Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#4994206 - 08/08/11 12:41 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Jeffro]
Brian48 Online   offline
Chatzilla

Loc: People's Republic of Boston, M...
In this regard, I like what Beckett does for their baseball, football, etc.. annual price guides. If a card is too low in population to really gauge a value, they simply say no data is available due to scarcity, however they may add a footnote if a documented sale took place. They would never count it towards any list of top ten cards or whatever. It's considered an oddball item.
Yeah, I sort of like early Bronze Age Bats. And by Crom, Conan doesn't get the loving he deserves these days.

#4994225 - 08/08/11 12:51 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Jeffro]
chrisco37 Offline

I think mine is coming up soon

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Caltopia
 Originally Posted By: Jeffro
Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Yep.

#4994245 - 08/08/11 01:00 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: chrisco37]
Jeffro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Collecting Pernts
 Originally Posted By: chrisco37
Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Yep.

Isn't there a pre-Action 1 comic out there that has an ad for Action Comics 1? hm

#4994277 - 08/08/11 01:12 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Jeffro]
Bronty Offline

You know that guy that shows up an hour early for parties? Yah. I'm him.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Canada

Yup. That and the long-ago incorrect notation by overstreet as the first appearance.

Although also the extreme rarity, the cool eastman & laird work.

#4994346 - 08/08/11 01:58 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Jeffro]
Bronzed Jbone Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: National Park NJ
 Originally Posted By: bronzejonny
If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

Nope. I'd go with gobbledy so I could sell it, buy a Hulk 181 with the profits and still have some left over.

+1

#5001285 - 08/10/11 08:44 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Jeffro]
DailySuperpower Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
 Originally Posted By: chrisco37

Yep.

Isn't there a pre-Action 1 comic out there that has an ad for Action Comics 1? hm

New Adventure Comics #26 and #27 have ads for Action #1. #26 is pre-Action #1, #27 was released at the same time.

There's a 2.5 New Adventure #27 on CLink right now that I would guess will go for between $4K-$6K

Edited by DailySuperpower (08/10/11 08:50 PM)
Edit Reason: revised prediction

#5001537 - 08/10/11 10:05 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: DailySuperpower]
bronzejonny Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

And we don't see it getting the kind of fame and recognition that Gobbledygook 1 receives!

#5001542 - 08/10/11 10:05 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: DailySuperpower]
rabidwolf Offline
Talkative?

Loc: California
For most TMNT fans, this is a grail. not only because of the TMNT 1 ad but also because of the early work by Eastman and Laird. But the biggest reason is there were only 50 made.

Daredevil 2-5 CGC 9.6 or better
Daredevil 6 CGC 9.8
Daredevil 8 CGC 9.8

Ninja Turtles 1 1st print (any condition)
Comixpress mouse guard 1

#5004426 - 08/11/11 10:23 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: rabidwolf]
TMNT Offline
Talkative?

Loc: The Sewer
 Originally Posted By: rabidwolf
For most TMNT fans, this is a grail. not only because of the TMNT 1 ad but also because of the early work by Eastman and Laird. But the biggest reason is there were only 50 made.

Also, keep in mind this (along with Gobbledy #2) was the FIRST published book from Mirage Studios, the company that would create the TMNT that would lead to a worldwide pop culture phenomenon and the number #1 Copper Age book. That's some hefty history there. And while its no Marvel #1 or DC #1, etc. as far as first offerings from publishing houses, it still does have the full outside back cover ad for TMNT #1 (not just some small, inner blurb), features the first appearance of the Fugitoid which was a major character in the TMNT universe (and ties in heavily to early Turtles stories), plus only 50 were made, hand made. Until these last couple years, legit copies were near mythical, and with demand very high for the above reasons (and probably others), it only makes sense it's so highly valued.

#5012442 - 08/15/11 03:01 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: TMNT]
Bronty Offline

You know that guy that shows up an hour early for parties? Yah. I'm him.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: TMNT
 Originally Posted By: rabidwolf

Also, keep in mind this (along with Gobbledy #2) was the FIRST published book from Mirage Studios

If it doesn't have a cover price, was it intended for sale? If it wasn't intended for sale can we say it was distributed and/or published in the normal way? I love these little books but I think they are more early-career giveaways / promo pieces than published books. Any thoughts?

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Gold Coins for sale All NGC PF 70's $ to chose From ! LOOK
by Paul Kiraly 3
44 minutes 18 seconds ago
FS: 1947 S Philippines Fifty Centavo Mint State Toned
by Doily
Today at 10:40 AM
WTB-Top Pop 21st Century coins.
by Kapimono
Yesterday at 08:48 PM
1924-S/S SLQ 25C RARE CONTEMPORY COUNERFEIT
by carnellrules3
Yesterday at 04:34 PM
Comics Marketplace
Spend your NM98 Sales $$ on this Death of Superman LOT!! + X-Force 2!
by Revat
6 minutes 27 seconds ago
Captain America 25 (Civil War) Death of Cap
by Robodog
12 minutes 35 seconds ago
The new collection sell off
by Shadow Images
37 minutes 22 seconds ago
NYCC greetings, sales, and WTB's
by staffman
53 minutes 59 seconds ago
Advertisements

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing