• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Threatening PM's.
3 3

767 posts in this topic

Grandfather-in existing members.

This is a good idea, but I would be happy to pay a small fee to use the boards..whether it was a one time thing or annual is for others to decide. I would be willing to bet that a $10-20 fee for each new account created would discourage most of the shills and troublemakers. 2c

So, the majority should pay for the transgressions/immaturity/insanity of a relatively few?

hm

I'm thinking...no.

Grandfather-in existing members.

This is a good idea, but I would be happy to pay a small fee to use the boards..whether it was a one time thing or annual is for others to decide. I would be willing to bet that a $10-20 fee for each new account created would discourage most of the shills and troublemakers. 2c

So, the majority should pay for the transgressions/immaturity/insanity of a relatively few?

hm

I'm thinking...no.

Why would you be opposed to a one time $10 fee to join up? It could go a long way to making this a better place.

I think personally, that Cal has a valid point. It is a little exclusionary but allowing people who actually use the services of the company to post here (nothing would prevent people from reading) would greatly reduce the riff raff, drive by postings, spam etc.

That's not to say that there wouldn't be any trouble with the system if it was harder to post on here but it would allow people who are truly serious about the product to discuss the product rather than just have an open door and no accountability.

It would also keep people from doing stuff that they normally do under complete anonymity.

There's certainly advantages to a stricter policy.

Perhaps there should be a nominal membership fee to join the Boards with CGC holding each Boards member's credit card on file.

Finally - voices of reason instead of silencing the messenger

CAL getting more and more determined

I think personally, that Cal has a valid point. It is a little exclusionary but allowing people who actually use the services of the company to post here (nothing would prevent people from reading) would greatly reduce the riff raff, drive by postings, spam etc.

That's not to say that there wouldn't be any trouble with the system if it was harder to post on here but it would allow people who are truly serious about the product to discuss the product rather than just have an open door and no accountability.

It would also keep people from doing stuff that they normally do under complete anonymity.

Perhaps there should be a nominal membership fee to join the Boards with CGC holding each Boards member's credit card on file.

How about a mandatory psych eval while we're at it?

You just made "The List". Welcome.

I've been on "The List" for years :acclaim:

Would it be OK to submit the one I've already had? :insane:

The boards exist for one reason and one reason only....To promote the use and sale of CGC related products. Period.

They are not going to restrict its access by charging a fee or by asking for a credit card. They want every comic person everywhere to see what they do and hear these discussions about slabs and their values in hopes of increasing sales.

Think about the Sales forum. Where else on the internet can you buy and sell such high dollar book without some sort of fee assesed to either the buyer or seller or both.

I would be shocked if there were not discussions within CGC at some point to try and get a piece of that pie. They have chosen not to because the good will and publicity they get from those sales threads is worth more to them.

Yes, it's a great community and all but only as long as it serves a business purpose for our hosts. They police it as well as they can with as little overhead as they can and they count on 'us' to do the rest. And I think 'we' do a pretty good job.

My apologies. So hard to keep up with it. I wish it would be published.

From 2007

Updated

The List

Shootydog

Park

Trmoore54

The Brain

Ze-man

Lizards-2

shadrock

ArAich

moonlite

pirate

Doctor Watson

OldGuy

Pontoon

cd4ever

bhhooks22

october

divad

arexcrooke

I don't understand why you guys feel threatened by PMS.

Perhaps you should feed her chocolate and take her to chick flicks.

From 2007

Updated

The List

Shootydog

Park

Trmoore54

The Brain

Ze-man

Lizards-2

shadrock

ArAich

moonlite

pirate

Doctor Watson

OldGuy

Pontoon

cd4ever

bhhooks22

october

divad

arexcrooke

uh, Trmoore54, cd4ever, divad, arexcrooke should not be on " The List". Those 4 CGCers have treated me well, and if they were put on ' The List" for some mild banter, they are oficially hereby removed by decree.

sign the certified "New List" w/ out the four good guys:

CAL the owner of " The List"

Ide pay to join..Even if it was a small amount, that would detour most people that just get on here to harass others.

I would be willing to pay in the range of $500 - 700 per year to post here. I am very sure, 99.99% sure, that if it cost that much to be here with purpose of partaking of the CGC services, I would not get flamed at all. I would not be insulted, cursed at, mocked, ridiculed, or anything negative. Heck, I would spend much more time here and it would be great to treated well, instead of defending and watching my every character typed. Respect does wonders, the nay-sayers and haters could learn from that one, now-obsolete-in-modern-times-word: RESPECT.

The anti-cgcers do NOT respect the company, they do NOT respect the Dealers here, they do NOT respect those who try to keep the peace here; they choose sides, and await anonymously to take their shots. You all know they do.

One of the best pieces of advice my Father ever gave me was: " You are judged by the company you keep". When I see certain Boardies defend those who are extremely disrespectful, that tells me a lot of the entire story, andf combine that with their ACTUAL BUSINESS PRACTICES, particularly eBay( like it or not, eBay IS the largest venue where the comics are traded), I easliy figured out who was who. Sure, a few of the anti-CGCers trade bits and pieces, but there are no Major Dealers that ever got on here and defamed other dealers that I know of. I receieved many a PM from those who would defend xyz, having the unmitigated gall and nerve( this is what the Internet's current anonymous usage downfall will be) to tell me that xyz is " a great guy once you get to know him, she is not that way, she just had a bad day, yadda yadda".

This is the bottom line:

If you can't afford pricey funny books, get another hobby. I saw someone post recently, this chap apparently did not like my idea about the paid membership, " I can't afford it". How is his not being able to afford it my problem? Designer Toast posts: " I never had anyone send ME a Threatening PM"... Designer Toast was not around in the beginning of the grading era, where most of the arrows were shot from the trolls'/Anti-CGCers' bows. Designer Toast is NOT a Major Dealer, or if he is, he is the best kept-dealer I wished someone told me about( he is a great guy all-in all).

Another posts somethig about "getting young readers in here" or something close to this. This CGC site is about the ALREADY FINISHED PRODUCTS from several decades ago. It was THEIR job( the publishers) to win readership and the benefits of hand-me-down the great Americana culture that is comic books. Not CGC's job, nor is it our job. If they truly love this hoby like many here SAY they do, they will naturally find this place just like a Beatles fan can still find Beatles items on other sites.

The REAL reason a paid-membership would add credibility and stop the anonymous garbage that goes on here: the credit card has Identity attached to it.

Then SKY posts: " Oh my - someone could steal my credit card and still post anonymously". Sorry SKY, you have woven your way very well here and have many ears here but your post smacks of another lame cop-out; does not pass the smell test. You have already excluded my ideas and my REASONS for my ideas for other purposes; you are not willing to give this a try. Why would you? If you love xyz, and others so much, which may or may not be good for you, I don't know, but you could trade actual phone numbers and emails and stay in touch with them that way.

To allow Threats, innuendos, libel, slander, defamation, insults, ridicule, in my mind, is to condone said actions. It should NOT be based on like or dislike, it should be agreed upon the members, the serious members, to stop the nonsense. That includes the two-faced ones here who play nice, then PM others on what theiR object of resentment/envy/hate has done or said/posted. That went on over on ebay Chat, and that spilled over here. Do not PM me later to tell me the lie that it does not happen here, now. It does. If my Questions about the Silver Surfer at the Long Beach Comic Con are all over the board the NEXT FREAKIN' DAY I know that the PMing for alerting purposes goes on. If you really don't like my TRUTH of FACTS, just don't respond, a great choice if you really are one who does not want to keep stirring the pot.

99% riled up CAL :sumo:

Edited by Calamerica

Cal,

Your idea is a good one, but not at $500-$700 -- that's really cost prohibitive, and too many people would just move somewhere else to have the same discussions.

Now, if you made a requirement for registration being an associate member of the collector's society, that I could see. There has to be a benefit beyond simply posting here. Providing the services of the collector's society is probably a good idea.

But in principle, I think your idea is a really good one.