Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#4965169 - 07/27/11 09:19 PM Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really?
bronzejonny Offline
The Post-man always rings twice. Uhm... ring ring?

So according to the latest edition of the OSPG, the most valuable Copper Age book, Gobbledygook 1, is more valuable than any of the top BA keys (at the 9.2 level). So it's fair to say that a book with a print run of what- 50? and has a photo of the TMNTs on the back cover is more valuable than Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant)? Hulk 181? GL 76?

This also appears to be the only instance where the top key from a later age is more valuable than the best key from the age preceding it. Here's the Overstreet ranking from most valuable key/age to least valuable key/age:

1) Golden Age - Action Comics 1
2) Silver Age - Amazing Fantasy 15

(no issue as to 1st and 2nd rankings)

3) Copper Age - Gobbledygook 1
4) Bronze Age - Star Wars 1 (35 cent variant)

The best of Copper above Bronze?

Really Mr. Overstreet?

John

#4965211 - 07/27/11 09:33 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Gatsby77 Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
On the one hand, I can understand the logic, since Gobbledygook is much rarer than Star Wars $.35, but yeah--I'd wager the collector base for the Star Wars issue is far broader.

That's also bunk because they don't give a value for TMNT # 1. How you can give a list a value for the easier-to-counterfeit of the two and not the other, I don't get.

Also CGC Magnus Robot Fighter (Gold Key)

#4965304 - 07/27/11 09:57 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Gatsby77]
bronzejonny Offline

If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

- I just don't know how an appearance on the back cover of book qualifies as a legitimate 1st app. If this is the standard, then would Action Comics 1 be the 1st app. of Superman (which it is of course- not the advertisement that preceded it)?

It's amazing how arbitrary Overstreet is.

#4965749 - 07/28/11 12:26 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Kramer v. Kramer
But it's based on supply and demand. If Gobbledygook #1 was as common as Hulk #181, the Hulk #181 would win hands down. It is the tremendous scarcity of the GG that brings it up to that level, AND it is tied to the single most important book of the entire Copper age. It is at just that right level of scarce and in demand that it carries that value. If there were only 10, it would essentially be uncollectable, and probably wouldn't be as valuable (strange, but true.)

I have never thought Gobbledygook should get the dollars it does, but the market doesn't agree.

"I'm going to say the list is biased towards collectors born yesterday." - Dr. Balls

"This is the lowest example of class that I've ever witnessed on the boards." - bronzejonny

"DESSLOK, desslok desslok,...."

#4968981 - 07/29/11 12:45 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
Gatsby77 Offline

Good point that with "only 10," it might as well be uncollectible.

I like the Superman Bradman comic, but with only 30 copies out there, I don't think it will ever be widely-known enough to show stable long-term growth.

Rather, the each successive sale within a short period of time will likely go down as the former sale takes a bidder out of the equation. See also Bloodshot 0 platinum.

With the Bradman, a CGC 8.0 sold on eBay for $2,000. then a CGC 9.6 shows up less than a year later and sells for only $2,600.

Personally, I think TMNT # 1 is the biggest book of the 1980s, while the Gobbledygooks are curiosities. Same reason that Star Wars 1 ($.35) will likely always outstrip Iron Fist 14 ($.35) in value--there are what, only 50 known copies of the Iron Fist book vs. hundreds of the Star Wars 1?

#4969035 - 07/29/11 01:14 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Gatsby77]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

There is a tipping point in the balance between absolute scarcity and demand. It's not the same for every book (or other collectibles), but it's somewhere around 10-50 or so examples known.

There are a ton of books that are far more scarce than Action #1, and even with the overwhelming factor of Supes, they still only sell for a tiny fraction of Action #1.

Look at the Maxx ashcans. People give up on collecting them because there are 2-3 of the 12 that are complete stoppers. They just don't appear anywhere for sale, at any price. You can't buy what isn't available.

"I'm going to say the list is biased towards collectors born yesterday." - Dr. Balls

"This is the lowest example of class that I've ever witnessed on the boards." - bronzejonny

#4969165 - 07/29/11 01:52 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Grails]
RockMyAmadeus Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: Grails
 Originally Posted By: RockMyAmadeus

Look at the Maxx ashcans. People give up on collecting them because there are 2-3 of the 12 that are complete stoppers. They just don't appear anywhere for sale, at any price. You can't buy what isn't available.

Sure I can! 2/3 of the Maxx Black ashcans are available right now on ebay from CosmicSupra or ColonicSuture? or something like that. I'm loading my lowball offers right now...

lol

Thanks, buddy. ;\) That made my day.

#4990047 - 08/06/11 05:07 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: RockMyAmadeus]
bronzejonny Offline

Think about this: A Copper Age book that has an advertisement for the TMNT is more valuable than any Bronze Age key.

#4994147 - 08/08/11 12:04 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Modfro Offline

Speaking as myself, I don't deserve anything.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: SABODFL
 Originally Posted By: bronzejonny
If I polled 10 collectors who collect keys from all the ages and asked them which book would they rather have in their collection: Hulk 181 or Gobbledygook 1? I'm sure they would go with Wolvie's 1st app.

Nope. I'd go with gobbledy so I could sell it, buy a Hulk 181 with the profits and still have some left over.

Jeffro
Jerkfro
Modfro
Cracker

#4994151 - 08/08/11 12:07 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Modfro Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Jeffro
Jerkfro
Modfro
Cracker

#4994206 - 08/08/11 12:41 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Modfro]
Brian48 Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: People's Republic of Boston, M...
In this regard, I like what Beckett does for their baseball, football, etc.. annual price guides. If a card is too low in population to really gauge a value, they simply say no data is available due to scarcity, however they may add a footnote if a documented sale took place. They would never count it towards any list of top ten cards or whatever. It's considered an oddball item.
Yeah, I sort of like early Bronze Age Bats. And by Crom, Conan doesn't get the loving he deserves these days.

#4994225 - 08/08/11 12:51 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Modfro]
chrisco37 Offline

I think mine is coming up soon

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Caltopia
 Originally Posted By: Jeffro
Wait a minute, Gobbledy 1 merely has an ad for TMNT? That's what's driving its value?

Yep.

#4994245 - 08/08/11 01:00 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: chrisco37]
Modfro Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: chrisco37

Yep.

Isn't there a pre-Action 1 comic out there that has an ad for Action Comics 1? hm

Jeffro
Jerkfro
Modfro
Cracker

#4994277 - 08/08/11 01:12 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Modfro]
Bronty Offline

You know that guy that shows up an hour early for parties? Yah. I'm him.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Canada

Yup. That and the long-ago incorrect notation by overstreet as the first appearance.

Although also the extreme rarity, the cool eastman & laird work.

#4994346 - 08/08/11 01:58 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Modfro]
Bronzed Jbone Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: National Park NJ
 Originally Posted By: bronzejonny

Nope. I'd go with gobbledy so I could sell it, buy a Hulk 181 with the profits and still have some left over.

+1

#5001285 - 08/10/11 08:44 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Modfro]
DailySuperpower Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
 Originally Posted By: chrisco37

Yep.

Isn't there a pre-Action 1 comic out there that has an ad for Action Comics 1? hm

New Adventure Comics #26 and #27 have ads for Action #1. #26 is pre-Action #1, #27 was released at the same time.

There's a 2.5 New Adventure #27 on CLink right now that I would guess will go for between $4K-$6K

Edited by DailySuperpower (08/10/11 08:50 PM)
Edit Reason: revised prediction

#5001537 - 08/10/11 10:05 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: DailySuperpower]
bronzejonny Offline

And we don't see it getting the kind of fame and recognition that Gobbledygook 1 receives!

#5001542 - 08/10/11 10:05 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: DailySuperpower]
rabidwolf Offline
Talkative?

Loc: California
For most TMNT fans, this is a grail. not only because of the TMNT 1 ad but also because of the early work by Eastman and Laird. But the biggest reason is there were only 50 made.

Daredevil 2-5 CGC 9.6 or better
Daredevil 6 CGC 9.8
Daredevil 8 CGC 9.8

Ninja Turtles 1 1st print (any condition)
Comixpress mouse guard 1

#5004426 - 08/11/11 10:23 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: rabidwolf]
TMNT Offline
Talkative?

Loc: The Sewer
 Originally Posted By: rabidwolf
For most TMNT fans, this is a grail. not only because of the TMNT 1 ad but also because of the early work by Eastman and Laird. But the biggest reason is there were only 50 made.

Also, keep in mind this (along with Gobbledy #2) was the FIRST published book from Mirage Studios, the company that would create the TMNT that would lead to a worldwide pop culture phenomenon and the number #1 Copper Age book. That's some hefty history there. And while its no Marvel #1 or DC #1, etc. as far as first offerings from publishing houses, it still does have the full outside back cover ad for TMNT #1 (not just some small, inner blurb), features the first appearance of the Fugitoid which was a major character in the TMNT universe (and ties in heavily to early Turtles stories), plus only 50 were made, hand made. Until these last couple years, legit copies were near mythical, and with demand very high for the above reasons (and probably others), it only makes sense it's so highly valued.

#5012442 - 08/15/11 03:01 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: TMNT]
Bronty Offline

You know that guy that shows up an hour early for parties? Yah. I'm him.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Originally Posted By: TMNT
 Originally Posted By: rabidwolf

Also, keep in mind this (along with Gobbledy #2) was the FIRST published book from Mirage Studios

If it doesn't have a cover price, was it intended for sale? If it wasn't intended for sale can we say it was distributed and/or published in the normal way? I love these little books but I think they are more early-career giveaways / promo pieces than published books. Any thoughts?

#5058002 - 09/02/11 11:18 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Bronty]
Zombikaze Offline
Hobbyist

Loc: Slower Delaware
I'm working on a complete collection of TMNT. I have #1 first print and 3rd...I want all the prints. I have 1-10 missing # 9 and 2nd and 3rd prints of the early issues. The #3 variant may be very hard and expensive but I think It is one that I can still get even with only a 500 print run. Now if I wanted to collect any cameo or appearance of the turtles Gobbledygook would put a halt to it. Even though it is just an ad it is so much more...The first time you saw them in print!!!! It comes down to how complete you want your collection to be.

#5576688 - 04/05/12 12:19 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Zombikaze]
ChadH Offline
Talkative?

Loc: Auburn, AL
I hate to bump this but how often do these come up for sale? I'm dying to get my hands on one and have been searching for weeks now.

#5576705 - 04/05/12 12:29 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: ChadH]
oakman29 Offline

Colonial Mustard in the library WITH THE CANDLESTICK!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Orange county,SoCal
 Originally Posted By: ChadH
I hate to bump this but how often do these come up for sale? I'm dying to get my hands on one and have been searching for weeks now.

Good luck.

Call me Oak,Oakland,Oakman,David or Dave,just don't call me a cab.
Every collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason.RMA

A year ago...A cold October night...A broken down car on a dirt road...A man...A girl...Madness...Pain...And the shadows...My God the shadows!- J. O'Barr

You're milkshake is gone dude. Wipe up the moisture ring and move on.-Chuck Gower
Nerd cesspool- lizards2

#5576710 - 04/05/12 12:32 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: oakman29]
oakman29 Offline

Colonial Mustard in the library WITH THE CANDLESTICK!

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Orange county,SoCal
I know a guy looking for Gobbledygook 1 for twenty years.

Call me Oak,Oakland,Oakman,David or Dave,just don't call me a cab.
Every collection,from the most valuable Golden age,to the readiest of reading copy Moderns,is assembled with care and thought,and is worthy of respect because of it,if for no other reason.RMA

A year ago...A cold October night...A broken down car on a dirt road...A man...A girl...Madness...Pain...And the shadows...My God the shadows!- J. O'Barr

You're milkshake is gone dude. Wipe up the moisture ring and move on.-Chuck Gower
Nerd cesspool- lizards2

#5576788 - 04/05/12 01:21 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: oakman29]
conditionfreak Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Ohio, USA
Strange. I thought there were no rare bronze or copper comic books. I hear that at least once a week on here.

#5576819 - 04/05/12 01:38 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
steveinthecity Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: In an applesauce tranquility.....
 Originally Posted By: conditionfreak
Strange. I thought there were no rare bronze or copper comic books. I hear that at least once a week on here.
This one falls into the "small press" category so I don't think it counts as a bronze or copper. 2c

#5576996 - 04/05/12 07:30 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: ChadH]
JesterSB Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: Pennsylvania

Heritage has a 1 and 2 up for auction next month (not mine)...

http://www.ha.com/common/search_results....94+791+792+2088

Edited by JesterSB (04/05/12 07:30 AM)

Want List:
CGC 2.0: FF5, ASM3,4, DD1, Sgt. Fury1
CGC 8.0: FF48, ToS50, X-Men12, Avengers57

#5577317 - 04/05/12 10:37 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: JesterSB]
ChadH Offline
Talkative?

Originally Posted By: JesterSB

Thanks Jester! I'm all over those. Well #1 anyway.

#5577326 - 04/05/12 10:43 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: ChadH]
JesterSB Offline
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: Pennsylvania

Thanks Jester! I'm all over those. Well #1 anyway.

Heritage offered 3 #1s last year:
Feb 8.5 sold for $11,352.50
May 9.0 sold for $6,273.75
Nov 8.0 sold for $1,912.00

Price seems to be coming down as the hardcore guys get their copy.

Want List:
CGC 2.0: FF5, ASM3,4, DD1, Sgt. Fury1
CGC 8.0: FF48, ToS50, X-Men12, Avengers57

#5577335 - 04/05/12 10:50 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: JesterSB]
ChadH Offline
Talkative?

I was honestly thinking the one listed would go for around $2500.

#5577566 - 04/05/12 12:34 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: ChadH]
ChadH Offline
Talkative?

Also, how do we know these are legit copies? Haven't their been counterfeit copies around?

#5578714 - 04/05/12 09:14 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
joe_collector Offline

Ok ok. JC Superstar. But only because he martyred his ID.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Titan

There is really no such thing as a "rare" mass-produced comic book from any era, and several hundred examples likely exist (100+ confirmed) of even something like Action 1.

The only exception are low-print editions like this (with a print run smaller than the existent copies of Action 1), which are not the same thing as a standard, mass market comic book. I mean, there are those "Museum" moderns that were artificially limited to 1 copy each, but I doubt anyone would trade a AF 15 for one.

#5578874 - 04/05/12 10:12 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: joe_collector]
conditionfreak Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

So, youi're saying that there are most likely several hundred copies of each of these around?

I could go on and on. Either I have wasted a lot of money and time, obtaining these. Or you are wrong. Way wrong.

#5578935 - 04/05/12 10:30 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
joe_collector Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

So, youi're saying that there are most likely several hundred copies of each of these around?

Any mass market issue of a popular character should have 100+ copies still existing *somewhere*, but that would naturally not include any esoteric or low-print (for the era) issues. And I'm not sure why you would post something like Romeo Tubbs (unless it was the "Canadian Edition, which is even lamer, since it's lower print), as there are plenty of copies online, including 10 over at Metro alone.

But my main point was comparing any issue from titles like Superman, post-Batman TEC, Batman or Captain Marvel would qualify - stuff people would keep and collect.

#5579012 - 04/05/12 10:59 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: joe_collector]
Kevin.J Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Surrounded by comics
 Originally Posted By: joe_collector

There is really no such thing as a "rare" mass-produced comic book from any era, and several hundred examples likely exist (100+ confirmed) of even something like Action 1.

The only exception are low-print editions like this (with a print run smaller than the existent copies of Action 1), which are not the same thing as a standard, mass market comic book. I mean, there are those "Museum" moderns that were artificially limited to 1 copy each, but I doubt anyone would trade a AF 15 for one.

What about recalled editions ?

A HarveySwick production

Shipping to the UK is real easy, have a look at My Kudos Thread and see what the experts say.

#5579017 - 04/05/12 11:01 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: joe_collector]
conditionfreak Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

So, Silver Streak Comics was a low print run that no one collects? The above were not mass produced comics and no one (who counts) collects them?

I posted the Romeo Tubbs because you can't find ten of them. Heck, find three. Even two. It is the Canadian issue and is labeled #27 on the cover. It was mass produced. The ones at Metro do not have an issue number on the cover and they are issue #28. Gerber and Overstreet state #27 probably does not exist.

It must be fun when you decide what is a low print non-mass produced without any evidence other than your educated guess. It also must be fun when you decide what is collectible and what is not.

I can't wait to read your next post about how truly clueless I am, and how spot on you are.

I love the use of the words "should" and "somewhere". Hard to disprove those words.

#5579484 - 04/06/12 07:08 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
Gatsby77 Offline

I haven't checked on the latest link from Heritage's upcoming sale, but all but one of the recent sales (last two years) from Heritage were "autheticated" by Eastman and/or Laird themselves.

That's part of what drove the ridiculous first sale of the 8.5--it was the first verified authentic version sold publicly in years.

And--true to form, once it sold for as much as it did, several other sets came out of the woodwork.

#5580480 - 04/06/12 03:55 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: JesterSB]
supapimp Offline

Custom title body snatcher

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Sucka Free city

Heritage offered 3 #1s last year:
Feb 8.5 sold for $11,352.50
May 9.0 sold for $6,273.75
Nov 8.0 sold for $1,912.00

Price seems to be coming down as the hardcore guys get their copy.

OUCH! doh\!

#5581005 - 04/06/12 06:31 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: ChadH]
Archon_Turtle Online   content
Collectosaurus Rex

Loc: South Pasadena, CA
Also, how do we know these are legit copies? Haven't their been counterfeit copies around?

I'd be happy to vouch for these books. They belong to Bill Fitts -- the creator of the fabled "The Birds, The Bees, and the Turtles" Adult TMNT book. He is a former Mirage employee. He served as archivist back when the amount of TMNT product being produced warranted the position to exist.

Bill contacted me about how to handle the sale of the books when he recently rediscovered them in his collection. These books were given to him by Kevin.

#5586023 - 04/08/12 04:45 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
joe_collector Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

I posted the Romeo Tubbs because you can't find ten of them. Heck, find three. Even two. It is the Canadian issue and is labeled #27 on the cover.

What's next, 35-cent variants of Western/Cartoon books. Printing defects?

I am Canadian, and *everything* produced for up here is already a "low print" since it's only about 5-10% of the comparable US edition. Or are you just another dumb American who thinks we all live in igloos and hunt polar bears. lol

#5586147 - 04/08/12 06:17 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: joe_collector]
conditionfreak Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

I posted the Romeo Tubbs because you can't find ten of them. Heck, find three. Even two. It is the Canadian issue and is labeled #27 on the cover.

What's next, 35-cent variants of Western/Cartoon books. Printing defects?

I am Canadian, and *everything* produced for up here is already a "low print" since it's only about 5-10% of the comparable US edition. Or are you just another dumb American who thinks we all live in igloos and hunt polar bears. lol

Ah, you're Canadian. That explains a lot.

We were having a discussion about an assertion you made. Then I posted several pics of several books, and you clung onto one of them as somehow showing you were right and I was wrong. Totally ignoring the other books, such as Silver Streak #NN. Which there are NOT several hundred copies of "somewhere". Then I challenged you to find two more copies of the Romeo Tubbs #27, and you tried for days, and failed to do that. Then you decided to insinuate I am a dumb American and that most Americans are. Just because I shattered your "assertion" all to hell.

So....I have a few questions for you.

I've always wanted to know this.

Do you have a Queen? King? Princess or three? Prince or two? (serious questions)

(feel dumb?)

Edited by conditionfreak (04/08/12 10:31 PM)

#5587337 - 04/09/12 10:47 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
joe_collector Offline

TOTAL NEWBIE

Yes, it easily lets me see through your idiotic assertion that a low-print Canadian version/variant is somehow the same as a "mas produced" US comic.

Seriously, I could produce scans of price variants, error covers, overseas issues, etc. that probably don't have more than 5 existing copies (if that), but again, what does that prove when I have stated over and over and over that I am referring to MASS PRODUCED comics, no low-print variants or country-specific versions with minuscule print runs.

For an example, try finding even 5 of these. I guess by your illogiic, that means BA is far, far, far rarer than GA, right?

Attachments
124559.jpg
Description:

124560.jpg
Description:

#5588156 - 04/09/12 06:12 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: joe_collector]
conditionfreak Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

You are the one who stated that there "should" be several hundred copies around, of comics from every era, "somewhere".

So, find several hundred copies of the "other" books I scanned. Try Buck Rogers #1. Could there have been a more mass produced comic book of that era and of as popular a character?

You made an asseertion that sounded good when you made it. But is totally wrong. Find 50 copies of Silvr Streak #NN. Another popular and mass produced "American" comic book in its era.

You are wrong. You know you are wrong. Yet, you try to justify your assertion that comic books from every era "should" exist in the several hundreds, "somewhere".

It was a dumb assertion and statement that you wish you had not made. I understand.

Show me forty Buck Rogers #1's or forty TNT Comics #1's. Or forty Silver Streak #1's. Heck, show me half those numbers, "somewhere".

You won't. You can't.

There is a reason Ernest Gerber has scarcity #'s 10, 9 and 8. Not all are correct, but most are. Blows your hypothesis out of the water.

There are obviously comics of all era's that are rare. Some extremely rare. Wake up and smell the coffee. You can't make an assertion then back track and add caveats to the original statement, and not expect to be challenged to prove your case. You said this,

"There is really no such thing as a "rare" mass-produced comic book from any era, and several hundred examples likely exist (100+ confirmed) of even something like Action 1.

The only exception are low-print editions like this (with a print run smaller than the existent copies of Action 1), which are not the same thing as a standard, mass market comic book. I mean, there are those "Museum" moderns that were artificially limited to 1 copy each, but I doubt anyone would trade a AF 15 for one."

Was Buck Rogers a mass produced comic book of a popular character, in 1940 "America"? Do you really believe there are several hundred Buck Rogers #1's around "somewhere"? I argue it was one of THE most popular comic books of the era.

We were not discussing who would trade what for what. You said every issue of a mass produced comic in "every era", likely exist, in the several hundreds.

Get a clue Canadian dude.

You're welcome.

Edited by conditionfreak (04/09/12 06:17 PM)

#5590549 - 04/10/12 04:53 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: conditionfreak]
Gatsby77 Offline

Thanks for taking this thread off-topic, esp. as you presented books from a totally different era in comics.

To take it back to the OP's question: whether Gobbledygook # 1, an early 1980s book, deserves to be priced in Overstreet's as more valuable than any book from the 1970s.

I'm not sure it shouldn't be.

Fact is, TMNT defined a pop culture generation and crossed over from comics into general pop culture. At least for the kids of that generation, TMNT are far more famous than say...Wolverine.

So I have no problem with their first appearance--in a mere ad--limited to 50 copies, being "worth" more than Hulk 181 and the other '70s price variants (mainly, Star Wars # 1 $.35 and Iron Fist 14 $.35.)

The problem is authentication and, frankly, demand. I'd personally pick TMNT 1 over either of the Gobbledygook issues (and have). Just like I reckon most folks would rather have an Action 1 than a New Adventure 26 or Detective 15.

As for the Copper vs. Bronze debate, TMNT 1 was a book that I knew about and desired long before I started reading X-Men and learned about Giant Size X-Men 1 or Hulk 181.

#5591033 - 04/10/12 08:05 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Gatsby77]
Rip Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: West Coast
As someone who collected in the early 80's as a kid, I much more wanted a TMNT 1 or Gobbledygook 1 than Hulk 181.

Hulk 181's were everywhere. Every major store had one or more.
The comic store I worked at had many. Heck I've seen a short box full of them.
I always thought the book was over priced. Even 10 years ago.

Now TNMT, we had a mid grade copy of TMNT 1 once. It didn't last long.

And Gobbledygook 1 was this mythical book we never saw but only heard about.

Star Wars 35 cent variants are also semi-easy to find in comparison.
I've bought 2 4's and a 2 for less than $10.

As we all know, its all about supply and demand.
The trick I guess is knowing how long the demand will last.

#5591133 - 04/10/12 08:58 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Rip]
peterpark Offline

Isn't that all just Overstreets pricing? In high grade don't star wars 1 35 cent variant sell for more than a Gobbledygook?
#5591409 - 04/10/12 10:48 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: peterpark]
spracknetch23 Offline
Up 20 words per minute since I signed up

Loc: OH, USA
I ran into a Gobbledygook #1 and 2 along with a TMNT #3 error cover at an Ohio convention way back in 1993. They were priced at $50 each. Being 15 at the time, that was way out of my price range. I bought a #3 1st printing (regular) instead. Although I've gotten a #3 error since, that remains the only time I've ever run across the Gobbledygooks.

#5591735 - 04/11/12 01:24 AM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: peterpark]
Rip Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: West Coast
Its tricky because of the rarity. Both have the potential of firstitis syndrome.
Star Wars in high grades (9.2 and up) and Goobbledygook in any grade.
While the Gobbledygook got over 10K (Which is what the SW1 9.4 sold for). I doubt it could get that again, unless maybe it was a 9.6 or better copy.

Overall I'd go with SW1 as a safer bet to win in price if we are talking around 8.5-9.4.
Where as in 7.5 and below I'd say the Gobbledygook would win out. But its not an easy match up.

Edited by Rip (04/11/12 01:27 AM)

#5593700 - 04/11/12 08:46 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Rip]
bronzejonny Offline

Gobbledygook 1 is in my humble opinion, a most interesting key. It's not a variant and it is arguably not the 1st appearance of the TMNT but rather a back cover advertisement. Yet it remains, according to Overstreet and the comic book market, one of the 2 most valuable books of the last 40 years. Perhaps this book is not a key but rather, an "anomal-key," - that is, a book that is a key for reasons other than those that traditionally define a key book (1st app, early crossover, etc.) The reason why this book is sought after- 50 copies of a book that is desired by a large mass of TMNT collectors. Thanks to everyone for making this a most interesting thread.

#5593783 - 04/11/12 09:18 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
peterpark Offline

I'd pay more for the Flintstones 1 or Scooby Doo 1 pictured as a bad example earlier in this thread. To me, they're more desirable.
#5603481 - 04/15/12 10:07 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: peterpark]
bronzejonny Offline

I would too but there are some people out there that will pay a fortune for this book simply because the TMNTs are advertised on the back cover. It's really an interesting basis for defining this the key book of a comic book age. It's also interesting to see that it was a book that only a very small percentage of people ever had an opportunity to get one. The door was closed before the remaining 99.9% of comic book collectors and readers ever knew it even existed. And the book is more valuable than every BA key with exception to the 35 cent price variant Star Wars 1. Quite an interesting story in my humble opinion.
#5605086 - 04/16/12 05:16 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: joe_collector]
pubmonkey Offline
Talkative?

Or are you just another dumb American who thinks we all live in igloos and hunt polar bears. lol

Do you have a Queen? King? Princess or three? Prince or two? (serious questions)

(feel dumb?)

In the name of cross border relations I think we should all just agree to disagree, don't you agree?...or disagree??. Opinions are funny that way...

Keeping on topic, as an avid TMNT collector (recently collecting cgc graded items) I have to say I would sell my igloo and polar bear to get a copy of Gobbledygook #1. I already renounced my Queen, Princess (or three), and jar of peanut butter (Canadian price variant on the red top Kraft kind - pink when north of the arctic circle) to get a CGC TMNT #1 so GG#1 is in my sights (no polar bear joke here as I already mentioned it)...

Edited by pubmonkey (04/16/12 05:17 PM)
Edit Reason: spell check is in French here!!

#5899936 - 08/03/12 11:48 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: pubmonkey]
bronzejonny Offline

Gobbledygook 1 is now 2K more than the Star Wars 35 cent variant in the new OSPG.
#5901496 - 08/04/12 07:19 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: bronzejonny]
Flash105 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Central City, Police Station
I have an employee who is a closet comic book fan and I always show him my Heritage catalogs. We ew and ah over key books together but when he saw the gobbledygook #1, you would have thought he has seen the risen Savior. He was literally beside himself. He grew up with the Turtles and to him this was the book. So all us 40 somethings have to understand we don't understand.

#5901607 - 08/04/12 08:24 PM Re: Gobbledygook 1: More valuable than the best of Bronze? Really? [Re: Flash105]
bronzejonny Offline

I've seen people go nutty over this book. While it's not a "mainstream" book, it is treated as if it was. This book should not be categorized like a mainstream key. Gobbledygook 1 is a comic book oddity.
Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gemma, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, cgcmod3, dena, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, cgcmod8, CCGmod0, Barbara T, Matt Nelson, cgcmod9, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, plitch, ccgmod1, PaulS. 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
Budget Kitchens London
by rakpenak
Yesterday at 10:57 PM
WTB: Junk Silver
by ChasingKingKirby
Yesterday at 10:54 AM
New @ kittlecoins.com - Type Coins; Lovett Tokens; Copper Wilson Dollar; Commems
by illini420
10/29/14 10:08 PM
PROOF 70 COINS FOR SALE
by wmfielding
10/28/14 09:58 AM
Comics Marketplace
ASM 361 , 362 , 363 Mexican Version
by Mijael77
Today at 01:03 AM
Moondog's Halloween Sale - Pre-Code Horror and EC's!
by Moondog
Today at 12:40 AM
Ms. Marvel No. 1 - 48-hour auction ending 11/1 @ 10:00 p.m. ET - CLOSED!
by smithdatura
Yesterday at 10:13 PM
SOLD! Mystery Tales # 19 Atlas CGC 5.5 Universal Off White-White Pages
by eccomic
Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles