Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#4965169 - 07/27/11 09:19 PM Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really?
bronzejonny Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

So according to the latest edition of the OSPG, the most valuable Copper Age book, Gobbledygook 1, is more valuable than any of the top BA keys (at the 9.2 level). So it's fair to say that a book with a print run of what- 50? and has a photo of the TMNTs on the back cover is more valuable than Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant)? Hulk 181? GL 76?

This also appears to be the only instance where the top key from a later age is more valuable than the best key from the age preceding it. Here's the Overstreet ranking from most valuable key/age to least valuable key/age:

1) Golden Age - Action Comics 1
2) Silver Age - Amazing Fantasy 15

(no issue as to 1st and 2nd rankings)

3) Copper Age - Gobbledygook 1
4) Bronze Age - Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant)

The best of Copper above Bronze?

Really Mr. Overstreet?

John

#4965211 - 07/27/11 09:33 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Gatsby77 Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Washington, DC
On the one hand, I can understand the logic, since Gobbledygook is much rarer than Star Wars $.35, but yeah--I'd wager the collector base for the Star Wars issue is far broader.

That's also bunk because they don't give a value for TMNT # 1. How you can give a list a value for the easier-to-counterfeit of the two and not the other, I don't get.

Also CGC Magnus Robot Fighter (Gold Key)

#4965304 - 07/27/11 09:57 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Gatsby77]
bronzejonny Offline

If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

- I just don't know how an appearance on the back cover of book qualifies as a legitimate 1st app. If this is the standard, then would Action Comics 1 be the 1st app. of Superman (which it is of course- not the advertisement that preceded it)?

It's amazing how arbitrary Overstreet is.

#4965749 - 07/28/11 12:26 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oliver!
But it's based on supply and demand. If Gobbledygook #1 was as common as Hulk #181, the Hulk #181 would win hands down. It is the tremendous scarcity of the GG that brings it up to that level, AND it is tied to the single most important book of the entire Copper age. It is at just that right level of scarce and in demand that it carries that value. If there were only 10, it would essentially be uncollectable, and probably wouldn't be as valuable (strange, but true.)

I have never thought Gobbledygook should get the dollars it does, but the market doesn't agree.

"The CGC Message Board - dismissing actual research in favor of fuzzy memories since 2002."

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

#4968981 - 07/29/11 12:45 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
Gatsby77 Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

Loc: Washington, DC
Good point that with "only 10," it might as well be uncollectible.

I like the Superman Bradman comic, but with only 30 copies out there, I don't think it will ever be widely-known enough to show stable long-term growth.

Rather, the each successive sale within a short period of time will likely go down as the former sale takes a bidder out of the equation. See also Bloodshot 0 platinum.

With the Bradman, a CGC 8.0 sold on eBay for $2,000. then a CGC 9.6 shows up less than a year later and sells for only $2,600.

Personally, I think TMNT # 1 is the biggest book of the 1980s, while the Gobbledygooks are curiosities. Same reason that Star Wars 1 ($.35) will likely always outstrip Iron Fist 14 ($.35) in value--there are what, only 50 known copies of the Iron Fist book vs. hundreds of the Star Wars 1?

Also CGC Magnus Robot Fighter (Gold Key)

#4969035 - 07/29/11 01:14 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Gatsby77]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

There is a tipping point in the balance between absolute scarcity and demand. It's not the same for every book (or other collectibles), but it's somewhere around 10-50 or so examples known.

There are a ton of books that are far more scarce than Action #1, and even with the overwhelming factor of Supes, they still only sell for a tiny fraction of Action #1.

Look at the Maxx ashcans. People give up on collecting them because there are 2-3 of the 12 that are complete stoppers. They just don't appear anywhere for sale, at any price. You can't buy what isn't available.

"The CGC Message Board - dismissing actual research in favor of fuzzy memories since 2002."

#4969165 - 07/29/11 01:52 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Grails]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Grails
 Originally Posted By: RockMyAmadeus

Look at the Maxx ashcans. People give up on collecting them because there are 2-3 of the 12 that are complete stoppers. They just don't appear anywhere for sale, at any price. You can't buy what isn't available.

Sure I can! 2/3 of the Maxx Black ashcans are available right now on ebay from CosmicSupra or ColonicSuture? or something like that. I'm loading my lowball offers right now...

lol

Thanks, buddy. ;\) That made my day.

#4990047 - 08/06/11 05:07 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
bronzejonny Offline

Think about this: A Copper Age book that has an advertisement for the TMNT is more valuable than any Bronze Age key.

#4994147 - 08/08/11 12:04 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Jeffro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: CT
 Originally Posted By: bronzejonny
If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

Nope. I'd go with gobbledy so I could sell it, buy a Hulk 181 with the profits and still have some left over.

Some collectors would crash through a group of preschoolers then step on their own mother's throat just to buy a book off of Hitler with the hope of selling it to Satan for a few extra bucks. - topofthetotem

Leaner. Lower. Longer. (that's what she said) - Ogami

#4994151 - 08/08/11 12:07 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Jeffro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: CT
Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Some collectors would crash through a group of preschoolers then step on their own mother's throat just to buy a book off of Hitler with the hope of selling it to Satan for a few extra bucks. - topofthetotem

Leaner. Lower. Longer. (that's what she said) - Ogami

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
eBay: 5 oz ATB NGC graded, MS70 ASE, ending tomorrow night
by stldanceartist
12:53 PM
$1000, $500 and (3) $100 Bills up for sale
by TetonWarrior
11:40 PM
FS: 1795 $1 DB VF30 OGH & 1805 50c XF45
by Rayman311
08:22 AM
1950 PCGS PF-65 CAM Franklin CAC
by jimbucks
04/16/14 09:08 PM
Comics Marketplace
Astonishing Tales #25 CGC 9.6 SS
by The Resurrection
WD 108, Kingdom Come set, #1s etc. Ends Sunday
by JOEY GUNZ
WonderCon 2014 Sale! Exclusives, Comics, Funkos,Figures, Cast Signed Stuff &More
by Comic Book Guy
how about a big modern thread with keys and all sorts of hotness???
by Comicbooksgo.com
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles ComicLink - Comics & Comic Art Auctions & Exchange