• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

Posted these in a Labor Day thread in General, but figured they might like it here, too. Labor-related promotional comic books...

A couple promo comics from Social Security, one from Sonoma County, and one from the Catechetical Guild.

115281.jpg.a99d6f53bdeff416e0a6a5ba4077c2d6.jpg

115282.jpg.1df366f7b9c581eace4b5126f063df47.jpg

115283.jpg.5ad556bbe5dfcded7999f4b6ead1706a.jpg

115284.jpg.d27eaeb34131c9f1eaf9c27c14a75715.jpg

George Hagenauer had the original art to the Canyon: Strictly for the Smart Birds promo for sale at a Chicago show a couple of years back. It's actually not by Caniff but it was nice to hold in your hand and check out.

Some of my favorite freebies in a group shot:
Those are some great ones!
Could I, please, get a museum grade scan of that "United States" comic in the approx. center of that photo?

Looks like the deadly infection of this here-to-for unknown strain of Regionalism can be traced back to this(?)

Does Regionalism Exist in the US? :jokealert:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5048622&fpart=1

Thx ever so much. *back in a sec*

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/11/2727/large-your_united_states.jpg

MrBedrock

TOTAL NEWBIE - Registered: 02/21/03 - Posts: 13898 - Loc: Home of the Astros

BB-Gun

FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5267/5603302601_4ff0e0a296_b.jpg

Does Regionalism Exist in the US?Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5048622&fpart=15

Edited by Stoic Man

This item didn't receive any love in the Cigar-GA thread but perhaps it will in the promo thread.

This is a large poster (56" x 42") advertising the promotional comic book "Alaska Bush Pilot" from 1959. I doubt there are many still in existence and perhaps this is the only one.

As far as the comic itself, Heritage has only sold one copy back in 2005. You can usually find one on ebay and they are not very expensive, perhaps $100 - $150 for the better conditioned copies. I don't know where Heritage got its information from so I can't verify the story but I think there are more than 28 surviving copies.

The Heritage auction description read:

Alaska Bush Pilot #1 (Jan Enterprises, 1959) CGC MT 9.9 Off-white to white pages. Here's a promotional comic for the collector who thought he had everything! We'd be remiss if we didn't recount this comic's backstory: the entire print run of 100 copies was found at a defunct printer's shop in Portland, Oregon, and 72 of them were water-damaged or otherwise unsalvageable. So here's one of the 28 surviving copies, and you certainly won't find one in a nicer grade! Not listed in Overstreet.

My CGC 9.8 copy is below.

DSCN3407-1.jpg

Alaska.jpg

This is a super rare Lev Gleason giveaway booklet. The guy I bought it from said in his 40 years of collecting golden age, he has never seen another one. It has no comics. It is all text but the back cover is cool, mentioning some of Lev's comics.

crooks001.jpg

This is a super rare Lev Gleason giveaway booklet. The guy I bought it from said in his 40 years of collecting golden age, he has never seen another one. It has no comics. It is all text but the back cover is cool, mentioning some of Lev's comics.

Hi Bo,

if it was the copy auctioned on eBay I thought about bidding on it, but then I gave up, I’m glad I didn’t, otherwise I would have uselessly raised your price… :)

I think these books are rare, but less rare than what one might think. Simple reason is that people very likely looks for comics-related things along comics' venues, while those are books, and thus more likely to be found in bookstores or antiquary book portals.

I started my interest in golden age thanks to Lev Gleason and Charles Biro’s Daredevil. Would you mind, just in case, describe the booklet's content for me in case I deepen the research with the Crime books (not in my current plans, now I am more on the war-related things)?

Nice pickup, anyway! :)

Six years ago in this thread I said I'd start posting some of my books. Then you go to the store for a carton of milk and things just get away from you...

I'll start with these very familiar JC Penneys, because that's where a fascination with promos/giveaways began for me. When I first opened Our United States to the page on Alabama - The Cotton State, with its tiny detailed panels filled with information, it instantly brought me back to my grade school days and the reports I did on various states. It was a very nostalgic rush. And of course Penney "designed and printed it as a gift for our young customers", distributing it to be used by over 3 million school children. A crass exercise in branding in 1949? Perhaps. I like to think it's more about this:

"We are proud to present this State-by-State story of the land you live in. As you look over these pages, think about what a truly great country the United States is, and you'll realize how fortunate you are to be living in the "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave" - where everyone has an opportunity to realize his hopes, his dreams, his ambitions."

So I'll begin my contribution here with a few of these gems that celebrate our home. God bless America.

OurUSf100_zps1205f5a6.jpg

50Yearsf100_zpsbd95cd70.jpg

Of course we all know this beauty - it got Wertham's attention. At least four different versions of this book were distributed, three of which appear to have been intended to assist publisher Fred Danner obtain or retain public office. Although Overstreet lists Lloyd Jacquet studios as the publisher, these books suggest that perhaps Jacquet's studios simply provided the content for Danner Press publishing. The lack of a cover price and the explicit notation on one of the versions indicating that this was given away by Fred Danner define this as a promotional book, listed incorrectly in the main section of the Guide.

Here's what Wertham had to say about this comic book, on pages 309-310 of SOTI:

Typical is one called "Your United States". It devotes one page to each state and, although on bad paper and as smudgily printed as the others, it really contains some instructive information. But practically every state, although it gets only one page, has a scene of violence; if one doesn't, that is made up for in other states where there are two or three such scenes. For instance, a man hanged from a tree by a "vigilance committee"; Negroes in chains; corpses and dying men; a girl tied to a tree, her bound wrists above her head, her skirt blowing up in the wind and a coy facial expression of fright as in a sadist's dream; a girl about to be raped or massacred. Is that what you want your children to think is the history of "Your United States"?

YourUSf100_zpsbaa4a71a.jpg