• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

heh heh heh..... Bernie Wrightson beat you at ten pins lol

??? Let me guess, math wasn't your best subject, right? hm

img_YaleBowlcopy_124-1.jpg

I will say that Berni had an influence on my B&W illustration style even though he was only a few years ahead of me and it's readily apparent that we were both inluenced by Graham Ingles to some extent. OTOH, Hannes Bok, George Rozen and Frank Frazetta had a greater influence on my painting technique, and I have no idea how any of those guys bowled. :grin:

OMG, this is me. What a horrible pic. I'm Gordon Bailey, and I was a friend and partner of Larry Herndon's back in the 70s. He and I, along with Joe Bob Williams and Mark Lamberti, put on several conventions and also published The Nostalgia Journal.

I was just fooling around now and stumbled across your site. Nice to see people remember us!

And even though I'm not one of them, I remember the Harper Brothers very well. We all had a lot of fun back then!

hm Another fan or dealer whose name eludes me (maybe one of the Harper brothers?). (shrug)

Any help establishing the identities of folks is greatly appreciated! :hi:

earlyconphotos-3.jpg

BTW, if no one guesses the con-guest from the previous posted image I'll spill the beans later tonight (hint: actor). (thumbs u

OMG, this is me. What a horrible pic. I'm Gordon Bailey, and I was a friend and partner of Larry Herndon's back in the 70s. He and I, along with Joe Bob Williams and Mark Lamberti, put on several conventions and also published The Nostalgia Journal.

I was just fooling around now and stumbled across your site. Nice to see people remember us!

And even though I'm not one of them, I remember the Harper Brothers very well. We all had a lot of fun back then!

hm Another fan or dealer whose name eludes me (maybe one of the Harper brothers?). (shrug)

Any help establishing the identities of folks is greatly appreciated! :hi:

earlyconphotos-3.jpg

BTW, if no one guesses the con-guest from the previous posted image I'll spill the beans later tonight (hint: actor). (thumbs u

Welcome to the boards Gordon! :applause:

Wow, I just went scanning back over this thread. What a bunch of memories! I remember so much of this. Joe Bob Williams, John Wooley, Wilt Conine (and 'Conine Mint' Ha! I had forgotten about that) all those Wintercon and Houstoncon programs... I had them all! And of course the Dallas ones too. I'd love to write a longer remembrance at some point... some of the posts make it sound like ancient history and of course it doesn't seem that way to me. Anyway, I'll check in again soon. Good job!

He and I, along with Joe Bob Williams and Mark Lamberti, put on several conventions and also published The Nostalgia Journal.

Awesome! My hat's off to you, sir. Welcome to the boards, people do indeed remember, and I'd love to hear tales of starting/publishing the Journal, anytime.

He and I, along with Joe Bob Williams and Mark Lamberti, put on several conventions and also published The Nostalgia Journal.

Awesome! My hat's off to you, sir. Welcome to the boards, people do indeed remember, and I'd love to hear tales of starting/publishing the Journal, anytime.

Welcome to the Boards! I second Mark's suggestion. (thumbs u

Okay, I've been looking back over this thread... I recognize a number of people. Robert Brown, John Wooley, and people who's names escape me now... the one guy in the Australian hat was a big friend of John Harper's and they went to several conventions together. But I was at almost all of these conventions. I remember George 'Spanky' McFarland and asking him some questions during a Q and A. George Takei and Nichelle Nichols were guests at one of our Spring Cons in Dallas. I think I have a copy of the Nostalgia Journal with a report from that one somewhere... it's got a great pic of Takei, Nichols, Joe Bob and me.

I don't think that's Bruce Hamilton in the pic that everyone's speculating about... but it could be. The one of Russ Cochran is definitely him.

What a trip through the past...

Okay, I've been looking back over this thread... I recognize a number of people. Robert Brown, John Wooley, and people who's names escape me now... the one guy in the Australian hat was a big friend of John Harper's and they went to several conventions together. But I was at almost all of these conventions. I remember George 'Spanky' McFarland and asking him some questions during a Q and A. George Takei and Nichelle Nichols were guests at one of our Spring Cons in Dallas. I think I have a copy of the Nostalgia Journal with a report from that one somewhere... it's got a great pic of Takei, Nichols, Joe Bob and me.

I don't think that's Bruce Hamilton in the pic that everyone's speculating about... but it could be. The one of Russ Cochran is definitely him.

What a trip through the past...

Gordon, since you're new to the boards you may not have noticed the little flashing letter emblem at the top of the page next to "My Stuff" ...that means you've been sent a personal message. If you click on it, you'll see a message from David Merryweather. Any messages sent and responses received from there are private unless others are copied on them.

Just want to welcome you to the boards. I started this thread to share my fan experiences, reconnect and encourage others to do likewise.

I'll be posting more in this thread as time goes on, but if you have any anecdotes, pictures and/or perspectives to share, please feel free to contribute them here! (thumbs u

A bunch of crazy photos I shot in the late 60's early 70's

Jim Steranko relaxing with toothpick

xz14csterank2.jpg

Dr. McCoy

xvvr44qqwa.jpg

Leonard Nimoy's first Trek convention

xv60096yhg11.jpg

xv33qqza000p.jpg

Isaac Asimov

xvv6600yy765.jpg

Chekhov

xvv66yy765.jpg

Uhura

xv440009.jpg

xv55r2azz1.jpg

Gene Roddenberry

xv77ji0001.jpg

Fred Phillips (did all the Star Trek makeup in the original series)

xv77ji000.jpg

Sulu

xvv66hbbb.jpg

Shatner

westhill.jpg

Gene and Bill

xv66ggtqq23t.jpg

Those were the days

xv44aaa.jpg

Always made my relatives hold a book

sic579600.jpg

sic444redf.jpg

If it were only the LAST issue, I'd be rich today

sic555ty.jpg

Outer Limits cards were the bomb

sic555gtrf-1.jpg

'nuff said

sic444erde.jpg

sic5head.jpg

OK Jim, enough with the toothpick already

xz14csterank.jpg

Some more "fandom" favorites

Not comic fandom but TV fandom...I did not snap this picture (tsk)

tvstarscoolphotogwynnetinayvonne-1.jpg

sculpted by an obvious fan in 1974

Spocksculpture-1.jpg

I thought this was a pretty cool shot of Joe Shuster

joeshusterphoto.jpg

author David Gerrold (wrote Trouble With Tribbles)

DavidGerrold-1.jpg

Two friends...you guess who

BenandGatorandTec27-1.jpg

Cool photo I found somewhere

ADAMWESTCANDID.jpg

1971 or so

sic555serwa.jpg

Some things never change

halloween9e.jpg

We never could afford Shatner or Nimoy or Kelley. But we had all the rest... George Takei, Walter Koenig, Nichelle NIchols, Grace Lee Whitney and James Doohan. And we also had hangers-on and fellow travelers like David Gerrold and Mark Lenard... I'm sure there were others that I can't recall right now.

I particularly remember James Doohan. In one of his talks, somebody asked him if it was true Scotty wouldn't drink anymore. And Doohan said, patting his coat pocket for effect, "I have a letter right here from Gene Roddenberry that says Scotty can drink whenever he damn well feels like it!" The audience applauded mightily.

After the convention, I drove Doohan to the airport. He obviously didn't want to talk about Star Trek, so it was kind of awkward at first. Then when I told him my dad was a motorhome dealer, he was very talkative the rest of the way. He kept asking me how you fixed this or that on a Winnebago... I thought it very ironic that one of the most famous 'engineers' in TV history hadn't a clue how to work on his own motorhome!

One of my favorite memories.