Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#4858288 - 06/09/11 10:10 AM Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ?
Senormac Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oregon
I imagine artists work out their own business negotiations these days ....or do they? I think it used to be that the Comic Book publishers like Marvel, DC.... Dark Horse.....whoever, paid a per page rate, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience or information on this ?

How about the writer per page or does he work per -script ?

#4858324 - 06/09/11 10:30 AM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: Senormac]
comix4fun Offline

This is one of the rare times that having no friends works in my favor.

TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Under The Serious Moonlight
 Originally Posted By: Senormac
I imagine artists work out their own business negotiations these days ....or do they? I think it used to be that the Comic Book publishers like Marvel, DC.... Dark Horse.....whoever, paid a per page rate, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any experience or information on this ?

It's a scale, there isn't a set number. Marvel and DC, and other publishers, have pricing scales per page.

For artists there are pencil rates, ink rates, paint rates, etc.

However, there are also a ton of other factors that go into how an artist gets paid at the end of it all (royalties, incentives, etc.) that make it almost impossible to say "An artist will get paid $X per page".

"That's my secret.....I'm always angry."

"I wake up in the morning and I *spoon* excellence. I am just a big, hairy, American, winning machine."

#4858350 - 06/09/11 10:41 AM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: comix4fun]
sd2416 Offline
I was posting here when you were in diapers.

Loc: Little Rock, Arkansas
I had always thought it was based of the sales/popularity of the book.
ASM/UXM will pay more then Quasar.

#4858360 - 06/09/11 10:47 AM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: comix4fun]
Senormac Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Oregon
 Originally Posted By: comix4fun
 Originally Posted By: Senormac

It's a scale, there isn't a set number. Marvel and DC, and other publishers, have pricing scales per page.

For artists there are pencil rates, ink rates, paint rates, etc.

However, there are also a ton of other factors that go into how an artist gets paid at the end of it all (royalties, incentives, etc.) that make it almost impossible to say "An artist will get paid $X per page".

So there must be a base rate then.... a starting point, before all the stuff like royalties and sales get figured in. If not, then I get the impression it really is more of a team effort with everyone dividing the spoils. I remember reading about Jack Cole drawing Plastic Man and the boss (editor?) after they had used the work to print the comic.....just tore the originals up and threw them in the trash. Course that was the 40's. But even in the 70's and 80's weren't artists still working on a per page rate ?

#4858570 - 06/09/11 12:56 PM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: Senormac]
Artboy99 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Edmonton, AB , Canada
The biggest change that has occurred is the digital era. Now artists retain the original work, which they can in turn sell if they so choose. In the old days original art was the property of the company.

#4858599 - 06/09/11 01:13 PM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: Artboy99]
ashrael Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: PA, USA
I have wondered about paychecks, because even crappy art can be worth a lot if the writing is great and there is a lot of fanfare. The crappy artist sells his art and makes $$$, while the writer gets nada.

(I am sure this doesn't happen too much)

#4858936 - 06/09/11 04:22 PM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: ashrael]
User 01001010 Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: under your bed
i'm paid on a per -script basis. anywhere from very little to good. plus for the titles i own i get a small advance and the majority of profits (shared with the artist in a 50/50 split).

for my copywritten concepts and ideas, i give 50% rights to the original artist since i can't draw. found this to be the best way to do it after talking to tim seely last year regarding how best to divvy up rights.

#4859088 - 06/09/11 05:25 PM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: Senormac]
Norinn Radd Offline

Rorinn Nadd

TOTAL NEWBIE

Ye olde thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=684101&fpart=all

#4859130 - 06/09/11 05:46 PM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: Norinn Radd]
Flash105 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: Central City, Police Station
That is interesting reading. If you can crank out work, get a creator owned hit, and have a regular gig on a big book you can make some real money. How much do you think covers go for?

#4859139 - 06/09/11 05:51 PM Re: Whats the going rate per page for a comic book artist these days ? [Re: Norinn Radd]
User 01001010 Offline
Pedigreed

Loc: under your bed

sadly in the indy world, it is nowhere close to that. but you keep the rights to what you create though. that is a good thing if you get even a small hit. not sure how much the big houses pay anymore since the top selling book doesn't break 80k each month anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3, cgcmod, cgcmod2, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod6, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Barbara T, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod10, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Search
The Money Marketplace
FST: 2014 gold Kennedy OGP your $5 HOF proof OGP.
by agentjim007
Yesterday at 06:50 PM
WTB NGC MS69 Quarters 2009-2014
by Kapimono
Yesterday at 11:57 AM
FSH; BU roll 1964 P Kennedy halves, $200
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:26 PM
FSH; $500 FRN VF with a problem *SOLD*
by cucamongacoin
10/20/14 07:25 PM
Comics Marketplace
AMAZING COMICARTCOM COMIC-CON RETURNS! Batman 14nc, Subby 34 nc, Walt Kelly Art
by comicartcom
Today at 12:45 AM
Strange Tales #9, JIM #5, Amazing Adv. #1, Uncanny Tales #5 (2 DAYS ONLY) NICE!
by kramerarts
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Tibex82's Copper/Modern Fall Clearance. Keys, 1st's, Variants. C'mon in!
by Tibex82
Yesterday at 10:25 PM
X-Men member first appearance OA on eBay
by pkveronese
Yesterday at 09:14 PM
Advertisements

Generated in 0.013 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Aspen Titles