• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project: Sugar and Spike
4 4

541 posts in this topic

I have always liked this series. If you have never read an issue, you really miss out on the genius of Sheldon Mayer, both artistically and his writing. Finding issues in nice shape can be a real challenge due to the fact that they were mostly marketed towards kids plus they weren't seen as collectible till long after the series was over.

Once in awhile I see a nice issue and I pick it up. I have decided to only go after high grade issues (VF or better). I will post my new acquisitions as I get them. You may go awhile between updates, my progress has been slow.

I will start by posting the ones I have already.

You'll like, Sugar and Spike!

I remember enjoying this series as a little kid, when my tastes ran more towards Harvey humor than superhero books. The early Scribbly strips with Ma Hunkle as The Red Tornado are Mayer at his best ( reprinted in the Smithsonian Comic Book Book).

Beautiful copies - from what I've heard, acquiring a run in VF and better could be a life-long pursuit.

Great new thread, Silver!

I noticed the long runs of this title for sale from the Savannah Collection and thought about trying to buy a bunch of them. Then I saw a same CGC graded issue from the Boston run and by comparison it made the Savannah copy look dull so I left them alone.

I am most envious about your Rudolph run...!

I have won one Savannah copy, and to my knowledge it may have the most high grade copies of any pedigree, certainly deeper than the Oakland run. Whover the buyers of the Savannah's are, in some case they have paid huge prices, which I simply won't do. They can duke it out for the 9.4/9.6's and I will buy 8.5's and 9.0 when I can.

Since you brought it up, here is my most recent addition. Black cover, white pages :cloud9:

sas37cgc.jpg

I have always liked this series. If you have never read an issue, you really miss out on the genius of Sheldon Mayer, both artistically and his writing. Finding issues in nice shape can be a real challenge due to the fact that they were mostly marketed towards kids plus they weren't seen as collectible till long after the series was over.

Once in awhile I see a nice issue and I pick it up. I have decided to only go after high grade issues (VF or better). I will post my new acquisitions as I get them. You may go awhile between updates, my progress has been slow.

I will start by posting the ones I have already.

You'll like, Sugar and Spike!

Good man! I can say just about the same about the Fox and the Crow title.

(thumbs u

This next one I bought at a San Diego Comic Con, probably like 1989 or 90, in the old convention center. I bought this from Gary Carter for $10...sigh. Why didn't I buy the other issues he had....

sas71.jpg

And why was Gary selling them?

:o

...in some case they have paid huge prices, which I simply won't do. They can duke it out for the 9.4/9.6's and I will buy 8.5's and 9.0 when I can.

Most of that too is ego. Two or three fellows each determined to own the "best" certified copy, regardless of whether it looks the best to their own eyes.

Me, I buy books that look nice enough to me.

rantrant

Edited by Hepcat