• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FANDOM
3 3

504 posts in this topic

Before I start this thread I must apologize to AdamStrange for not posting this material in his thread. I've been working on this for over a week, locating aging photographs, scanning and correcting the color as best I can and preparing something that I was hoping would be both a personal and shared experience.

This isn't about kings or princes, but glimpses of where we've come from as collectors, dealers and fans in general. I have no clue as to how to organize things in any retrospective order as many of the dates and locations are not clear.

What is clear to me, however, is that I don't want this to be merely a soapbox for my history. As I'm sharing photographs, art, autographed programs and fan memorabilia, I'd hope that others will post some of their memories too, whether images or interesting anecdotes.

With that, I'll start with one of the silliest least consequential fan photographs I've unearthed, taken by me of a group of happy fans in an elevator. I don't personally know any of the folks here, but maybe someone will recognize a friend (1974; either Dallas or Houstoncon)...

earlyconphotos-28.jpg

Here's one where some guessing is involved. On the right is Robert A. Brown, in the middle I'm not quite sure (maybe Joe Bob Williams?) and on the left, again I'm not sure, but I think it may be Carl Barks, one of the featured guests of Multicon in OKC, where I took this one...

earlyconphotos-25.jpg

My old friend and Tales of Texas publisher Bob Wayne with his first wife. You can tell he was already planning ahead for when he'd be a Senior Marketing VP at DC; he's already rebooting the heroes in his own image!

earlyconphotos-32.jpg

One of my fondest memories of Bob was when I was in Dallas for a visit (my home was in Okla. at the time) we caught CSN&Y on their '74 tour in the Cowboy's stadium! :headbang:

My last entry for the evening is a photo of a dealer; I'm not sure on this one (maybe Bruce Hamilton?). It's from a mid-70's Houstoncon if I'm not mistaken.

earlyconphotos-22.jpg

Nice Frazetta in the background. Would that have been the original or a poster?

My last entry for the evening is a photo of a dealer; I'm not sure on this one (maybe Bruce Hamilton?). It's from a mid-70's Houstoncon if I'm not mistaken.

earlyconphotos-22.jpg

The way its set up sure makes it look like an original. And check out that ash tray on the table in front of him. Smoking on the convention floor :o My how times have changed

earlyconphotos-22.jpg

The way its set up sure makes it look like an original. And check out that ash tray on the table in front of him. Smoking on the convention floor :o My how times have changed

Nice thread David! [Wish I had a shirt like that one!]

This thread has a bunch o' potential! I do have an old newspaper article somewhere about my collection back in high school (1985 or so). I'll see if I can dig it up and find it. I don't think I've got any other pictures from back in the day though :(

Definitely looking forward to whatever everyone else comes up with tho!

Here's one where some guessing is involved. On the right is Robert A. Brown, in the middle I'm not quite sure (maybe Joe Bob Williams?) and on the left, again I'm not sure, but I think it may be Carl Barks, one of the featured guests of Multicon in OKC, where I took this one...

earlyconphotos-25.jpg

That's Carl Barks. Nice pics!

earlyconphotos-22.jpg

I believe it is an original; if you look closely at the flash glare you can see the impression of the canvas stretchers. Yeah, cons were smokier back then. *cough* ... *cough* :P

Old friend and fellow member of the Oklahoma Alliance of Fans (OAF), John Wooley (author of a number of books on pulps and his own series of mystery novels and still attends the Windy City Pulp & Paper Con), here sharing a cold Bud with someone during one of the quieter moments in the dealer's room (notice the GA books taped to the wall to his right)...

earlyconphotos-19.jpg

Duncan Renaldo (film and television's Cisco Kid) signing autographs for fans at a convention in Dallas (1974)...

earlyconphotos-34.jpg

Producer/Director George Pal at the same convention addressing a packed audience and providing a rare glimpse into his upcoming "blockbuster" doh! film Doc Savage...

earlyconphotos-33.jpg

Former Olympic star, actor and swimming pool salesman Buster Crabbe, also from the '74 Dallas Convention, captivating an audience with his anecdotal exploits in the movies, serials and television...

earlyconphotos-37.jpg

Edited by DavidMerryweather

earlyconphotos-25.jpg

Why's he holding a bong, and what's in that bag on the chair next to him? :o

earlyconphotos-25.jpg

Why's he holding a bong, and what's in that bag on the chair next to him? :o

If that was JoeBob Williams standing in back it might explain a lot. ;)

Seriously, I think that's either a classic european pipe or a some kind of gun (toy or real), not a bong. The contents of the bag is anyone's guess. (shrug)

1974 Houstoncon ... Walter Koenig

earlyconphotos-31.jpg

The infamous con party anecdote:

At this particular Houstoncon I invited Walter to a fan room party, the room having been "graciously" offered by a fellow who seriously didn't believe that I could get the convention guests to show up. He then calmly disappeared into one of the film rooms and forgot all about it leaving me holding the bag since I didn't have access to his room.

Assuming that the room would be available, Bob Wayne and I had gone out of the con hotel to obtain refreshments and ice for the gathering while dodging invitations from the hookers in downtown Houston. When we got back to the hotel with about 10 minutes to spare we discovered the guys room was still locked and he was nowhere to be found. Bob and I looked at each other in desperation and after brief consideration I said I've got a plan.

I went down to the lobby and told the hotel's desk clerk that I'd locked myself out of my room and couldn't get to my wallet while providing the clerk with the room holder's name. To my relief the desk clerk offered me a replacement key without further explanation required.

Luck was with us. I got off the elevator and unlocked the door just as fans started showing up at the room expecting a party.

Back then I was much better remembering names, so as new folks came in I'd introduce everyone. We'd done a pretty good job getting the word out. My late friend Al Williamson dropped by and Walter Koenig showed up with his date, promptly sat in the floor and socialized most of the evening without asking anyone to move as the room was already packed.

About thirty minutes into the party I noticed the guy who'd originally offered me his room for our party walking slowly by the door; he stopped, looked at the room number, scratched his head and walked on down the hall reappearing in the doorway about a minute later, slack-jawed.

"WTF?" ... "How did you get in?" ... "You actually DID it?" Then he noticed Walter Koenig sitting in the floor next to him; I introduced everyone again, he sat down shaking his head and joined the party still wondering how this had happened.

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Most of my old convention memorabilia from the 70s has been lost. Some left behind after a move, this still haunts me, others were lost in Katrina several years ago. I'll dig around when I get back to the States and see what might still remain.

I do have this photograph which was snapped right after I returned home from an early Coast Con. Probably 1982 or '83

I was focusing on silver age at that show, as there was not a lot fo golden age to be had that year. The following year, there was a ton of GA.

My first convention was back in the early 70s, in Phoenix. That was quite an experience. Most of the Star Trek cast was there, and I got to meet Robert Heinlein, which was a huge thrill for me. Phoenix had quite a sci-fi and comic scene in those days.

Anyway, here is the picture

mm0117.jpg