Four and ASM from your list above. Not sure all of what I have. Most tend to be mid range others higher.

Here is an X-men Key

#5161034 - 10/16/11 08:26 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Here are some ASM.

Edited by BrianR (10/16/11 08:27 PM)

#5161047 - 10/16/11 08:28 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

some more ASM

#5161049 - 10/16/11 08:30 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I don't have everything scanned these are from my files.

#5161061 - 10/16/11 08:36 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Another X-men I have scanned

#5161070 - 10/16/11 08:39 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
The Collectinator

Nice collectible grades you got there!

I would love to have a look at your ASM 67,80, 135 and X-men GS1, 94-98 if you have time to scan them, and maybe we can work somthing out. Since you collect X-men, do you happen to have Hulk 181?

#5161075 - 10/16/11 08:42 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I Don't have X-men GS1 94,95 and hulk 181 for sure. I started collecting X-men then stopped.

Here is a decent shape Captain Marvel.

#5161474 - 10/17/11 12:15 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: BrianR
I Don't have X-men GS1 94,95 and hulk 181 for sure.

X-Men 96 was the first distributed / pence issue in the run.

None of the Marvel Giant-Sizes were distributed either.

Incredible Hulk wasn't available here for quite a long period in the 70s - including issue 181, unfortunately. \:\(

#5161517 - 10/17/11 12:57 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
The Collectinator

Incredible Hulk wasn't available here for quite a long period in the 70s - including issue 181, unfortunately. \:\(

I have seen X-men GS1 and Hulk pence issues preceding 181. I think the distribution is quite uneven, even in some small cities and towns. On a certain month, some areas and shops may get so many of a certain issue, while others don't or receive one or a few, or may not received that particular issue, and there were also regular shipments of what i believe were unsold bundles of back issues. Take for example, Thor 272, i can still remember finding so many copies of that in one area while another area was not carrying it but other titles.

I am keen to know, Ken, where you get the information that X-men 96 was the first pence issue when X-men from the time of Lee/Kirby had been printed in pence from the 60s.

#5161531 - 10/17/11 01:27 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: xrayvision

I am keen to know, Ken, where you get the information that X-men 96 was the first pence issue when X-men from the time of Lee/Kirby had been printed in pence from the 60s.

I assumed, in context, that you would understand I was talking about the New X-Men run. \(shrug\)

#5161564 - 10/17/11 02:24 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

The primary purpose of this thread is to get those with very rare issues and if possible in high grade, to showcase them, and perhaps to sell or trade them.

Just wondering which particular periods your issues range from? Cutting staright to the point, Brian, do you have the pence issues of Hulk 141 & ASM 80 & 135, Marvel Feature 1-3, Defenders 1-4, 11,13-16, X-men 44, 49-56, Fantastic four 150,155 Daredevil 80,109,118,123, 131-134, Conan 1-7,14-15, Astonishing Tales 1 in high NM grade?

The following from your list were not issued in the UK so pence copies just do not exist:

ASM 135, Marvel Feature 1-3 (presumably 1st series you mean?), Defendera 1-3, 13, 14, Daredevil 109, Conan 2, 7, Astonishing Tales 1.

Info obtained fro Duncan McAlpine's British Price Guides, mainly published during the 90's.

I have a complete list I compiled using the guide in word format. It's too big to copy here so PM me if you would like a copy. \(thumbs u

Neil

#5161572 - 10/17/11 02:32 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

I have seen X-men GS1 and Hulk pence issues preceding 181. I think the distribution is quite uneven, even in some small cities and towns. On a certain month, some areas and shops may get so many of a certain issue, while others don't or receive one or a few, or may not received that particular issue, and there were also regular shipments of what i believe were unsold bundles of back issues. Take for example, Thor 272, i can still remember finding so many copies of that in one area while another area was not carrying it but other titles.

Thorpe and Porter began distributing in the UK in Oct/Nov 1959. The comics would come in as a ships ballast. During the sixties it was easier to find comics in shipping towns where the ships docked.
My Dad, in Middlesbrough was able to buy pretty much any comic that was sent over during the sixties - there were plenty of shops selling them. Its conceivable that some places missed out due to uneven distribution, but of course we will never know for certain.
UK copies were also affected in certain months - such as when ports went on strike, some issues were affected by water getting to them on the journey over etc...

#5161656 - 10/17/11 06:30 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
r100comics Offline

Loc: London, England

The following from your list were not issued in the UK so pence copies just do not exist:

ASM 135, Marvel Feature 1-3 (presumably 1st series you mean?), Defendera 1-3, 13, 14, Daredevil 109, Conan 2, 7, Astonishing Tales 1.

Info obtained fro Duncan McAlpine's British Price Guides, mainly published during the 90's.

I have a complete list I compiled using the guide in word format. It's too big to copy here so PM me if you would like a copy. \(thumbs u

Neil

There were also ND (Not Distributed) notations for some Thor's like #283, #304 and #305. Was always exciting when I found an ND book back in the day.

#5163878 - 10/18/11 01:33 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
The Collectinator

I assumed, in context, that you would understand I was talking about the New X-Men run. \(shrug\)

I thought so but wasn't sure. Appreciate your sharing with Thanks!

#5163880 - 10/18/11 01:34 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: r100comics]
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: r100comics

Neil

There were also ND (Not Distributed) notations for some Thor's like #283, #304 and #305. Was always exciting when I found an ND book back in the day.

Thanks r100comics and nmtg9 !!!

#5164948 - 10/18/11 04:11 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
gaz973 Offline

Basically you're asking for people to use common sense?
Um...... good luck with that.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: UK

Contrary to that perception, such culture of careful comics storage is more definitely the indicative norm among comics readers/collectors in the US because comics by and large were handled roughly like any other form of reading material in the UK and Commonwealth areas where they were sold.

I agree with this totally, the UK didn't have the "collecting culture" regarding comics that there was in the US. Comics were just seen as reading material by the vast majority and weren't put into storage as a collection. As a result, many copies of pence editions will have been destroyed with a further large number having suffered in condition due to handling and poor storage. Combine this with the low distribution numbers in the first place and the result is that pence copies in the higher grades are far, far harder to find than their US counterparts.

My selling and buying feedback

#5168226 - 10/19/11 07:51 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: gaz973]
The Collectinator

I have just ran thru' Neil's list for those pence issues not distributed and it is as what Ken had said, there was no GS X-men 1 and Hulk 181. But I did remember seeing the GS X-men 1 pegged on top of the newstand, right up there with Marvel Two-in One Annual 1, and Daredevil 143. As i was only allowed by my parents to buy just one comic and so out of those three covers that most appealed to me, i chose the DD 143.

I could still remember whenever i think back about missing the GS X-men 1 when it first came out on the stands and it was later in the years of the 80s when the title became so popular that i wished i had chosen the GS 1 instead, or even then the MTO Annual 2.

So on that GS X-men 1 i have seen, it 's either a cents issue or a rare pence issue which the guide might have missed and then crossed out its existence.

#5169181 - 10/20/11 04:00 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
gaz973 Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

There's no record of the having been a pence GS X Men so I guess you must have seen a cents copy.

#5169192 - 10/20/11 05:41 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Given the demand for GS XM 1 and how often I've discussed it with other collectors here in the UK, I thought that over 35 years or so there would have been some mention of a pence version, but not even once. Sorry.

#5171617 - 10/21/11 01:29 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

DD143 was from 1977 and the Marvel 2in1 ann1 from 1976.

Looks like the shop you were in was one of those wonderful old shops that had lots of comics in - you just dont find them anymore over here (outside the evil FP of course) \(thumbs u

#5171772 - 10/21/11 07:04 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
r100comics Offline

Not sure if you had them elsewhere, but we had Popular Book Centre in London around this time who dealt in US/UK magazines and comics.

Pretty grotty places looking back, but for a young kid they were

#5172135 - 10/21/11 11:21 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: r100comics]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

We had a shop in Middlesbrough that sold videos and posters upstairs and comics downstairs. I loved the shop but it was shut down for selling porn. \(tsk\)

#5173219 - 10/21/11 07:09 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
gaz973 Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Looks like the shop you were in was one of those wonderful old shops that had lots of comics in - you just dont find them anymore over here (outside the evil FP of course) \(thumbs u

FP isn't a shop with lots of comics in any more.

#5173313 - 10/21/11 07:45 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
Comicopolis Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

We had a shop in Middlesbrough that sold videos and posters upstairs and comics downstairs. I loved the shop but it was shut down for selling porn. \(tsk\)

There was more than one of those types of shops in the Boro.

#5174206 - 10/22/11 02:43 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: gaz973]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: gaz973

FP isn't a shop with lots of comics in any more.

\^\^

#5174207 - 10/22/11 02:43 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Comicopolis]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Originally Posted By: Comicopolis

There was more than one of those types of shops in the Boro.

Still is \:o

#5174217 - 10/22/11 02:52 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
porcupine48 Offline

I know I shall never be forgiven for the Great Miltipas Monster Mistake.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: SodaMintKiller
My one prehero 9d

#5174319 - 10/22/11 07:24 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: r100comics]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Not sure if you had them elsewhere, but we had Popular Book Centre in London around this time who dealt in US/UK magazines and comics.

Pretty grotty places looking back, but for a young kid they were

There used to be a shop in Manchester city centre, which sounds like this kind of thing.

The basement had absolutely loads of unbagged pence copies just stuffed randomly into boxes, and the air felt kind of dampish, far from optimal storage conditions for maintaining the stock in high grade.

I only went there once because the manager seemed pretty obnoxious, making a really bad first impression on me. I inquired about the grade of one of his books, to which he replied, sarcastically, 'That's not for me to say, that's something for you to ascertain', \:o then just smirked, snorted and walked off. \:\(

Same guy was also responsible for pricing the books downstairs. You'd pass a few comics to him, quick sneer back at you, followed by a formulaic "Well, we'll say (insert ridiculous price)", and then he'd just walk off upstairs again. That got tedious very, very quickly indeed. As an example, Howard the Duck 4 in VF for £2, and this was 1980.

I didn't buy anything and, being there with friends who were becoming just as rapidly disheartened, I couldn't wait for everyone to finish and just get out of the sorry place.

#5174972 - 10/22/11 03:05 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
kahnadah Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Leatherhead Surrey England
I had these, but sold them:

And I still have these (but not for long, gave up on the run in pence/cents):

James

Brad McCrimmon - 29 March 1959 – 7 September 2011
Thanks Sarge!

#5176501 - 10/23/11 11:38 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: kahnadah]
EwanUK Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: England
Great thread.
I really like pence copies, true variants and a lot scarcer than geneally appreciated. I love the charm of the early 60s Marvel 'd' covers.

So when did the pence issues begin and end? is there a list out there?

P.S. I grew up in Leeds in the 70s and 80s. Before Odyssey (eventually another FP) opened in Harrison Street in (I think) late 1985, there were 2 main shops, the famous Skyrack in Merrion Market and a shop on Vicar Lane that sold comics, underground comix, mags and tons of porn!!! I forget its name and to be honest, I was only 13 in 1985 so cared more for the comics.
In my mind's eye, the owner of the shop was Dez Skinn circa 1978 - nice guy but smoked heavily over everything. I remember buying musty 2000ADs off him - and they had a basement with loads of Treasury sized comics in.
There were also great comic marts at the Griffin Hotel just down the road.

Anyway, here's some of mine...

#5177839 - 10/23/11 11:51 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: EwanUK]
porcupine48 Offline

I know I shall never be forgiven for the Great Miltipas Monster Mistake.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: SodaMintKiller
when I get my ASM 1 I want it to be a beauty like that one.So very cool.

#5178032 - 10/24/11 04:05 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: porcupine48]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Ewan, I am the same age and was in Leeds from 1983 onwards.

I remember Odyssey and Skyrack but not the one of Vicar Lane. Probably passed you in the shops every Saturday and I loved the Griffin marts.

Pence issues started Oct/Nov 1959 but I am not sure exactly when they stopped. Probably around 1980ish when they started having all three (US UK Canada) prices on the front.

#5178101 - 10/24/11 08:21 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: EwanUK]
r100comics Offline

Originally Posted By: EwanUK
In my mind's eye, the owner of the shop was Dez Skinn circa 1978 - nice guy but smoked heavily over everything.

I thought Dez Skinn was at Quality Comics in New Cross, SE London then ? The shop was formerly Weird Fantasy, so perhaps he only took over with the name change ?

#5178161 - 10/24/11 09:10 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: porcupine48]
EwanUK Offline

Originally Posted By: porcupine48
when I get my ASM 1 I want it to be a beauty like that one.So very cool.

Many thanks - it's the one comic I'm definitely keeping for my children.
I actually bought it for - a very small price - with these other 3 off ebay in 2007....

I recognised it was coverless ASM 1 - but when it arrived (wrapped in cellophane) the cover was most definitely attached but folded over - and had the colours and brightness you can see.

p.s. like your cat, mine's very similar - Louie - indignant on the couch...

#5178178 - 10/24/11 09:30 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
EwanUK Offline

Ewan, I am the same age and was in Leeds from 1983 onwards.

I remember Odyssey and Skyrack but not the one of Vicar Lane. Probably passed you in the shops every Saturday and I loved the Griffin marts.

Pence issues started Oct/Nov 1959 but I am not sure exactly when they stopped. Probably around 1980ish when they started having all three (US UK Canada) prices on the front.

Fab - well, Leeds was a great place to be... still is...

The porn shop was actually on Boar Lane (not Vicar lane) opposite Lewis's or M&S (can't remember) it eventually moved to Brigate near St John's Church but must have closed years ago.

This is the old Odyssey place in Harrison Street now a trendy wig shop !!
I distinctly remember -
Opening night - X-Factor no.1 sold out
Meeting Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons on the 1987 Watchmen Tour
The owner was called "Davod"
Buying several 2000AD Prog 500s
Selling them my DKR no.1-3 for £35
Not making the Dave Sim Cerebus signing as I was at school...

ah the days...

Fav thing was new comics were sold to you in comic sized PAPER bags !

#5178196 - 10/24/11 09:45 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: r100comics]
EwanUK Offline

In my mind's eye, the owner of the shop was Dez Skinn circa 1978 - nice guy but smoked heavily over everything.

I thought Dez Skinn was at Quality Comics in New Cross, SE London then ? The shop was formerly Weird Fantasy, so perhaps he only took over with the name change ?

yes mate he was - I meant just that kind of guy - big collars, hair slicked back, constant cig in mouth, selling dodgy underground comix to 14 year old boys ;\)

Speaking of London, I was lucky enough to visit the original Forbidden Planet 1 & 2 in Denmark Street in probably 1985 or 1986? Nothing like the corporate monster we have these days...

Torquemeda makes a visit

Douglas Adams & Nick Landau (Tharg)
looks at all those 12p Marvel pence variants in the rack!

#5178571 - 10/24/11 01:56 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: EwanUK]
Eggman Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Santa Rosa, CA
I love pence comics too. Trying to find old SA keys is not that easy. I'm looking for Strange Tales 110 right now (and open to other keys) in lower condition. Here's a couple that I have that I love:

#5178849 - 10/24/11 04:28 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: EwanUK]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

The branch of Odyssey in Leeds was centrally located and convenient, the original shop in Manchester was in the university district about a mile or so south of the city centre, and a PITA to get to if you lived north of the city, because at the time there was no direct public transport connection. The owner told me that they were aware it was a trek for many people to get down there, which was the main reason for the shop's name.

Eventually I found it much easier on all counts to buy import comics once a month from the central Piccadilly Plaza marts. The boardies would've liked those in the late 70s, loads of UHG pence copy back issues there as well, of course. From 1980 to 1985, I also regularly attended the Golden Orbit marts at the Griffin Hotel, which you mentioned earlier. Great fun.

#5179069 - 10/24/11 05:44 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
gaz973 Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

My most expensive pence copy.

#5179312 - 10/24/11 07:53 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
The Collectinator

Marvel two in one annual 2, to me then, it was like some kind of gorilla-faced super villain lifting Spiderman up over a defeated Thing and lots of superheroes's faces on the side. Didn't know why but at that time my childhood eyes were only glued on those 3 books and oblivious to everything else up there that were clipped.

I would love to get my hands on every single 70s issue of the Defenders, X-men, Avengers, F4, Invaders and Marvel Two-in One. But the 70s pence Defenders and X-men are always top priority to me.

#5179872 - 10/24/11 11:18 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

While not high grade here is a square bound pence.

#5179879 - 10/24/11 11:21 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Here are a few more Where Monsters Dwell in a bit better shape.

#5179923 - 10/24/11 11:38 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Here are a few more X-Men. Trying to keep with the bronze age.

#5179973 - 10/25/11 12:05 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Just a couple SA FF keys.

The 4 is a freed cgc 5.0

#5180072 - 10/25/11 01:01 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: EwanUK]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Odyssey was expensive, as was Skyrack but that evening in November 1987 (?) when Alan Moore was at Odyssey was one of my biggest comic regerts.

I had just had an operation on my foot and couldn't walk very well so was not allowed to go

I was so gutted. For that Christmas though I did buy DKR Hardback from there. Always remember seeing X-Men 2 in there on the wall behind the counter for £20/25 thinking it was amazing.

#5183229 - 10/26/11 10:17 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Marvel two in one annual 2, to me then, it was like some kind of gorilla-faced super villain lifting Spiderman up over a defeated Thing

\:\) Great description of one of my all-time favourite characters.

I would love to get my hands on every single 70s issue of the Defenders, X-men, Avengers, F4, Invaders and Marvel Two-in One. But the 70s pence Defenders and X-men are always top priority to me.

A couple more complete pence copy runs you might concentrate on, which were very popular with British kids in the 70s, are the McGregor / Russell Killravens (Amazing Adventures) and Starlin's Strange Tales / Warlock books. Starlin's Captain Marvel run is interrupted, some of the later issues being Non Distributed - 32 and 33, from memory.

#5183276 - 10/26/11 10:46 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: EwanUK]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Speaking of London, I was lucky enough to visit the original Forbidden Planet 1 & 2 in Denmark Street in probably 1985 or 1986? Nothing like the corporate monster we have these days...

Douglas Adams & Nick Landau (Tharg)
looks at all those 12p Marvel pence variants in the rack!

For a northern kid with limited access to American comic books, this store was an amazing, eye-opening experience. Between 1979 and 1981 I 'took a day off from school' several times to go down to London to visit it.

#5183682 - 10/26/11 01:48 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
EwanUK Offline

Odyssey was expensive, as was Skyrack but that evening in November 1987 (?) when Alan Moore was at Odyssey was one of my biggest comic regerts.

I had just had an operation on my foot and couldn't walk very well so was not allowed to go

I was so gutted. For that Christmas though I did buy DKR Hardback from there. Always remember seeing X-Men 2 in there on the wall behind the counter for £20/25 thinking it was amazing.

Skyrack was very expensive and the guy there (Ron Bennett?) was a grumpy git - as a 14 year old he didn't respond fondly to me wanting to leaf through his old 2000ADs. I distinctly remember buying Watchmen no.2 there - rainy grave - rainy day...

Moore & Gibbons were very friendly and I regret selling the signed GN and smiley many years later on ebay... I then bumped into Dave Gibbons 17 years later in 2004 in Chaos City Comics in St Albans. I said "remember me from that 1987 signing!!!" He didn't. ;\)

My mum bought me the DC DKR hard-back too! It was £13. I got it for Christmas 1986 but insisted I wrap it in a mylar bag before she was allowed to wrap it!

ah fond memories

#5187610 - 10/27/11 08:27 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: gaz973]
Comicopolis Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: gaz973
My most expensive pence copy.

Expensive? It's only 9 pence.

#5188317 - 10/28/11 02:22 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Comicopolis]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

Actually that's in old money so isn't it really about 4 pence today?

Edited by nmtg9 (10/28/11 02:22 AM)

#5188862 - 10/28/11 11:10 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
Comicopolis Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

I'll give him 10 pence for it then.

#5215137 - 11/08/11 10:54 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Comicopolis]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I think it's a great idea to add a second pence variant run to an existing cent collection but, as a keen, young British collector in the 70s, actually having to rely on distributed All-Colour Comics could prove very frustrating.  I do have a natural inclination to prefer sameness and predictability, and so I hated it when, avidly looking forward to the next month's instalment in a storyline,  a book I was following was suddenly, unexpectedly absent from the newsstands.

Take the New X- Men, as a good example.

-- The first pence copy I bought was issue 97, and I couldn't get hold of GS XM 1 and issues 94 and 95, all Non-Distributed.  I didn't appreciate this because I was already a fan of Dave Cockrum by way of his earlier Legion work.

Patchy distribution seemed to interfere with key storylines on this title...

--  issue 107 ND, 108 pence (Shi'ar /Imperial Guard)

-- issue 120 pence, 121 ND (first Alpha Flight)

-- issues in the Dark Phoenix Saga all pence, except 137, the finale - ND

-- issue 141 pence, 142 ND (Days of Future Past)

X-Men 121 's non-appearance over here was the tipping point event that made me finally decide to switch over completely to advance-imported cent copies and their greater reliability -  albeit at a price, of course.

#5215763 - 11/08/11 03:43 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: kahnadah]
kahnadah Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Leatherhead Surrey England
 Originally Posted By: kahnadah
I had these, but sold them:
James

Can't edit, but I deleted the pics. \:\( I've started collecting Pence issues again, so please ignore my previous post.

Brad McCrimmon - 29 March 1959 – 7 September 2011
Thanks Sarge!

#5217477 - 11/09/11 12:50 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: kahnadah]
Warlord Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Is every book in this thread so far a Marvel? Where are all the samples of DC pence copies? Let me fix that with a nice run of Brave and the Bold!

#5217520 - 11/09/11 01:09 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: kahnadah]
The Collectinator

One thing i must say- by the early 80s, the pence issues just lost their special appeal when Marvel replaced the "Marvel all colour comics" banner with that of the standard "Marvel Comics Group". There weren't much difference anymore!

#5217539 - 11/09/11 01:35 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Warlord]
The Collectinator

Originally Posted By: Warlord
Where are all the samples of DC pence copies? Let me fix that with a nice run of Brave and the Bold!

I just loved the cover of #151 and that together with #175 are the 2 pence issues i have of the series.

I don't particularly care much about DC pence but for their horror titles that are something else altogether with a pence prizing on them. Nuff said already

#5217780 - 11/09/11 09:04 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Warlord]
Whizzer Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Honest Town
Aparo

For some reason my B&B run stops in the mid seventies. Looking at those covers, this is a situation which I need to remedy hm

"I am playing all the right notes...just not necessarily in the right order" - Eric Morecombe.

http://Www.ltd-edition-comix.com

#5218601 - 11/09/11 03:31 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Whizzer]
Deanokeeno Offline
I am gonna miss that car.

Loc: Blighty
Why is it that Jim Aparo doesn't ever seem to get the credit he deserves. For me he is THE Batman artist.
\(worship\)

#5219217 - 11/09/11 07:08 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Whizzer]
Warlord Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I chatted briefly with MH Chuck at this year's Mid Ohio Con. One thing we talked about was pence variants. He echoed much of what's been said in this thread about the low print runs and scarcity in higher grades. Then he shared his opinion about the population of DC pence variants being sooo much scarcer than the Marvel pence issues. Have to admit, although I've never considered it, that sure seems to be the case if you judge by what's posted in this thread.

Also not definitive but interesting - do a search on ebay for pence+marvel and you get 48 hits, do the same for DC and you get 0 hits. \:o Sure, the difference could be attributed to a lot of factors, but that is a pretty surprising result to get a total DC shut out!

#5219680 - 11/09/11 09:34 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Warlord]
BrianR Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Warlord

I chatted briefly with MH Chuck at this year's Mid Ohio Con. One thing we talked about was pence variants. He echoed much of what's been said in this thread about the low print runs and scarcity in higher grades. Then he shared his opinion about the population of DC pence variants being sooo much scarcer than the Marvel pence issues. Have to admit, although I've never considered it, that sure seems to be the case if you judge by what's posted in this thread.

Also not definitive but interesting - do a search on ebay for pence+marvel and you get 48 hits, do the same for DC and you get 0 hits. \:o Sure, the difference could be attributed to a lot of factors, but that is a pretty surprising result to get a total DC shut out!

Look up the individual titles and use key words like UK or British. You will find them. 99% of my focus is on Marvel titles hence that is what I post. I am sure they are harder to find, but if there was more demand like Marvel I am sure more would pop up.

#5220239 - 11/10/11 06:42 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
r100comics Offline

I think it's a great idea to add a second pence variant run to an existing cent collection but, as a keen, young British collector in the 70s, actually having to rely on distributed All-Colour Comics could prove very frustrating.  I do have a natural inclination to prefer sameness and predictability, and so I hated it when, avidly looking forward to the next month's instalment in a storyline,  a book I was following was suddenly, unexpectedly absent from the newsstands.

Take the New X- Men, as a good example.

-- The first pence copy I bought was issue 97, and I couldn't get hold of GS XM 1 and issues 94 and 95, all Non-Distributed.  I didn't appreciate this because I was already a fan of Dave Cockrum by way of his earlier Legion work.

Patchy distribution seemed to interfere with key storylines on this title...

--  issue 107 ND, 108 pence (Shi'ar /Imperial Guard)

-- issue 120 pence, 121 ND (first Alpha Flight)

-- issues in the Dark Phoenix Saga all pence, except 137, the finale - ND

-- issue 141 pence, 142 ND (Days of Future Past)

X-Men 121 's non-appearance over here was the tipping point event that made me finally decide to switch over completely to advance-imported cent copies and their greater reliability -  albeit at a price, of course.

Great analysis.

If you'd been willing to pay in 1975, which venues could you have picked up imported copies of X-Men 94 and GSX 1 from ? hm

#5220359 - 11/10/11 09:23 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: r100comics]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

If you'd been willing to pay in 1975, which venues could you have picked up imported copies of X-Men 94 and GSX 1 from ? hm

1975, I was 11 years old, buying from the bus station newsstand, had no LCS to go to and wasn't aware of any mail order source or that comic marts were being held fairly close by in Manchester city centre, nor even of anyone else who collected. \(shrug\)  Complete vacuum, really, and I had absolutely  no chance of picking up GS XM 1, XM 94 or 95.

I acquired my first ND,  issue 95, a couple of years later when a local book shop started selling advance imports and back issues.  I think I paid 75p for it, which, despite being a very nice copy, was possibly  a little steep for the time.

I don't recall seeing an actual GS XM 1 or XM 94 until 1980, on one of my schooltime visits to the original FP in London.

#5220400 - 11/10/11 09:51 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Warlord]
Ken Aldred Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I wish I'd kept my pence copies of the Englehart / Rogers Detective Comics run. \:\(

Their Mister Miracle run was great as well, and the Gerber / Golden issues which followed on from it.

#5222724 - 11/11/11 12:50 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
Warlord Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I am sure they are harder to find, but if there was more demand like Marvel I am sure more would pop up.

Yeah, that's one of those factors that is likely to influence search results.

#5222732 - 11/11/11 12:56 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Warlord]
Warlord Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Searching for Bronze age Comics

10 results found for
dc (pence,uk,british)

223 results found for
marvel (pence,uk,british)

\:o

#5222917 - 11/11/11 06:41 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Warlord]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

As I was growing up in the late 70's and early 80's I remember more Marvel than DC in the newsagents shops (every newsagent had an abundance of comics back then ).

Maybe DC were not as popular over here - remember we did not have them in any great amount until the late fifties, so British readers of that age did not have a big history with the original golden age issues (there were reprints and annuals etc. though).

When the Marvel age started British fans could get on board from day one so could invest more emotionally with title. As a result more Marvel were bought over here so more Marvel were printed. Hence less pence DC's available now.

Just a theory. \(shrug\)

#5222993 - 11/11/11 08:34 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
Comicopolis Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

The fact that Marvel had their own British reprints published on a weekly bases helped to get some of those buyers/collectors into buying the American originals. DC missed the boat there.

#5223336 - 11/11/11 11:13 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: BrianR]
Juswuh Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: Liverpool, England
I think that for a long time DC books were just rubber-stamped with the British price when they got here.

#5255158 - 11/25/11 08:30 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: OveraboundingMint]
ComicVein Offline
Collector is an understatement.

Loc: Sunshine State

#5292533 - 12/10/11 08:37 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: ComicVein]
Waylander Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Olde Jersey
Hey Guys,

I thought I would add a X-Men #1 British pence variant for you to see.

Cheers,

Waylander

And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend

Warning, Spoiler:

#5294775 - 12/11/11 03:31 AM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Waylander]
nmtg9 Offline
Chatzilla

That is gorgeous Waylander.

Is there a story behind buying it? What grade you you give it?

there is only one above 6.5 in the census and 2 at 6.0

#5295432 - 12/11/11 01:27 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Waylander]
etanick Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Sarasota
gorgeous copy. Hard to tell from the scan but that looks in the 8.0 or better range.

I wished the pence books are treated more like the price variant that they are so they can command a premium. It is a shame really that they are selling at a discount.

I adore this copy for quite sometimes.
http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?...%3DCB&id=874792

#5295479 - 12/11/11 01:56 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: nmtg9]
Waylander Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Olde Jersey
That is gorgeous Waylander.

Is there a story behind buying it? What grade you you give it?

there is only one above 6.5 in the census and 2 at 6.0

Thank you for the kind comments.

I bought the comic back in 2001 completely on a whim. In the London that use to hold comic 'gatherings' where sellers would show their wares. They use to be in Camden or central London. I bought this one in central London. I walked in with about £150 to spend. I saw the comic and decided 'Hey I want it.' Which was completely out of character, especially when, at the time, I only wanted to collect from issue 94 upwards (oh and at the time no wife or kids) . So, ultimately, I left the show with my #1 in hand and only the cash in my pocket to last me until the next pay day.

Regarding grade - I would have graded it as 6.5 - 7.0 but there some marvel chipping and I have been told the graders at CGC do not like marvel chipping - so it may get down graded to 5.5 - which is a huge shame. Since I bought the #1, I have completed my 2 - 10 but all cents, so undecided whether in the future to change my #1.

I do have many pence British 'variant' bronze X-men as I was based in UK. For the bronze comics, I will probably double up with cents issues, going back, depends on funds.

Thanks again,

Waylander

\(thumbs u
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend

Warning, Spoiler:

#5337607 - 12/30/11 12:30 PM Re: British Pence Variants [Re: Ken Aldred]
the blob Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

\:\) Unlikely. Before I started collecting properly, all I could find were pence copies from news stands, and I used to read them over and over again, carelessly, like most kids would do anywhere. The only outlet in town that I bought comics from at this stage was the bus station kiosk, so the books were often exposed to the North West's damp climate, and well thumbed through - not much in UHG available from that source. I eventually moved on to buying pence copies from an indoor market stall that got in a single, bundled mixture of comics each month, containing just one copy of each distributed Marvel and DC book, some Harveys and Charltons as well. Once again, the odds of obtaining every issue of a title I collected, month in, month out, in absolutely top notch condition, weren't exactly great. \:\(

buying comics from a newstand in the northeast united states would present similar problems

Page all of 12 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, Harshen, cgcmod3-migration, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1, PaulS., ccgmod2-migration, Bree 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
IMPORTANT - NGC Chat Boards Upgrade Starting Today
by dena
02/06/17 09:19 AM
Moderns on e-bay
by Six Mile Rick
02/05/17 04:47 PM
New Ebay Listings - Nickels and Half Dollars - More Added
by RWW
02/04/17 11:30 PM
GreatCollections - New Coin Auctions - 1891-CC GSA NGC MS-64, 1875-CC 20c MS-66
by ianrussell
02/04/17 11:32 AM
Comics Marketplace
Art For Sale: Cockrum Breyfogle, Rogers, Jones, Smith
by The Magus1976
02/06/17 10:00 AM
IMPORTANT - CGC Chat Boards Upgrade Starting Today
by dena
02/06/17 09:13 AM
by dena
02/06/17 09:12 AM
by dena
02/06/17 09:11 AM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.037 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

125 x 125 - Geppi's Entertainment Museum IDW Publishing