• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Doohickamabob, I noticed your It Rhymes with Lust paperback. Do you have any photos of the book you can share?

I am going to follow your links and refresh my history/literature so I have a baseline chance of holding a semi-intelligent discussion with you about Huey Long and Hodding Carter.

Regarding "It Rhymes With Lust," I see you noticed my M.O. of putting cool books in the corner and wondering if anybody will notice. (Not really -- the "Lust" book happened to be out.) Here's the pic, I hope you enjoy it:

rhymes-with-buddha.jpg

I have an IRWL, but I have never seen that Winking Buddah! Very cool. The interior is all panel work? Are there any others in the same series?

rhymes-with-buddha.jpg

Very cool. :applause:

This is the first time I've ever seen The Case of the Winking Buddha.

There was one just recently up for sale on ebay. I was following but neglected to bid on it. I'd say it was a VG+ for $77.

The depth of field he created was incredible! (worship)

captaineasy1.jpg

Agreed, it looks like a animated 3D cartoon :applause:

It certainly makes a large difference when there is focus on the backgrounds. Great art work.

BZ - Dark Horse published a reprint of It Rhymes with Lust in 2007. Sorry for the blurry pics - camera in one hand and digest in the other! This may be heresy (pace Joanna!), but while Baker is a master draftsman, with an graceful, gracile line, he is not comparatively versed in the use of spot blacks in the way that, say Reed Crandall displayed!

Nice job with the one-handed pics! I need to get the Dark Horse reprint. Those are some vintage female poses by Baker. Interesting about the spot blacks. I've also heard it referred to as zip-a-tone. It's kind of 3-D!

Here is a rarely seen Baker illustration from a western pulp. I love this illustration. There is so much to take in...the tenseness of the cowboys against the backdrop of the swirling winds and angular horse thrown off balance by the wind. This is such a great piece!!!

MBakerIllustrationadj.jpg

Edited by JvR11

MBakerIllustrationadj.jpg

Baker's style of inking for this illo is different than what I usually associate with his work.

It's a little more rough hewn.

Do you have any more samples of his work for the pulps?

Here are some nice examples of artwork by Roy Crane that was reprinted in Captain Easy #13.

Very nice! That issue also has a cool cover by Alex Schomburg - any chance you could show us that? :wishluck:

Joe Doolin, Fiction House cover artist did some work for the pulps, too.

Thanks for sharing the Doolin illos. Those look to be in the tradition of Charles Dana Gibson and would not necessarily be out of place for a magazine published a couple decades earlier than they were.

Those ... would not necessarily be out of place for a magazine published a couple decades earlier than they were.

That's an interesting point, Alan, especially considering what he would eventually do! It's all about line with Doolin, which made him perfectly suited to Fiction House's hi-color style. His line was clean, precise, in a way, unobtrusive. He made the most of relatively limited gifts.

PlanetComics3275.jpg

Edited by alanna

By way of contrast - and returning to the subject of spot blacks, here is Al Williamson (a far more richly talented illustrator than Doolin) on masterful form in "The Beautiful Beast" (House of Mystery #185), which feels like an anachronism, very much in the EC house style of two decades earlier. The story is actually a retelling of a pre-code horror story. A no-prize to anyone who can identify it. (One clue, it's not an EC!)

mis66bc001.jpg

mis66bc002.jpg

mis66bc003.jpg

mis66bc004.jpg

Edited by alanna

Williamson is amazing! I used to get upset when he did the inset panel like on this page as I felt he was covering up part of his art and thus depriving the reader. rantrant

I'm more chillaxed now. :)

mis66bc002.jpg

I discovered Al Williamson while reading my freshly-purchased back issue of Tales Of Suspense #1. I had by this time quit my practice of boring my family by forcing them to look at Kirby, but I was so thrilled with Williamson that I made them all check it out.

He got better reviews than The King.

I discovered Al Williamson while reading my freshly-purchased back issue of Tales Of Suspense #1. I had by this time quit my practice of boring my family by forcing them to look at Kirby, but I was so thrilled with Williamson that I made them all check it out.

He got better reviews than The King.

From a Memorial Day interview with Joe Kubert

In closing, you awarded the Al Williamson Scholarship at the Kubert School the other day. I was wondering if you wanted to talk about Williamson and the role he played at the school?

Al was one of the most talented guys. Al taught here at the school for a couple years. I had some of the greatest arguments with him that you could think of. [Laughs] He was a great guy. He had an incredible sense of humor and he was just a nice guy. I met his son for the first time when we gave out the scholarship the other day to the person who won it here at the school.

Al and I would discuss in front of the class what our approaches were to drawing for comic books. My point has always been, nobody sees your original. Everybody sees the printed stuff, so you’ve got to do your drawings but keeping always in mind what it’s going to look like when it’s printed. Because if you work too fine, if you use too fine a line in your original work, it’s going to break up and look terrible because that’s what it’s going to look like in the book. "Right, Al," I’d say? He’d say, no. He said, "I get too much gratification out of doing as fine a line as I possibly can on the originals. I don’t give a damn what they look like when it’s printed." [Laughs] Those were the kinds of things that went on at the school.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32514

An old time illustrator whose work I admire is Lee Conrey.

I first heard of him when I was reading about artists who were high on Lou Fine's list of favorites.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find much info about him despite his being a frequent contributor to Hearst's Sunday newspaper supplement "The American Weekly" for over 20 years (1920's-1940's).

LeeConrey2.jpg

LeeConrey1.jpg